Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#236503 - 11/29/11 10:11 PM Surviving a third world trip with kids
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
So. . .

The family and I will be heading off on a vacation in the not-to-distant future to visit a cousin who lives on the Pacific coast of Nicaragua.

Having lived my teen years during the 80s, it still seems odd to me to say that I'm going to Nicaragua on vacation!

That said, I'm going down with my wife and our 3- and 5-year old sons. We will be staying with my cousin who is married to a local woman, and they run a business together. We have all been to the travel clinic for our shots.

While in my single life I did a fair amount of travel to remote places, this, I'm sure, will be different. Anyone have any experience in travel of this sort with young kids? Suggestions for items we should bring or things we should prepare for that may be out of the ordinary?

I'm already preparing to bring a fairly well stocked medical kit, as I understand that medical care may be delayed in an emergency (I'm an EMT), and we have purchased evacuation insurance should anyone need it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

#236515 - 11/29/11 10:49 PM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Bacpacjac the mom here:

-Foods familiar to the kids that you know you'll eat?

-kids meds?

-Duplicates of their favorite stuffies, blankies, etc. (leaving the originals at home - if the original gets lost that far from home it could be a disaster in itself.)

-flashlights for the kids (unfamiliar places can be scarey, especially in the dark)

-stuff to occupy them on the flight and on any layovers

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#236526 - 11/29/11 11:55 PM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
Hornfrog Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I have not taken children on long air flights to distant lands but I have observed parents with small children on my trips each year to India. The 21 hours of flying time involving one connecting flight with the same families was an obvious ordeal for them. Children just get impatient with the sitting for so long. The most successful parents seem to get the kids up about once an hour and walk up and down the aisles. They have coloring books and small, quiet toys for them to play with in their seats. Also, the airlines seem to really plan for this by putting these folks on bulkhead rows so they have a little more room. Of course travelling first class with kids would be the best but such seats on my flights are about $12,000.00, which is out of reach of most young families. Once in a country such as India, you have to remember not to ever drink the water and even when showering to keep eyes and mouth shut, especially for children, whose immune systems are not quite as robust as adults. When ice is offered it is best to refuse it because it is usually made with tap water, so is not safe. Some hotels actually advertise that they make their ice with bottled water. In the large cities you can find McDonalds and even Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken and in Bangalore, the only place in India I could find an actual beef pattie in a hamburger was at a Hard Rock Cafe. I would imagine that anywhere in the Western Hemisphere you should be able to find the kind of junk food that kids seem to require. If you try the local foods, kids usually do not like them because they are not familiar with them. When I travel I carry two courses of Cipro for a number of reasons and one of Flagicillin for terrible dysentary or parasites. I have not ever contracted the guinea worm parasites, thank goodness, but one does not know till they bore through the side or bottom of your foot a year after entering your digestive system and have to be pulled out surgically and are about three feet long! You will need some kind of tube of anti-biotic creme for small scrapes and cuts, etc. And I take an anti-malarial profilaxis, arythromycin, which I start a few days before leaving and take the whole time I am in India and then for a month after returning home. Remember to spray Deep Woods Off on the children especially when going out but remember, often the greatest danger is at night while they sleep so prevention is the key. These would be considerations for small children anywhere mosquitoes are found and sanitation is questionable and unreliable potable water. Remember, these very interesting places are great for adults who follow take the cautionary medical advice seriously.

#236529 - 11/30/11 12:31 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

regarding your trip to nicaragua, the american embassy's website is nicaragua embassy.

it has a wealth of information that will save you a telephone call.

your relatives will know what will be safe - or not - for you to do.

keep in mind the american embassy or consulate is not a travel agency, is not a traveler's aid society, nor is their main, or even minor, purpose for our ( american citizens' ) benefit, and should be used in dire emergencies or as a last resort only.

yeah, i was surprised by that too.

be sure to bring extra batteries for your camera.

the kids will love the howler monkeys.

i'm sure you'll have a great time and the kids will bring home a lot of memories!

#236534 - 11/30/11 12:54 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Harness and leashes for the kids. Really. They can move faster than you can see/react/chase.

I would take a couple of bags of granola and energy bars, but make sure you taste-test them on the kids first.

Glow sticks could be very useful. The ones from the dollar store would work fine for most of your purposes, like lighting the way to the bathroom, etc.

+1 on the insect repellent. Here's one reason: My good friend's nephew We were just talking about it a couple of nights ago, and he's still got it but it's better, he's still being treated, one of his kidney's is still affected and will probably always be.

If you're going to be staying in one area, find out immediately what places you could use for help (short of the embassy) that would be safe and reliable, and both of you should have the list.

And have a good time!

Sue

Edited by Susan (11/30/11 12:57 AM)

#236546 - 11/30/11 02:01 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
elmonsanto Offline
Stranger

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Preventing dehydration is a big concern since you really don't want to drink tap water or brush your teeth with it. Just remember to keep lots of bottled water around and remind everyone to stay well hydrated. A least in Mexico and Peru, every food store carried bottled water.

You might want to carry a dictionary and phrase book that covers Spanish medical terms. I had a toothache once in Peru so I needed antibiotics. The physician I found spoke no English so I had to describe my symptoms and what I needed in Spanish. A similar thing also happened to me in Mexico. I got good medical care both times but it would have been a problem if I hadn't been able to explain myself in Spanish.

Buen viaje,
Lynn

#236549 - 11/30/11 02:10 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
During these troubled times, did you consider sending your relatives plane tickets to the nicest place you can think of in Free America?

Here is the current State Department Report -

CRIME: Guatemala has one of the highest violent crime rates in Latin America. In the first seven months of 2011, approximately 42 murders a week were reported in Guatemala City alone. While the vast majority of murders do not involve foreigners, the sheer volume of activity means that local officials, who are inexperienced and underpaid, are unable to cope with the problem. Rule of law is lacking as the judicial system is weak, overworked, and inefficient. Well-armed criminals know there is little chance they will be caught or punished.

The number of violent crimes reported by U.S. citizens and other foreigners has remained high and incidents have included, but are not limited to, assault, theft, armed robbery, carjacking, rape, kidnapping, and murder, even in areas once considered safe such as zones 10, 14, and 15 in the capital. To decrease the likelihood of becoming a victim, do not display items of value, such as laptops, iPods, cameras, and jewelry and refrain from using a cellphone on the street. The Embassy discourages carrying large sums of money. Do not resist if you are being robbed. Victims have been killed when they resisted attack or refused to give up their money or other valuables. Assailants are often armed with guns and do not hesitate to use them if you resist.

Gangs are a growing concern in both Guatemala City and rural Guatemala. Gang members are often well armed with sophisticated weaponry and they sometimes use massive amounts of force. Emboldened armed robbers have attacked vehicles on main roads in broad daylight. Travel on rural roads increases the risk of being stopped by a criminal roadblock or ambush. Widespread narcotics and alien-smuggling activities make remote areas especially dangerous. However, there is no evidence that U.S. citizens are specifically targeted. Criminals look for every opportunity to attack, so all travelers should remain constantly vigilant.

U.S. Embassy personnel observe heightened security precautions in Guatemala City and throughout the country. Rather than traveling alone, use a reputable tour organization. Stay in groups, travel in a caravan consisting of two or more vehicles, and stay on the main roads. Ensure that someone not traveling with you is aware of your itinerary. Avoid hotels that do not have adequate security. Intercity travel after dark anywhere in Guatemala is extremely dangerous and should be avoided altogether. It is preferable to stay in the main tourist destinations. Pay close attention to your surroundings, especially when walking or driving in Guatemala City.

A number of travelers have experienced carjackings and armed robberies after just having arrived on international flights, most frequently in the evening. In the most common scenario, tourists or business travelers who land at the airport after dark are held up by armed men as their vehicle departs the airport, but similar incidents have occurred at other times of the day. Private vehicles, taxis and shuttle buses have all been targeted. Typically, the assailants steal money, passports, and luggage, and in some but not all cases, the assailants steal the vehicle as well. Recently, many of these attacks have taken place far from the airport, just as travelers were arriving at their homes, or in less busy areas of the city. Victims who did not resist the attackers were not physically injured. If you need to get a taxi upon arrival (particularly in the evening) call the Guatemalan tourist assistance agency, PROATUR, dial 1500 and they can call a radiotaxi to pick you up at the airport. Coordinate arrival times with those picking up passengers, minimize time spent standing outside in the airport passenger pick-up area, and do not walk out of the airport with valuables in plain sight. Laptops are frequently targeted, so carry them inconspicuously in a backpack or other carry-on luggage. In some cases, assailants have been wearing full or partial police uniforms and have used vehicles that resemble police vehicles, indicating that some elements of the police might be involved. Armed robberies have occurred within minutes of a tourist's vehicle having been stopped by the police.

Edited by ponder (11/30/11 02:23 AM)
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#236550 - 11/30/11 02:15 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Sounds like you have the medical, insurance and travel side of things sorted. You could make up a Help Me card, with local language and English which you could give to the kids, although they may be a bit young to carry it ?

So here’s my suggestion:

Bring a few inexpensive gifts / toys to give away, and some information about your home - some photos and maps.

When we travelled OS, we found that having kids would allow us a "relationship" with locals that are not always possible as an adult.

We bought a dozen-pack of little soft koalas, and when we had a nice play with some local kids, we could give them a small, inexpensive gift. We didn’t give one to every kids we met, but if we had a really nice play with some local kids, we gave them a little memento, but only if the parents were there too and could see how they had obtained it.

Local kids were very keen to practice their English. I wondered why they all asked the same round of questions, until DW pointed out that it they were the same questions that we learnt in language classes at school ! Once I realized this, I played along, answering their questions, and asking similar ones back. "How old are you ?" "I am XY years old. How old are you ?" ....... English is a very valuable skill, and getting to practice on a good natured foreigner is fun and valuable. We took the time to actually help some people with their pronunciation and to extend them a bit too !

Having a few pictures of home, some maps, showing where our town is, a few iconic pictures of Australia and its animals, allowed us to share a little with the locals. I’m sure you could muster a few iconic NY photos, some street scapes, office blocks, a map showing where NY is (include a map of US and a world map so they can see it in relationship to their country) ; some animal picks (bears, racoons, squirrels …..). I mounted map/pictures in the cover of my diary, so it was always handy.

I’m sure that you will not only “Survive a third world trip with kids”, you’ll thrive !

Edited by Aussie (11/30/11 02:15 AM)

#236552 - 11/30/11 02:39 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: ponder]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: ponder
During these troubled times, did you consider sending your relatives plane tickets to the nicest place you can think of in Free America?

Here is the current State Department Report -

CRIME: Guatemala has one of the highest violent crime rates in Latin America. In the first seven months of 2011, approximately 42 murders a week were reported in Guatemala City alone. While the vast majority of murders do not involve foreigners, the sheer volume of activity means that local officials, who are inexperienced and underpaid, are unable to cope with the problem. Rule of law is lacking as the judicial system is weak, overworked, and inefficient. Well-armed criminals know there is little chance they will be caught or punished.

The number of violent crimes reported by U.S. citizens and other foreigners has remained high and incidents have included, but are not limited to, assault, theft, armed robbery, carjacking, rape, kidnapping, and murder, even in areas once considered safe such as zones 10, 14, and 15 in the capital. To decrease the likelihood of becoming a victim, do not display items of value, such as laptops, iPods, cameras, and jewelry and refrain from using a cellphone on the street. The Embassy discourages carrying large sums of money. Do not resist if you are being robbed. Victims have been killed when they resisted attack or refused to give up their money or other valuables. Assailants are often armed with guns and do not hesitate to use them if you resist.

Gangs are a growing concern in both Guatemala City and rural Guatemala. Gang members are often well armed with sophisticated weaponry and they sometimes use massive amounts of force. Emboldened armed robbers have attacked vehicles on main roads in broad daylight. Travel on rural roads increases the risk of being stopped by a criminal roadblock or ambush. Widespread narcotics and alien-smuggling activities make remote areas especially dangerous. However, there is no evidence that U.S. citizens are specifically targeted. Criminals look for every opportunity to attack, so all travelers should remain constantly vigilant.

U.S. Embassy personnel observe heightened security precautions in Guatemala City and throughout the country. Rather than traveling alone, use a reputable tour organization. Stay in groups, travel in a caravan consisting of two or more vehicles, and stay on the main roads. Ensure that someone not traveling with you is aware of your itinerary. Avoid hotels that do not have adequate security. Intercity travel after dark anywhere in Guatemala is extremely dangerous and should be avoided altogether. It is preferable to stay in the main tourist destinations. Pay close attention to your surroundings, especially when walking or driving in Guatemala City.

A number of travelers have experienced carjackings and armed robberies after just having arrived on international flights, most frequently in the evening. In the most common scenario, tourists or business travelers who land at the airport after dark are held up by armed men as their vehicle departs the airport, but similar incidents have occurred at other times of the day. Private vehicles, taxis and shuttle buses have all been targeted. Typically, the assailants steal money, passports, and luggage, and in some but not all cases, the assailants steal the vehicle as well. Recently, many of these attacks have taken place far from the airport, just as travelers were arriving at their homes, or in less busy areas of the city. Victims who did not resist the attackers were not physically injured. If you need to get a taxi upon arrival (particularly in the evening) call the Guatemalan tourist assistance agency, PROATUR, dial 1500 and they can call a radiotaxi to pick you up at the airport. Coordinate arrival times with those picking up passengers, minimize time spent standing outside in the airport passenger pick-up area, and do not walk out of the airport with valuables in plain sight. Laptops are frequently targeted, so carry them inconspicuously in a backpack or other carry-on luggage. In some cases, assailants have been wearing full or partial police uniforms and have used vehicles that resemble police vehicles, indicating that some elements of the police might be involved. Armed robberies have occurred within minutes of a tourist's vehicle having been stopped by the police.

psst, hey ponder. he's going to nicaragua, not guatemala.

#236554 - 11/30/11 02:46 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: bsmith]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: bsmith
Originally Posted By: ponder

psst, hey ponder. he's going to nicaragua, not guatemala.

psst - THANKS! I better go get another scotch!
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 314 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.