Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#235749 - 11/17/11 04:22 AM Re: 9V Flashlights [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Does any know how much power the alarm going off drains? A few kitchen issues, humidity from the shower, grumpy toaster..... How long is the battery life if the unit is doing more than just waiting?

There's no way to know for your specific smoke detector.

Every six months, I break out the pulse-load battery tester (the one I like is http://www.batteryjunction.com/zts-mbt.html, no affiliation) and test the Energizer Lithium AAAs in my smoke detectors. If they don't all test at the same level, I replace them. If they test out at less than 60%, I replace them. Given that a smoke detector is good for ten years max, I end up replacing the batteries approximately twice before replacing the smoke detectors.

With alkalines my advice is to replace them every six months without bothering to test.

Most battery testers are just voltmeters, and don't test the batteries under load. In other words, most battery testers are next to useless.

If you have any doubt, replace the batteries.

#235752 - 11/17/11 04:33 AM Re: 9V Flashlights [Re: Craig_Thompson]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Chaos!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235755 - 11/17/11 06:40 AM Re: 9V Flashlights [Re: chaosmagnet]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
This is Not a recommendation for anyone,& I advise against it!I have been out in the boonies more or less in the past,& Just didn't have my Multimeter handy(shucks! I alway's carry my multimeter on dayhikes/expeditions)I needed to check the load of a 9v battery,hello mr. tongue,whoa! spit a few times,Habanero pepper = Full Load,tested another,spit some more,Jalapeno pepper = 1/2 load,tested yet another,no spit required,Bell pepper = dead battery wink whistle

#235756 - 11/17/11 06:41 AM Re: 9V Flashlights [Re: Richlacal]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
The crazy thing about your reply Rich is that I understood it. lol

HJ

#235759 - 11/17/11 10:35 AM Re: 9V Flashlights [Re: Arney]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: Denis
As a side note, some manufacturers are now selling 10 year smoke detector models with lithium batteries installed; they say the life of the unit is the life of the battery so you just replace the whole unit at the end of 10 years.

Sorry to continue this tangent, but that's an important point--smoke detectors lose sensitivity for a number reasons over time, so most should be replaced at the 10 year mark (at least the ionization type). However, how many of us reading this post have smoke detectors that are more than 10 years old? Quite a few, I'm sure.

I just checked--I do have two units that are way past their prime. Something to remedy this holiday season, especially before any Christmas tree goes up.

I've read that smoke detectors should also be vacuumed to remove dust that can reduce sensitivity, but that's something I've never done.

Very good point, however, if you cook like I do your smoke detector gets tested regularly. At least the one closest to the kitchen..............

#235798 - 11/18/11 01:07 AM Re: 9V Flashlights [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
Thanks for all the input. I decided to give these a try: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-x-9-Volt-...#ht_3341wt_1342

To start off, I just want simple lights. Don't need waterproof. (Next round I might).

These have a low and high switch. They are a lot less expensive than the others so if the quality is good, they will do the intended job. I will give you a report when I get them.

I now am intrigued with the higher end ones, the encased waterproof ones. (It just never ends does it?!)

Craig T.

#235835 - 11/18/11 03:36 PM Re: 9V Flashlights [Re: Craig_Thompson]
ajax Offline

Those look like the same sold by DealExtreme.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/9v-battery-...on-1-6f22-52813

Price is comparable, if not a little better.

#235838 - 11/18/11 05:44 PM Re: 9V Flashlights [Re: Craig_Thompson]
I_Can_See Offline
Stranger

Loc: Kentucky
I joined this forum just to answer your question. I just happened to be looking at those flashlights the other day and then saw your post. So here you go.
http://www.survival-warehouse.com/lighting/9v_lights.htm

#235842 - 11/18/11 06:45 PM Re: 9V Flashlights [Re: I_Can_See]
ajax Offline

Originally Posted By: I_Can_See
I joined this forum just to answer your question. I just happened to be looking at those flashlights the other day and then saw your post. So here you go.
http://www.survival-warehouse.com/lighting/9v_lights.htm

Your username is humorous considering the Pak-Lites were referenced in the OPs first post.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.