Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#236034 - 11/21/11 01:24 PM Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have found that it is more a matter of ease and speed to cut the belt rather than try to reach in and unbuckle the belt. In pulling casualties out of vehicle hit by roadside IEDs, it was always quicker and easier to cut and pull them out. There were always straps and equipment hanging up on something when you are trying to pull them out, and if you are under fire at the time, or the vehicle is burning, climbing in is not a good idea. I almost always used a pair of EMT shears for the job. They are safe and quick. Not your typical automobile crash, and anecdotal.

I keep two pairs of EMT shears in my vehicle, one on each side of the front. This way either person can reach them and we can reach into the back seat. Not expecting any roadside bombs here, but some habits I have not been able to break yet. I have used them often though; mostly for opening things and simple cutting jobs. I just prefer shears to a knife in an enclosed space.

#236038 - 11/21/11 02:39 PM Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? [Re: hikermor]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
To the best of my recollection, twice in 20+ years, both time with shears. In most trauma situations, I almost always cut clothing off, so shears are a must and they work well with seat belts and webbing as well.

Pete

#236057 - 11/21/11 05:38 PM Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? [Re: hikermor]
WB2QGZ Offline

Loc: FN30gq Long Island, NY
11 Years in Fire/EMS, I can only recall 2. One t-bone and one head on, considerable damage to vehicles, access to latch limited and seatbelt snared on various deformed debris. Both times cut lap and shoulder clear with shears. As I responded to a lot of minor MVAs, I guess it would be fair to say around 10 major wrecks a year requiring more than a door pop, so just at or less than 2% of the time for me.

Cut plenty of seatbelts in training, I was involved in my departments hydraulic rescue tool training and we'd end up cutting up 4 wrecks from the salvage yard every week in the summer. I found a lot of the hook bladed cutters would bind up on a slightly loose belt (even sharp ones) and need 2 hands to operate. A rounded tip serrated Spyderco rescue blade or shears allowed me to cut the belts quickly and safely with one hand.

#236072 - 11/21/11 09:28 PM Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? [Re: WB2QGZ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: WB2QGZ
I found a lot of the hook bladed cutters would bind up on a slightly loose belt (even sharp ones) and need 2 hands to operate. A rounded tip serrated Spyderco rescue blade or shears allowed me to cut the belts quickly and safely with one hand.
Good information. Thanks.

HJ

#236086 - 11/22/11 12:29 AM Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? [Re: hikermor]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I think this question was focused on aircraft. If I'm correct, does anyone have data for aircraft belts and latches specifically? On commercial aircraft I believe it is typically an Amsafe buckle. More here: http://www.amsafe.com/products-services/...ight-seatbelt/.

They're rated to 3000 lbs. Whether or not they jam at 3,000 lbs, I have no idea.

#236091 - 11/22/11 02:24 AM Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? [Re: roberttheiii]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
I think this question was focused on aircraft. If I'm correct, does anyone have data for aircraft belts and latches specifically?

As a matter of fact, it wasn't. But it is a good question...

#236133 - 11/22/11 05:44 PM Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Emergency cutting of seat belts seems to fall under ' interesting but not factual'
At least for civilians.

#236385 - 11/28/11 12:49 PM Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? [Re: roberttheiii]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
I think this question was focused on aircraft. If I'm correct, does anyone have data for aircraft belts and latches specifically?
No data, but I am aware of this: aircraft buckles are different to car buckles. On the face of it, that seems crazy to me. The aircraft ones open by being pulled or lifted, where car buckles need to be pushed. People have died in 'plane crashes because in a crisis they reverted to the car system they were familiar with, and it doesn't work on 'planes. The aeroplane safety lecture explains how to unfasten their belts in an attempt to over-come that.

So, given the apparent life-saving advantages of changing aeroplane buckles to work the same as car buckles, I assume there is some major overriding benefit to keeping them as they are. I'd guess they were more reliable and less likely to jam.

(PS I too thought the original post's mention of air travel meant this was more about aeroplanes than cars.)

#236386 - 11/28/11 02:13 PM Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? [Re: hikermor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I'm just speculating, but maybe the car type buckle can't survive the higher g forces in an accident. Aircraft buckles are designed to keep you in your seat to a fairly high crash (g) force. Also aircraft latch type buckles seem simpler mechanically than car button type buckles - less expensive. And less likely to jam, sure - can you imagine the dilemmas on board if passengers couldn't get their button tyhpe buckles to unlatch and disembark?

#236388 - 11/28/11 03:36 PM Re: Cutting seat belts-How often? [Re: hikermor]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I worked a lot of MVAs in EMS. We never needed to cut a seatbelt because the buckle was stuck. We had to cut them because the buckle was hard to reach or because the belt was snarled in debris.

+1 to the comment about hooked cutters, if there's any slack in the material they will usually hang up. Happened to me with the Benchmade Rescue Hook.

The fix for this problem is so low cost, low hassle, and effective that I would keep an appropriate tool on hand.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.