The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#236254 - 11/25/11 05:59 AM Protecting your home from electrical "surges"
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I have seen many recommendations to turn off appliances, etcetera after a power failure to prevent damage, etcetera caused by the "surge" of elecricity when power comes back on. I do not have a clear understanding of this danger.

Is there something you can install between your home and the "grid" to automatically protect your house and everything in it from such dangers?

Thanks.

Edited by dweste (11/25/11 06:04 AM)

#236265 - 11/25/11 12:34 PM Re: Protecting your home from electrical "surges" [Re: dweste]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Surge protection can be installed at a whole house level. There are several companies that sell these and you need to understand how much protection you need/want in order to select one. Most homes have 100 Amp service or lower so the uninstalled cost for a decent unit should be below $300. Professional installation is usually required since this installs between your meter and your fuse/breaker panel. Most surge protectors also offer telephone and cable TV line protection along with some form of status indication.

The electrical grid we draw power from is not a static system, it is dynamically regulated and adjusted to maintain the voltage levels we expect. During very rapid changes in demand (power failures / restoration efforts) or lightning strikes (which can also sneak in through the phone or cable lines) it is possible for your appliances etc. to be exposed to out of tolerance (i.e. high or low) voltage levels. These are surges and they can destroy any appliance or device if the current/voltage levels are driven outside the design tolerance levels.

A whole home surge protector is a good idea these days and I would still use a portable / powerstrip protector for any really sensitive electronics, like computers and flat screen TVS.

- Eric

#236268 - 11/25/11 02:10 PM Re: Protecting your home from electrical "surges" [Re: dweste]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Most newer homes have a 150A-200A service, not 100A, my 150A is the smallest anyone has ever seen.

#236272 - 11/25/11 03:37 PM Re: Protecting your home from electrical "surges" [Re: dweste]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
While it's possible to have a power surge when the utility power comes back after an outage, it's more common in my experience to see power surges due to unexpected grid events (like mylar balloons shorting out power lines, a drunk driver knocking down a pole, lightning strikes, and so on).

All sensitive electronics should be connected via a good surge protector. That includes all computers and AV equipment. I've had good fortune with Trip-Lite and APC professionally.

A good whole-house surge suppressor sounds like a good idea, but I would also use individual surge suppressors in case something inside your house finds a way to cause a surge.

Make sure to check that the outlets you use are properly grounded if you want a surge suppressor to work correctly. It's a good idea to check this anyway. An outlet tester is cheap.

#236274 - 11/25/11 03:37 PM Re: Protecting your home from electrical "surges" [Re: dweste]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
The current (ha!) edition of Family Handyman has a piece on whole house surge protectors. They described two options; one installed at the panel and they described how a competent diy'er could do it if their panel had the room and the other option was a protector at the meter which is a definite pro install.

Our next house will have it for sure. No more wallwarts!

#236285 - 11/25/11 05:04 PM Re: Protecting your home from electrical "surges" [Re: Eugene]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I may be a bit dated - haven't been house shopping for nearly 15 yrs and trying to avoid the next round. smile

I suspect service size also varies greatly by local area standards and house size. I did a quick check and most of the newer housing divisions around here are starter/smaller family homes and have 100A standard with 150A or 200A as options.

In either case the cost for decent whole house protection is pretty reasonable compared to buying reliable outlet protectors.

- Eric

#236452 - 11/29/11 04:08 PM Re: Protecting your home from electrical "surges" [Re: ]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Service sizes are based on a calculation that is made according to the NEC. It has nothing to do with the age of the home, or even its size, although a larger house might have a larger service because the calculation ends up bigger.

Homes with gas appliances often do not require a very large service, but I think the smallest service the code allows these days is 150A for houses and 60 or 100A for apartments. I don't recall off the top of my head and am too lazy to look it up right this second.

Whole house surge protecters probably do a better job of protecting your stuff than the plug in units. Most modern electrical and electronic gear are pretty tolerant of the level of surges that the plug in units can protect against. It is all about how much energy the surge protector can absorb. The plug in units just do not have much capacity.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about surge protectors and even among people who one might think would know there are a lot of different thoughts on what is the "best" answer. I think the real answer is that no one really knows with any certainty, especially for residences.

One thing that is often a problem is the intersystem bonding. It is pretty critical that the grounding point for the incoming phone, cable, and or satellite lines be the same as for the structure's electrical system but it is quite common to see a seperate ground rod driven just for these connections. A very bad idea, but quite common.

Bob

#236473 - 11/29/11 07:22 PM Re: Protecting your home from electrical "surges" [Re: ]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: ILBob
There is a lot of misinformation out there about surge protectors and even among people who one might think would know there are a lot of different thoughts on what is the "best" answer. I think the real answer is that no one really knows with any certainty, especially for residences.

I've had a lot of surges (Close lightning strikes, I guess) burn out surge protectors I have things plugged into. I later bought a $100 cable, power and phone surge protector (big honkin' thing) for all of my electronics (Computer, DVD, TV..etc, etc) and it came with a 5 year $25,000 guarantee to stop the surge before it hurts your electronics. Sure enough....it worked.

Unfortunately, these kind of reports can be extremely misleading. Often if there are a series of surges on the lines coming from the utility, it is for a reason, and the utility is able to resolve the reasons for the surges. It is quite possible, maybe even probable, that the end of your problems was just coincidental to your purchase of a surge protector.

To be quite candid, the supposed guarantees of the companies providing these products are of dubious value. How would one ever prove that your device failed because of a surge the surge protector did not prevent? In fact, how would one prove a "surge" killed the device in the first place?

Bob

#236480 - 11/29/11 08:21 PM Re: Protecting your home from electrical "surges" [Re: ILBob]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ILBob
To be quite candid, the supposed guarantees of the companies providing these products are of dubious value. How would one ever prove that your device failed because of a surge the surge protector did not prevent? In fact, how would one prove a "surge" killed the device in the first place?

Tripp Lite and APC have both paid out on these guarantees that I know of. I have no data (anecdotal or otherwise) for others. I imagine that a competent electrical engineer can tell whether a power surge fried something.

#236489 - 11/29/11 08:53 PM Re: Protecting your home from electrical "surges" [Re: dweste]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 421 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.