The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#236679 - 12/01/11 06:39 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I've got a Buck/Hartsook Ultralight that I've used as a neck knife from time to time. Between the good retention system and being such a small/lightweight knife it works well as a neck knife.

Unfortunately, the diminutive size and lack of handle scales also make it uncomfortable to use for anything more than light tasks.

#236681 - 12/01/11 07:44 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
This is where kydex sheath comes in, you can reform it to whatever tightness you desire, I've tweaked most of mine. Not something you can do with leather or injection molded sheath.

#236696 - 12/02/11 03:04 AM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

The only time I carry tip up is scuba diving with a short dive knife on my BCD strap

#236824 - 12/04/11 09:51 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I've seen sheath knives on pack straps -- handle down/ tip up ( usually on the lift side). I've tried, but I can't see any reason why tip up is better than tip down.
Please advise.

I prefer to keep my sheath knife on a side strap on the pack rather than the pack strap. Not only that, I have the lanyard looped in the strap as double insurance. It is pretty rare indeed that a person needs to have a sheath knife "on the ready" but if people feel comfortable with that then that's their business.

#236860 - 12/05/11 10:52 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
i hike in the los padres national forest. i typically do not see anyone else on the trails that i hike.

and there are cats out there.

when i was new to hiking i carried a fixed blade, in a kydex sheath, upside down, on my backpack's shoulder strap. the sheath had a snap button strap that secured the handle of the knife. it wasn't going anywhere unless needed.

i felt that if a cat ever pounced on me from behind grabbing my neck - as is their style - and although face down in the dirt, i just might be able to readily reach the knife and give the cat a real surprise.

the more i read about human / cat interactions, the number of people killed, and about the life of the cats, i came to realize that an encounter with mr. cougar would be a very rare event should it happen to me.

so i stopped carrying the knife that way.

it was just a choice i made.

but i have watched ranger shows on t.v.

dexter, too. grin

#236866 - 12/06/11 12:32 AM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: bsmith]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A small confession. I have hiked for decades in cat country, including one area in Arizona where the rancher I came to know quite well had never been able to raise a foal to adulthood because of cat predation. In that area I have seen cat tracks on top of mine while descending from a climb.

I also hike a fair amount of time in the Los Padres.

In all of that - cat encounters - zero. Cat sightings - zero. Cat sightings and encounters by friends and associates - zero.

Mountain lions are interesting complex critters, but they are an insignificant hazard to humans. Just look at the statistics. Small children are more at risk, but that is why they have parents.

I usually carry my knife in my pack or on my belt.

#236868 - 12/06/11 01:04 AM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: hikermor]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
all of what you say aided in my decision-making process to not carry that knife - at all.

every ranger i have ever encountered has been asked the question - none have seen a live cat in the woods, not even the backcountry rangers.

i do have a sharp or two with me - in my pack.

i, too, have seen prints over my tracks. eerie.

#236871 - 12/06/11 02:16 AM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: bsmith]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I've seen Mountain Lions in Los Padres 3 times in the last 2 yrs!I saw one from a distance,about 1/8 mile in Malibu.I've seen & observed a Mountain Lion with 2 cubs in or near the Sespe Wilderness area for about 5 minutes!I see Coyotes & Packs of Dogs often as well as Many Mulies,& I've seen Black Bear in Soledad Cyn.,recently last summer! I think rangers are holding back from telling the general public,what they actually do see on a daily basis.Tip up or Tip down,Just make sure you have at least one with you,when you are hiking!

#236873 - 12/06/11 02:47 AM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: Richlacal]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Big Cats always scared the crap out of me. Unlike most animals you almost never hear them or see them. More often than not, the only way you know they were there, is because you see their tracks on the way back. More than a few times I've seen their tracks following me. As you can imagine, it's a very eery feeling.

#236884 - 12/06/11 08:04 AM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Years ago I briefly dated a girl that worked at a Zoo in Nebraska. Once she took me in to show me the animals. I was about eight feet away from a pair of cougars in a pen and I couldn't freakin' believe how big they are! Having seen housecats intimidate large dogs I can scarcely imagine what a cat that size could do, or what possible good a knife would do you. Obviously it would be a lot better than nothing, but I have to think your odds of successfully fighting a mountain line with a knife are pretty slim.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.