Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#235542 - 11/11/11 08:22 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
What is this...."Pay Phone" you speak of?

What I want to know is, where the heck is Clark Kent supposed to change into his Superman outfit these days? smile

Regarding office Bug-in/Bug-out kits, I work for a large international oil co. We have a closet on each floor (sealed with a zip tie) that allegedly has emergency supplies inside. In my case, however, I only live about 3 miles (5 km) from work. If Wurst came to sausage I could hike home, no problem. I do make it a point to always wear season appropriate shoes and coat to work, even if I'm not planning on going out of the office that day.

#235543 - 11/11/11 08:25 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
When I think of an Office Bug-in Kit I gotta ask, "Why?". Here, I'd be bugging in because a major earthquake just shutdown SOCAL; the power is off and probably water too. In Canada I'm thinking major winter snowstorm and an office can get cold enough to require camping gear inside. That said, good kit.

You may want to keep some of this in your car so it's always nearby. If whatever hits while at work the car kit supplements your office kit. OTOH, it's also with you on the road. Add more food and a camp stove.

Thanks Russ. A winter snow storm is probably the most likely scenario, followed closely by a chemical spill nearby. This office in winter will be cold. I'm thinking that planning to camp out in here is a good plan. It's mostly likely that I'd be by myself, or possibly with one, maybe two coworkers. It's a small staff but a big space. There are 4 offices with doors so I'd likely set up in one that's in the middle of the building, away the front windows/door and the wharehouse out back.

I do have a GHB in the car but in the off chance that it's a situation where going outside is a risk (i.e. nuclear accident at the plant next door) I'd like to have what I need inside.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235544 - 11/11/11 08:27 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
do you have a reclining chair or couch to sleep on?... if not, a closed cell foam sleeping pad will make the cold hard floor a little more comfortable

There's nothing soft in here Les. There's a big boardroom style table in the wharehouse that would get me off the ground but I'm thinking a thermarest is a good idea.

#235550 - 11/11/11 09:20 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Most office overnights are really boring:
food ( coffee) toothbrush, fresh socks, a soft place to sleep, earplugs, food,
non-internet dependent radio or news source and food.

#235551 - 11/11/11 09:46 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Warehouse -- storage space should not be an issue.

A nice thick camping pad is a good start. Is your sleeping bag liner cotton, fleece or something else. Fleece bag liners are very comfy when it's cold. Since you're inside and rain is not an issue, goose down is in play; why use an AMK bivy inside? For that matter, a fleece bag liner and wool blankets (mentioned earlier in this thread) would be great -- pillow too.

BTW, a camp stove is a great way to boil water for tea when the power is out. Tea, coffee, soup -- all super easy to make with a camp stove that can only boil water -- simmering is not required. Get a stove and a good supply of stuff that mixes well with hot water. $.02

#235552 - 11/11/11 09:52 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
From a space consideration, would a 10.00 air mattress from Walmart be a better choice? Not as warm, but easy to pack, cheap, not much space....

If could be filled from same pump you would use for a car time.....

#235557 - 11/11/11 10:12 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Most office overnights are really boring:
food ( coffee) toothbrush, fresh socks, a soft place to sleep, earplugs, food, non-internet dependent radio or news source and food.

Great summary Teacher, thanks.

#235558 - 11/11/11 10:15 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Warehouse -- storage space should not be an issue.

A nice thick camping pad is a good start. Is your sleeping bag liner cotton, fleece or something else. Fleece bag liners are very comfy when it's cold. Since you're inside and rain is not an issue, goose down is in play; why use an AMK bivy inside? For that matter, a fleece bag liner and wool blankets (mentioned earlier in this thread) would be great -- pillow too.

BTW, a camp stove is a great way to boil water for tea when the power is out. Tea, coffee, soup -- all super easy to make with a camp stove that can only boil water -- simmering is not required. Get a stove and a good supply of stuff that mixes well with hot water. $.02

Thanks Russ. Great point on the space issue. I should be able to carve out a corner in the warehouse. A more robust mattress and pillow are great ideas. I've got an esbit stove but may switch over the a sterno. There may be more heat value there?

The sleeping back liner is fleece and my thinking re: the bivy was that it's easy to to stay warm inside it rather than just in one of the offices.

#235559 - 11/11/11 10:17 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: LCranston]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LCranston
From a space consideration, would a 10.00 air mattress from Walmart be a better choice? Not as warm, but easy to pack, cheap, not much space....

If could be filled from same pump you would use for a car time.....

Great idea Cranston. Thanks!

#235560 - 11/11/11 10:42 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay -- I view the bivy as something of a last resort extreme situation shelter. Inside an office space (away from the direct weather) with room to store other shelter options, I'd try to find something more comfortable.

The OR Alpine bivy I have in the truck is fairly nice for a bivy, but even that can be claustrophobic.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.