Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#235595 - 11/13/11 12:16 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bws48]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: bws48
How about 1 or more days worth of prescription medications that you can't or shouldn't miss for a day or two?

Great thinking, bws. I don't need any right now but DS does and I've got a couple of days worth in other packs, and a week;s worth in in the family BOBs. Thankfully, his is not a life or death perscription.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235602 - 11/13/11 09:12 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: MartinFocazio]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

OK not bad, but your office should have a large FAK for all of the staff. This is kind of an FAK/Personal Hygiene kit.

Not really sure what this does for you in an office. Does it rain in your office? Are you planning to walk out?

I can't think of an office that does not have cups and mugs, most offices have tea and coffee already.

Well, most of this stuff is EDC, but some of it is just basic office gear. If your office does not have radio/batteries/flashlights on hand at all times, that's just sad.

Too Rely on what others have Or what Work environment should have is basically not at all being a prepared person. Things not getting refilled, batteries dying, Things being miss placed, People breaking items that never get replaced, Busted flashlights with blown bulbs, list goes on. Not to mention If you do have to leave the office or such you are still prepared and not leaving items behind. Plus knowing your gear and having high quality gear compared to what an office may contain may be the key in the end.

#235605 - 11/13/11 01:56 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Frisket

Too Rely on what others have Or what Work environment should have is basically not at all being a prepared person. Things not getting refilled, batteries dying, Things being miss placed, People breaking items that never get replaced, Busted flashlights with blown bulbs, list goes on. Not to mention If you do have to leave the office or such you are still prepared and not leaving items behind. Plus knowing your gear and having high quality gear compared to what an office may contain may be the key in the end.

Thank you Frisket. I've been struggling to find the words to express those sentiments.

Martin, the team at this office is not at all preparedness minded. I'm slowly making inroads in prepping the office, but it's slow and completely on me to take the intiative and make the expense.

#235616 - 11/14/11 07:11 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
To sleep comfortably isn't really all that complicated, no matter if it gets cold inside. One el-cheapo but beefy sleeping bag, something that works as a sleeping pad and something that substitutes as a pillow. The last two can usually be improvised.

Instead of a sleeping bag you can of course improvise with blankets, but it is more hassle to make them work.

Forget about sleeping in bivy's inside. They're clammy beyond belief. And the next day will be miserable because you'll spend it in your office in clammy and moist clothes...

Bivy's have their place when you're sleeping OUTSIDE exposed to wind, rain, sleet and snow. Then you're all of a sudden much more motivated to tolerate a bit of dampness.

#235618 - 11/14/11 07:59 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: MartinFocazio]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

I'm trying to think of an office scenario where you'd need a roll of quarters.

Vending machines. Most offices usually have at least one snack and drink machine somewhere on the premises. I've seen the kind of abuse vending machines can take, without money there's very little chance of being able to get anything out of them. I keep a lot of spare change at my desk because sometimes a snack or caffeine can be a lifesaver on a normal day.

#235620 - 11/14/11 09:38 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: ducktapeguy]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Off the top of my head, some things I've got:

-Cell phone charger
-Umbrella
-Spare set of clothes (socks/underwear/shirt/pants)
-Toiletry bag (razor/toothbrush/toothpaste/floss/hair brush/deodorant/q-tips/tweezers/spare pair glasses)
-roll of toilet paper
-Snack food (Lately, I like Quaker 'Oatmeal to Go' bars....I find them to be filling.)
-water bottle
-pocket AM/FM radio with ear-buds and spare battery(s)
-Multitool
-Bic lighter
-A good bright flashlight with spare batteries (I like Surefire's G2 LED)
-An N95 dust mask, work gloves, and safety glasses (my glasses are already safety glasses)
-A little roll duct tape
-Spare cash/change (Nothing crazy, just a few 1's, 5's, and quarters for tip's, vending machine's, making change, ect)
-A little pry bar (I like the Stanley Wonder Bar II)
-plastic silverwear
-Purell/hand sanitizer
-small writing pad/pens/sharpies
-some basic first-aid stuff (regular band-aids, larger sterile pads, advil, pepto-bismol, ect)

All that stuff fits into a regular day bag. The one thing I wish I could carry around, but don't because of bulk, is a nice fleece blanket. If I was in the same place all day, I would probably just keep one at my desk.

On a side note, depending on one's office atmosphere, it can be tough to wear sensible sturdy shoes. However, I really feel this is something everyone should make an effort to do. I don't like any footwear that makes it difficult to run.

#235622 - 11/14/11 10:39 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Paul 810 has the correct re shoes - I keep a pair of boots in the car (which is parked outside the office!) If I have to bug out, there will be some walking - hopefully not all 45miles home, but definitely some

#235623 - 11/14/11 12:23 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

ABSOLUTELY Paul and Big Red. Good shoes are EDC for me. Thankfully our office is small and information so I can get away with wearing my hiking shoes.

#235625 - 11/14/11 01:08 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I would add a geiger counter.
This might be OTT for most bug in kits, but as the O/P states that a nuclear plant is nearby, it might be a wise addition.

For sleeping, I would favour a wool blanket, perhaps 2 for cold, dry, indoor conditions.

#235628 - 11/14/11 06:54 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Paul810:

Good point on a cell phone charger. It's easy to get into the routine of "oh, I'll just charge it overnight when I get home." What if you don't get home? I speak from experience here. A cell phone charge as an EDC (briefcase or backpack, not on person) or at least office bug in kit is an excellent idea.

HJ

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.