Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#236600 - 11/30/11 05:21 PM Tip up carry? I just don't get it
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've seen sheath knives on pack straps -- handle down/ tip up ( usually on the lift side). I've tried, but I can't see any reason why tip up is better than tip down.
Please advise.

#236605 - 11/30/11 05:51 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Teacher..Ranger wana-be's..

#236608 - 11/30/11 06:05 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Some of the GI Joe action figures carry knives this way. I'm sure that's a big part of it.

#236614 - 11/30/11 06:23 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I've seen sheath knives on pack straps -- handle down/ tip up ( usually on the lift side). I've tried, but I can't see any reason why tip up is better than tip down.
Please advise.

Depends on what you are doing.

On a pack - no. Good way to loose your knife.
On an LBV or a Life preserver it's a different story. You use tip up when you have to engage that tool one handed. Under those circumstances Tip Down is easier to engage with either hand.

#236615 - 11/30/11 07:00 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I'm sure image comes into it too, but I think part of it is simply the desire to have your fixed blade accessible while wearing a large pack. The inverted carry may be the only way people have seen this achieved and therefore assume it is the best way to accomplish what they are trying to do.

#236618 - 11/30/11 07:19 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
Frisket Offline
Addict

99% of The things you see other people Doing is "Fad". The Survival Thing and Tacticool Thing is in major hype lately. They See People On youtube doing something for out of this world reasons and decide if they do it while doing normal things like hiking/camping, They will be noticed on the trail and identified as something they most likely are not such as "Prepared or Hardcore".

I Dont honestly even see a reason for normal everyday Hiking/camping to have it on your pack straps. I would feel it be more cumbersome then useful. Should I just carry a 12g Shotgun at the ready all the time because SMHTF While Im hiking too? I Personally thing its only smart to do when you Have the immediate possibility of need to cut something off you or cut yourself free from something But not hiking/camping.

#236621 - 11/30/11 07:56 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Tip up seems like a good idea if the knife is secure somehow. Although I don't do it, tip up on a shoulder strap could more easily be made faster to deploy.

I do see a need to access a knife quickly. As one of many examples, you're walking and some weed/twine gets wrapped around your legs, holding you. I personally would not want to spend 30 seconds brute forcing my way out or fumbling for my knife. I'd rather deploy my knife quickly and get out as soon as possible. There are many other examples in which I'd want quick access to my knife.

#236623 - 11/30/11 07:59 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Tip up shoulder strap carry makes it faster to get to the knife with either hand. The disadvantages are it's easier to lose the knife and it better be a d**n good sheath or you're going to give yourself a tracheotomy the first time you trip.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#236626 - 11/30/11 08:24 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
In my opinion, the benefits of carrying a fixed-blade knife tip up are rarely worth the risk. It is always a good way to expedite loosing you knife.

#236627 - 11/30/11 09:07 PM Re: Tip up carry? I just don't get it [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
In the movie The Green Berets some of the troops carried their knives like that, wrapped in 90 mph tape. I also think in Platoon some of the troops did the same. Tom Berenger carried his push knife like that iirc.

Looks cool. Until you lose your knife. Until the tip up snags every freaking "wait a minute" vine in the jungle. Until you fall on that side and your knife about stabs you in the eye.

Then you put the knife on your belt where it belongs.

Unless you want to be ultra special cool macho and carry a sword on your back... but those people need professional help anyhow.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.