Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#236494 - 11/29/11 09:25 PM Anything like ( The Colony ) ???
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I saw ( the Colony ) show lately and liked it alot. So my question is : are there any other ( urban survival ) shows like the Colony ?

I am mostly interested in improvising, making educated decisions, and using hands and tools.

Rambo-like movies and zombie-related shows are not my cup of tea.

#236501 - 11/29/11 09:56 PM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Chisel]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
There was something by the guy that ate at MickeyDees for a month. Morgan Spurlock?

Anyhow, they had a load of people, 10 I think, playing caveman. I had to turn it off when one young lady whined and sniveled that it was too hard and not fun. Maybe she expected caterers or something.

Big whinesnivelfest when they were deciding to move to be nearer the only available meat in the area, or to stay put and eat non-existant (to them anyhow) root, berries and weeds... rabbit food.
These clowns couldn't have found their sitons with two hand, a flashlight and a map.

Just saying it was out there, not saying to watch it.

#236507 - 11/29/11 10:31 PM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Chisel]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Not "reality" shows, but the couple that have some urban scenarios I've seen (or at least seen advertised are) Surviving Disaster on Spike and Worst Case Scenario with Bear Grylls on the Discovery Channel. Spike has full episodes of Surviving Disaster online.

I haven't seen the Bear Grylls one yet, and I've only seen bits and pieces of the Spike one. From what I've seen they are focussed more on short-term survival (e.g., getting out of a burning hi-rise) as opposed to the more mid to long-term focus of The Colony.

As far as improvisation and building things go, I always liked Junkyard Wars but I haven't seen anything like it on TV lately.

#236512 - 11/29/11 10:42 PM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
More in the realm of fiction than not are the 2 I'm currently watching: Jeramiah (US) and Survivors (BBC). Interesring food for thought.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#236518 - 11/29/11 11:04 PM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: bacpacjac]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
More in the realm of fiction than not are the 2 I'm currently watching: Jeramiah (US) and Survivors (BBC). Interesring food for thought.

Pity Survivors was cancelled. I also liked Jericho.

I'd be interested in a reality series that took some housing-bust cul-de-sac and set up several households for a couple weeks of middle class American life before replicating an EMP scenario.

I'd rather be a spectator than participant.

#236521 - 11/29/11 11:13 PM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Pity Survivors was cancelled. I also liked Jericho.

I'd be interested in a reality series that took some housing-bust cul-de-sac and set up several households for a couple weeks of middle class American life before replicating an EMP scenario.

I'd rather be a spectator than participant.

Agreed. On all counts.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#236530 - 11/30/11 12:33 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Dagny]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Pity Survivors was cancelled.

+1 Survivors was a great TV show. I can't believe they cancelled it after just one season!

#236538 - 11/30/11 01:09 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I always figure Survivors and Jericho and shows like it are cancelled because it brings up the uncomfortable reality of things.

And the countless police and CSI-type TV shows that depict every manner of murder and mayhem don't?

#236557 - 11/30/11 02:49 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
You could further argue that people watch these shows because within the span of 40 minutes and commercials the good guys catch the bad guys.

I think that is a great observation; that is exactly why I like watching Criminal Minds - they always get the bad guy smile.

#236658 - 12/01/11 05:54 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Chisel]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My wife and I got into watching Stuck With Hackett on I believe Discovery earlier this year.

He's basically got a few engineering degrees and more than a few screws loose and makes comfort items out of junk, which he call Unobtainium. One episode he was in a house off the grid in the desert and he made a windmill for the roof and rigged a VW engine to be a generator to turn on a tv and vcr, coffee pot work and some christmas lights twinkle. Modern conveniences off grid.

Another one he was in an abandoned hospital and he made a massively bright portable klieg light for searching and then tiny tiny light and power source to run a movie projector.

He was pretty interesting and got you thinking.

This link below is for downloading full episodes, I did not try it.
http://one-tvshows.eu/tv/stuck-with-hackett/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.