Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#235814 - 11/18/11 07:30 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Now I'm very curious if the jet can be changed to run liquid fuel. It gets expensive though, the 25 plus gas burner is already about same cost as omnifuel, then you gotta add the pump and jets and it's $200+. Probably easier to fabricate a similar windshield system for the latter.

#235840 - 11/18/11 06:17 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Now I'm very curious if the jet can be changed to run liquid fuel. It gets expensive though, the 25 plus gas burner is already about same cost as omnifuel, then you gotta add the pump and jets and it's $200+. Probably easier to fabricate a similar windshield system for the latter.

Yeah it can get pricey. I tend to watch and wait on stove items. You never know when something might come along.

I bought my Omnifuel used for less than $100. It was in wonderful condition.

I bought my Trangia 27 used also. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't much. The lid, pot gripper, strap, and burner were missing. I had to buy a burner (less than $20), but a friend had a spare lid, and I was able to piece the other things together from what I had on hand.

With my Trangia 27, I can probably just take the legs off my Omnifuel and rig up something to hold the burner in place inside the windscreen. No need for me to buy the Trangia gas burner since I have a full Omnifuel.

For someone who already has a Trangia gas burner, they just need to buy a fuel pump that has a 7/16" UNEF threaded connector. No need to buy the whole stove. The pump from a Brunton Vapor All Fuel is one. The pump from an Omnifuel is another. There are also some cheap Chinese fuel pumps available on eBay. I wouldn't trust my life to the Chinese ones though. eek Of course you'll need a fuel bottle, but any fuel bottle with compatible threads will do: Sigg, Primus, Optimus, MSR, and Snow Peak all have the same threads. Pick one up for cheap at a garage sale.

If you don't have an Omnifuel or a Trangia Gas burner, the burner from an Optimus 111C or 111T will work great. You could also use the burner from an Optimus Nova or an MSR XGK/XGK II. I'm not sure the XGK-EX could be used. I'm sure there are other burners that could be used.

Anyway, all that to say, there are ways to piece together the parts depending on what you have on hand/what is available to you that won't break the bank. The end result? Perhaps the ultimate cold weather/extreme conditions stove. For someone who does snowmobiling, back country skiing, winter mountaineering, is on rural roads in a cold climate, etc, it might be a really nice stove to have.

HJ

#235844 - 11/18/11 06:54 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Putting omnifuel inside is an interesting thought. Wasn't there an legless version made for putting inside trangia, or did I confuse some other stove with it?

#235846 - 11/18/11 07:21 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Putting omnifuel inside is an interesting thought. Wasn't there an legless version made for putting inside trangia, or did I confuse some other stove with it?
I'm not 100% sure about this, but from the photos I've seen, the multifuel burner now sold for the Trangia is (basically) an Omnifuel without the legs. There's a sort of "adapter" to hold it in place in the Trangia, but I think you could rig something up. Omnifuel + Trangia = NICE. smile

HJ

#235847 - 11/18/11 08:15 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I looked at some photos on the net. The current multifuel Trangia burner is clearly a derivative of the Omnifuel. It has a cup shaped adapter to hold the burner in the proper place. I notice however that the valve adjuster at the burner has been removed. Not sure why that would be. Perhaps it didn't fit well inside the lower windscreen?

If you look at this Flickr photo stream, I think you'll see what I mean: Photos of a Trangia Multifuel Burner.

HJ

#235860 - 11/18/11 11:52 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

That's definitely an omnifuel burner. So one can just buy that instead of the gas burner and have a windproof omnifuel.

#235861 - 11/19/11 12:22 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

That's definitely an omnifuel burner. So one can just buy that instead of the gas burner and have a windproof omnifuel.
Yes, I believe so. The one question I have is why they took the control off of the Omnifuel. That's not making sense to me although it may just be that the valve doesn't align with the stock openings in the lower windscreen. Otherwise, why on earth would you "cripple" a beautiful Omnifuel? It's one of the finest stoves in existence. Why diminish its capabilities?

I haven't tried this, but clearly that's a modified Omnifuel burner, and I've read of people making homemade adapters to use their Omnifuel in a Trangia, so I'm confident that it can be done. There might be a couple of hurdles, but I'm confident it can be done.

HJ

#236074 - 11/21/11 10:05 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I saw this post on another forum: Modifying a Trangia for use with an Omnifuel. The individual made it work, but it took more doing than I would have expected. I've seen other posts elsewhere that made it sound easier, but the above post was detailed and had photos.

He did not need to remove the valve-at-the-burner control, but he did have to widen the opening in the lower windscreen. Widening the holes in the lower windscreen doesn't sound too bad. The part where he lowered the burner sounded more difficult.

I'm periodically researching this as I have time, hence the occasional odd post (such as this one). I'll post updates as I find out more.

HJ

#236238 - 11/24/11 06:32 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

OK, so I've looked into this a little more.

Apparently the X2 Trangia multifuel burner is a combination of the Primus Omnifuel and the Primus Multfuel EX. The performance has been backed off a bit in an effort to preclude the melting of the windscreens. I've read that the larger Trangia 25 will be a little more resistant to melting than the more compact Trangia 27. Seems even weirder that if there's a potential windscreen melting problem that they'd remove the fine tuning valve at the burner, the very valve that could be used to moderate the flame and prevent potential melting.

That being said, I've seen several posts on the net where people adapted a stock Primus Omnifuel for use in a Trangia set up, so it's clearly possible, but isn't completely straight forward. The adapter and the windscreen will both need some modifications.

Sounds to me that if you have an older Optimus Nova (before Katadyn bought out Optimus and messed things up), that might be a better option for use with a Trangia set up. Trangia had used the Nova burner for a number of years. When Optimus was bought out, moved production to China, and started having serious quality control issues, Trangia switched over to the X2 burner from Primus. I can't say for sure that the switch was due to the quality control issues, but the timing sure makes it looks as though that were the reason.

HJ

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.