Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#235739 - 11/17/11 01:38 AM Not used it in a year?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
What are you hanging onto that you have not used in a year?

If you do not use something for a period of one or two years, should you recycle or donate it?

Expired stuff? Durable goods just not needed? Consumables in your kits? Stuff you intended to learn how to use but did not? Extra stuff that seemed like it might come in handy but hasn't yet?

What is your take on reviewing all your surival stuff and refreshing the contents of your various kits?

#235740 - 11/17/11 01:53 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: dweste]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
There is a fine line between useful stuff you need and useful stuff you want.

Example - My ax. I think in a survival situation I would "need" one. Didn't use it this year, but had the tornados in April been 5-7 miles south, I would have needed it. Along with my bow saw, which went unused.

Nor have I used my lantern, my stove, and some other stuff in my readiness tote. But there is not way I am tossing the stuff either.

Fact is, I am getting to the point where my readiness stuff is not used everyday. I've got everyday tools (mainly power) to use for standard repairs. It's the hand tools that are used for power out emergencies, and they stay.

Refresh the food and water. Sure thing. Toss out tools - nope. Fact is, considering adding some.

#235743 - 11/17/11 02:29 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: JBMat]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
In my garage I've got a Cummins 200 that hasn't been used since 1969, a Lincoln Continental Mark IV that hasn't been driven since 1989, and a roll of 1" steel cable that dates back to the last time we owned a cable run excavator...say early 60's?

IMO, nothing wrong with hanging onto old stuff, if you have the room to do it and can keep it organized. I've had stuff come in handy that hadn't been used for at least 10 years prior (like a 3" water pump during hurricane Floyd).

The exception to that, for me, is perishable items. I don't typically hang on to expired food, medicine, chemicals, ect. Sure, it might be good for a while after the expiration date, but I'd rather just replace it with fresh stuff.

#235747 - 11/17/11 03:08 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: JBMat]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: JBMat
There is a fine line between useful stuff you need and useful stuff you want.

I agree. Food yes. Clothes that we've outgrown? Yes. Expired meds? Yes. Most everything stays in the inventory, although might get rotated out of a kit and back into back-up status.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235750 - 11/17/11 04:26 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: dweste]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I rotate perishable foods and replace perishable first aid supplies regularly. I can't imagine throwing out a good tool, even if I don't use it often.

Old clothes get donated -- closet space is at a premium in my old house. I sold my bike after I was sure my new bike would work out.

My biggest storage problem is books. I have well over a thousand and it's hard for me to get rid of them.

#235753 - 11/17/11 05:36 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hey D,Are you still living Portside?I can see why you are asking about excess accumulations,I say have a dockside rummage sale,use the proceeds to refresh! wink

#235758 - 11/17/11 07:19 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Seriously thinking of abandoning sailboat life for a small apartment with upgraded indoor plumbing, kitchen, and storage space. Spoiled by more than a year of house-sitting, I guess!

Still keeping possessions limited, both of necessity and preference. Going through a round of business and personal record shredding plus Goodwill donations of things that have not proved supportive of the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed.

Edited by dweste (11/17/11 07:24 AM)

#235760 - 11/17/11 10:47 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: dweste]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Fire extinguishers, smoke detectors ... etc.

I don't think I am throwing any though

One problem of accumulating stuff and making "kits" of different sizes is that sometime I FORGET that I have this or that. Sometimes I bought something and discovered I already had two ro three !! Sometimes I was lucky, just thinking of buying something when I found it in a drawer !!

Worst part is when you do need soemthing and you have already forgotten you have it , and you improvise or whatever .. and later you find out you do indeed have it.

I seem like a certified geezer, don't I ?? LOL

#235761 - 11/17/11 10:56 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: Chisel]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Fire extinguishers, smoke detectors ... etc.

I don't think I am throwing any though

One problem of accumulating stuff and making "kits" of different sizes is that sometime I FORGET that I have this or that. Sometimes I bought something and discovered I already had two ro three !! Sometimes I was lucky, just thinking of buying something when I found it in a drawer !!

Worst part is when you do need soemthing and you have already forgotten you have it , and you improvise or whatever .. and later you find out you do indeed have it.

I seem like a certified geezer, don't I ?? LOL

I have the same problem, and another:

Sometimes I know I have something, but I can't remember which bag, tote, pack, trunk, vehicle, shelf, drawer, room, I put it in.

#235775 - 11/17/11 06:42 PM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: dweste]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Don't get me started!!!!

every Winter i tell myself i'm going to wade into that clutter
and sort and put labels on the bags and box's!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.