Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#236659 - 12/01/11 06:30 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Everyone crying about the elk/deer they killed.
The mark of a true survivor.

HJ

#236689 - 12/02/11 01:12 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Interestingly enough our Blast was given an offer I believe to be one of the "contestants" on the second season of The Colony. Blast's a Ph.D in Organic Chemistry (I think that's the one), is well known in his area for his prowess in regards to Wild Edibles.

Physical Organic chemistry, actually. cool
They offered me $10,000 for ten weeks of my time on the second season of The Colony but I had to turn them down.

As for good shows:
Rough Science Imagine PBS doing "The Colony" using only scientists and engineers.
Scrapheap Challenge (aka Junkyard Wars)
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#236697 - 12/02/11 03:10 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Blast]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Blast

They offered me $10,000 for ten weeks of my time on the second season of The Colony but I had to turn them down.

As for good shows:
Rough Science Imagine PBS doing "The Colony" using only scientists and engineers.
Scrapheap Challenge (aka Junkyard Wars)
-Blast

I am surprised that a major production such as "The Colony" would only offer $1000.00 per week. Not that I would ever apply for any show, however the pay rate would have to be well north of $1000.00 per week to cover my job salary to even make it worth my time.

John Lubbock

#236699 - 12/02/11 03:45 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

I am surprised that a major production such as "The Colony" would only offer $1000.00 per week. Not that I would ever apply for any show, however the pay rate would have to be well north of $1000.00 per week to cover my job salary to even make it worth my time.

The Colony (and most other shows) are developed by relatively small production companies and then they sell the show to Discovery. $10,000 was the top end fee. I believe some only got $6000 for the 10 weeks. I wanted to be on the show but my boss told me my real job wouldn't be there when I returned. frown

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had done it...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#236701 - 12/02/11 04:14 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Blast]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Blast

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had done it...

-Blast

The survivors would have been eating a lot better.

#236712 - 12/02/11 05:31 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: fooman]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
& probably have no need for a "Defensive Perimeter" either,lol! whistle

#236715 - 12/02/11 12:09 PM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Awwwww, professor Blast !

You turned it down ??? You could have been a big help to professor John C in many of his investions.

It is not too late though for us ETS members to get some compensation. Could you please write a few points of what you would have added or done differently ?

#236716 - 12/02/11 12:15 PM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Question to everyone who really know this "reality TV' stuff and especially the the Colony show. How muych of it is real ??

For example:

1 - They ate rats. Did they really do it or were the rats replaced by some chicken nuggets ?

2 - Professor John C .. I got senmtimental when he talked about his deceased son. Was that real ? I like to think so .

As a matter of fact I liked John C; a guy with a big brain and a big heart.

3 - The gasifier in the truck !!! The lower barrel which contains the fire that should heat the coal in the internal barrel .. that outer barrel had no holes for ventillation !! So , how real was that gasifier ??

#236846 - 12/05/11 09:54 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I watched The Colony season 1 and most of season 2 ... well, I think season 1 group was better organized and handled it better. While group 2 did a great job of establishing a power source ( the windmill) and some like Sally the mechanic and Reno did a few nice projects, but overall they were not lucky enough or roganized enough to achive more. I am starting to feel releived that Blast didn't join the 2nd season. Maybe he would have helped them catch and cook more cocordiles.

Through You-tube, I started downloading and watching some of the others you have suggested ( thanks ), like ( I shouldn't be alive ). I remember seeing that show before but totally forgot about it . Very nice to watch it again.

I have also been watching (Dual Survival) and (Man, Woman, and Wild). I like the Dual Survival show ( Cody Lundin & Dave Canterbury) but didn't like MWW because it doesn't look serious enough.

I am now downloading episodes of BBC-Survivors and they seem to be in three seasons. I hope they will be what I am looking for because most the quick scenes I have seen so far are indoor and not in the wilderness. That is exactly what I am loking for.

Thanks everyone.

#236875 - 12/06/11 03:01 AM Re: Anything like ( The Colony ) ??? [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Chisel,if you get the chance,watch the episode of Man,Woman,Wild where they are in the Sonoran Desert,that one is Real!It is not a Desert like you are accustomed to but,it is a forbidding place no less.Cheers! cool

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.