The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#236160 - 11/22/11 11:56 PM Re: Tips for camping in the rain? [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Canoedogs, do you still have the pattern for that baker tent? It would be a great project for our Scout group A couple of years ago we made our own collapsable picnic tables and homemade tents (or one big one) would be a really cool addition!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#236161 - 11/23/11 01:15 AM Re: Tips for camping in the rain? [Re: bacpacjac]
LED Offline
Veteran

Yes, the plans for your shelter would be great Canoedogs. Very inspiring project. Matter of fact, I was looking around for bulk Silnylon last night.

#236167 - 11/23/11 01:47 AM Re: Tips for camping in the rain? [Re: LED]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: LED
So canoes are the RV's of camping, eh?

That is what I love about canoeing, the ability to carry a lot of gear that would be almost impossible otherwise if one was just on foot. Even a 12' single person canoe can easily be outfitted with extra gear and food that makes wilderness camping and exploring a lot more comfortable and of a longer duration without being too concerned about the weight.

John Lubbock

#236168 - 11/23/11 02:08 AM Re: Tips for camping in the rain? [Re: Teslinhiker]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

That is what I love about canoeing, the ability to carry a lot a gear that would be almost impossible otherwise if one was just on foot. Even a 12' single person canoe can easily be outfitted with extra gear and food that makes wilderness camping and exploring a lot more comfortable and of a longer duration without being too concerned about the weight.

Not concern only if you don't have to portage. Then the multiple trips probably make the extra gear less attractive. Just sayin'..

#236171 - 11/23/11 02:25 AM Re: Tips for camping in the rain? [Re: unimogbert]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

That is what I love about canoeing, the ability to carry a lot a gear that would be almost impossible otherwise if one was just on foot. Even a 12' single person canoe can easily be outfitted with extra gear and food that makes wilderness camping and exploring a lot more comfortable and of a longer duration without being too concerned about the weight.

Not concern only if you don't have to portage. Then the multiple trips probably make the extra gear less attractive. Just sayin'..

Haven't had to portage in some years now (but point taken though). The lakes around here are in mostly mountainous regions where portaging is not required.

John Lubbock

#236173 - 11/23/11 02:38 AM Re: Tips for camping in the rain? [Re: Virginia_Mark]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Run2The9
Tip #1. Check the weather before you go camping... wink

Will have to be some advances in that science for your tip to be helpful to me. I have to schedule my vacations six months in advance.

#236175 - 11/23/11 05:41 AM Re: Tips for camping in the rain? [Re: dweste]
duckear Offline
Addict

My REI Half Dome can be set up with just the fly, poles, and the footprint.

So, in the rain, I set up the footprint and fly, then pitch the tent under the protection of the fly.

Looking back, pretty obvious, but I never did it that way the first few times I pitched in the rain.

#236187 - 11/23/11 05:19 PM Re: Tips for camping in the rain? [Re: KenK]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: KenK
The closest commercially available counterpart - that I know of - is Cooke Custom Sewing's Lean tents - which is pretty much a Baker tent with almost no lifted tail end - if you know what I mean.

http://www.shop.cookecustomsewing.com/product.sc?productId=194

A local company makes a version of the Baker tent out of either cotton or nylon in various sizes. Neither is cheap but this design is extremely versatile. For group camping they might be the bomb, I don't know I haven't tried them. The company who makes them specializes in canoe guiding. You can configure the vestibule in multiple ways depending on the direction of the wind and rain. They have floors and mosquito netting as well. They could be reasonably be copied by a DIY maker with access to tent material, a sewing machine, velcro, no-see-um mesh and make your own poles.
http://www.canoemapscanada.com/index.php...8&Itemid=57

I simply use an 8x10 silnylon tarp to create a covered space away from the tent. That was as much money as I want to spend.

#236188 - 11/23/11 05:29 PM Re: Tips for camping in the rain? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: Susan

Has anyone ever worn a souwester hat? I've seen them in photos for years, but have never seen one up close or tried them on.

I have. Short story: They work, and are very comfortable for their intended use: Working outside in rain and wind.

For hiking I'd say you're better off with a Goretex anorak with a good hood. When you're hiking you need better circulation than the sou'wester hat can provide.

Use your rain jacket with hood AND with a wide brim hat underneath (I use a Tilley). The brim keeps the hood from clinging to your head, promoting ventilation and extends the protection in front of your face. It provides secondary moisture protection and the hood can be tossed back after the heavier rain stop. Cinch the hood tighter if you have to walk around in gusty winds.

Better than using a baseball cap with your hood because of the additional side ventilation and less feeling of claustrophobia with the hood.

#236208 - 11/24/11 02:23 AM Re: Tips for camping in the rain? [Re: dweste]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
The most innovative solution I've seen to camping in the rain is to setup a 12x12 Coleman screen house and then setup a tent inside the screen house. The guy doing this had a 6x9 tent that fit inside nicely with enough room leftover to setup his kitchen table and two folding chairs under the protection of the screen house. Kept him dry, comfortable and bug-free at camp. I dubbed it the "Tent-Tent."

I have no concerns about my tent leaking. The fly goes down to within 4" of the ground on all sides, seams are well sealed, two decent-sized vestibules and great ventilation. Setup in the pouring rain is a challenge, so I setup my 12x12 tarp first, then setup my tent under shelter of the tarp before moving the tent to its final location and staking it down.

Sea-to-Summit dry bags are not very expensive. I have a half dozen in various sizes. Down sleeping bag always goes in one. Underwear, socks, extra base layer and pillow case in another. Sweater, micro-fleece hoodie and sweat pants, spare hat and gloves in a third. Extra shirt and pants goes in a fourth. They're different sizes and colors and are labeled for easy identification. Makes it handy if you have to go wading through a water obstacle and need to change quickly into dry, warm clothes.

I don't generally spend much time actually out in the rain. My camping trips these days are usually Jeep-oriented, so I'm either at camp or inside a vehicle for the duration. I use nylon rain pants and jacket, with a wool sweater underneath if needed, a Tilley T3 hat, and high-top Gortex/Leather waterproof military boots. I'm looking for a good set of waterproof, insulated work gloves that provide some dexterity. Looks like the Youngstown Winter Performance Glove is worth a try.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.