Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#237512 - 12/17/11 07:18 PM Re: Camoflague in urban environment [Re: Chisel]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Urban= you want to blend in
Wilderness and lost = you want to stand out

Urban wear then: you want to look like everyone else on the bus, only more so.

#237767 - 12/22/11 12:20 PM Re: Camoflague in urban environment [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks guys

Yesterday, I found one of my kids leftover school bags. It is a beaten up messenger bag that looks used on the outside but seems to be OK in the inside. So, I want to transfer the contents of my GHB ( usually in the trunk of my car ) to this bag. It is of the right size and have lots of pockets outside and in.

Colors of this bag are navy blue in general, with writing and stars in dull silver. It is all OK, except for a red part in the front. Its area is about 2-3 in x 7 inches, and it is not straight. Sort of like a hawk's beak.

Is there anyway I can hide this red thing, making the bag look even more "un-attractive" and "un-interesting" ???

I am thinking of duct tape or black gorilla tape, but this red thing is not straight. Maybe I should take the time to cut the black tape to exact size and shape, but I thought maybe you guys have better ideas.

Thanks.

#237772 - 12/22/11 01:01 PM Re: Camoflague in urban environment [Re: Chisel]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
black spray paint or marker?

#237778 - 12/22/11 02:27 PM Re: Camoflague in urban environment [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Is there anyway I can hide this red thing, making the bag look even more "un-attractive" and "un-interesting" ???

Depending on how the bag is constructed, a patch can be sewed on if you have someone you can take it to who can sew.

Jeanette Isabelle

#237783 - 12/22/11 03:57 PM Re: Camoflague in urban environment [Re: NightHiker]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I've been using a North Face Surge in place of a
briefcase in a professional enviornment. To further tone it down, I blacked out the white lettering and reflective panels with a black permanent ink marker. This has worked out very well. It might work for your issue, as well.

#237791 - 12/22/11 06:09 PM Re: Camoflague in urban environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Depending on how the bag is constructed, a patch can be sewed on if you have someone you can take it to who can sew.

And to think, Home Economics was pushed off the curriculum as not being as "important" as other subjects. Cooking? Some simple sewing? Nah, that'll never be useful. crazy

I'm reminded of that classic line by Val Kilmer in the movie, Red Planet, in a tense moment when a group of astronauts that crash land on Mars need to calculate where they are so they can reach shelter.

"This is it. The moment they told us about in high school...where one day, algebra would save our lives." grin

#237794 - 12/22/11 07:38 PM Re: Camoflague in urban environment [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I do believe in the importance of handy skills like sewing , carpentry ..etc. but time hasn't helped .... Actually if sewing is an option I can ask someone to sew a larger pocket to cover the whole flap .. but then again, that would look "new".

Maybe the permenent marker is better, but how "permanent" is it ? I had another bag where an ink pen ran through the fabric of the bag. Also, leaving the bag in the trunk for weeks and weeks in summer heat & humidity will not peel off or discolor the ink ?

BTW, are there any nylon batches that are self adhesive and come in different colors ?

#237795 - 12/22/11 07:46 PM Re: Camoflague in urban environment [Re: 7point82]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Car stereo installers have gotten quite creative at building false floors or dividers. If you have a false seat back or false floor (in the trunk) covered with the appropriate automotive carpet almost no one is going to notice unless they are looking for it.

You can get a fair amount of stuff in a 4-6" false floor or a 12-15" false seat back.

You are right.
This might be helpful for anyone who is thinking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DztIyFvHCJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3FAdwJRhs&feature=relmfu

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.