Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#236081 - 11/21/11 11:33 PM Re: Making Stoves out of Cans [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Jim, when you say efficient, you are referring to some measure of liters of water boiled per ounces of alcohol consumed, right? Do you have figures on how efficient the Trangia is compared to some of the others.

It boils down to the ultimate question - how many days use will it take the more efficient Trangia to overcome its burdensome (3 oz!) weight? Enquiring minds want to know....

How is it possible that no one has as yet favored us with a Titanium Trangia (Tirangia?)?
Trangia did put out a Ti version for a while. I think just the windscreens were Ti. It was relatively expensive compared to the aluminum versions -- and the aluminum versions were (still are) already quite expensive. It must not have done well; it was discontinued. Part of what may have killed the Ti version was that Trangia changed their alloy. Their current alloy is quite a bit lighter than say my pre 1988 version. I'm not sure there was enough weight savings between the current alloy and the Ti versions to justify the cost.

There is a Titanium burner available from Evernew that is similar to a Trangia burner. It is not as efficient as the Trangia burner from the tests I've seen.

And, yes, when I say efficient, I mean the ability to do "X" amount of "work" (boiling water in this case) with a given amount of fuel. In my tests, the Trangia burner in a stand alone configuration (i.e. without the patented windshields) was able to boil water consistently with less than 3/4 fl. ounce whereas many of the stoves shown in the photo above could not.

I haven't done the painstaking work to calculate the break even point where the greater efficiency of a Trangia burner makes up for the lighter weight of some of the aluminum beverage can burners. That's a lot of work if you do it right. Time hasn't permitted.

As a "short cut" (partially), I just "baseline" any alcohol stove I test against the Trangia burner. If it can't match up against a Trangia, then it's not particularly efficient. If it can beat a Trangia, then it's a pretty darned good burner. My Caldera Cone when used as a system (cone + 12-10 stove) beats a Trangia in a Clikstand set up in terms of efficiency. I haven't compared a full Trangia 27 set up to the Caldera Cone (sort of like comparing an aircraft carrier to a PT boat, totally different class of thing).

HJ

#236103 - 11/22/11 06:38 AM Re: Making Stoves out of Cans [Re: Blast]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Blast
My batch-load inverted downdraft gassifier stove made from cans:
Part 1.
Part 2.
-Blast
Pretty cool. Wish wood fires weren't so frowned upon in (dry) Southern California. I could (if you'll pardon the expression) have a blast.

From Blast's blog:
Quote:
A word of warning though, building camp stoves can become an addiction...
Say it isn't so!

Good thing that hasn't happened to me. wink

HJ

#236104 - 11/22/11 06:47 AM Re: Making Stoves out of Cans [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, you've made thousands of stoves and never once got addicted! grin

#236105 - 11/22/11 06:55 AM Re: Making Stoves out of Cans [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Yeah, you've made thousands of stoves and never once got addicted! grin
Exactly! I'm glad we cleared that up.

HJ

#236106 - 11/22/11 07:06 AM Re: Making Stoves out of Cans [Re: bacpacjac]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

On a more serious note, re the following:
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

You can use any alcohol, but as HikinJim says in his stove blog, if you use Kleen-Strip® Green™ Denatured Alcohol, it will burn hotter than things like Sterno, rubbing alcohol and Heet, so you can actually boil water.

I haven't tried the exact stove that bacpacjac is describing, but:
-Probably any denatured alcohol will work.
-"Green" denatured alcohol has a higher ethanol content than most denatured alcohols and therefore will burn a little hotter which might give you a little faster boil time.
-Methanol (such as HEET in the yellow bottle) will work although it might be a little slower than denatured alcohol. Methanol is typically a better choice than denatured alcohol in cold weather.
-Sterno tends to be really slow. I don't think anyone would try to scoop out some Sterno onto bacpacjac's stove, but just in case that was on your mind, it probably won't work very well.
-Isopropanaol (rubbing alcohol or HEET in the red bottle) will kind of work, but it's typically a big, smokey mess.

I definitely don't recommend isopropanol and sterno. The other three (regular denatured alcohol, green denatured alcohol, and methanol) should all work reasonably well. High proof drinking alcohol (at least 150 proof) will also work, but that's an expensive way to go and, well, it seems like kind of a waste.

HJ

#236245 - 11/25/11 03:29 AM Re: Making Stoves out of Cans [Re: kd7fqd]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: kd7fqd
Try this on for size
Tuna Can Stoves

Link corrected by HJ

Thanks kd7fqd. Great thread! Making a tuna can stove is now on our project list!

Do you think this would work with an altoids tin as well?

Edited by bacpacjac (11/25/11 03:42 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#236246 - 11/25/11 03:31 AM Re: Making Stoves out of Cans [Re: Blast]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Blast!

#236247 - 11/25/11 03:40 AM Re: Making Stoves out of Cans [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks gang! It's going to be fun to experiment with at home.

DS tried to make a wood burning stove out of a pop/soda can in the summer and his twigs ended up burning through the thin aluminum. We're going with stronger cans from now on. He's got a collection going of different ones and I think we'll start with the tuna can this weekend.

Physics IS fun after all!

#236248 - 11/25/11 03:49 AM Re: Making Stoves out of Cans [Re: KenK]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Ken, I could not have said it better myself. I am one of hundreds of thousands of men who really can look back (I just turned 40 this September)at my past and see how much Scouting and the Explorer programs influenced me. I made it to Life Scout but not Eagle. Very few people make Eagle Scout, Please pass on to your Son for me a hearty Well Done!
Matt

#236310 - 11/26/11 02:05 AM Re: Making Stoves out of Cans [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

2 small soup cans, 2 large soup cans, 2 large coffee cans, 2 half-size large coffee cans, 2 tuna cans, 2 altoids tins, 1 pack of esbit fuel tabs, 1 pack of zip fire starters, some wax, some butcher's twine, some corrugated cardboard and a pile of twigs ready for experimenting this weekend with DS.

Attempt number one, in July 2011, of making a stove out of a pop can was a fail.

Lots of heat but we burnt through the can and had to put it into the can we put on top of it to try to boil water.

Lesson #1 - don't put you can stove on something flammable like a woo. The wooden pinic table we were using got scorched.

Lesson #2 - keep to hand something the you can handle the burning can with (i.e. tongs, oven mitts) and somewhere to put it, or some way to snuff it if it gets out of hand.

Lesson # 3 - aluminum cans are thin and a roaring twig fire inside them will burn through them.

Edited by bacpacjac (11/26/11 03:25 AM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.