Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#235716 - 11/16/11 05:27 PM Generator Maintenance
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Over the last few months in Connecticut on separate occasions we had two significant power outages. During the first my mother's house was without power for a week. She's always had a generator available and she has a transfer switch setup which switches between a generator and street power.

During the second episode my future in-laws lost power for a week. They bought their house in the mid 90s and it just so happened to have a propane powered generator outback under the deck and the associated transfer switch. As I understand it they spent a fair bit of money getting that generator running more then a decade ago, used it a few times, couldn't believe the amount fuel it used and let it fall into disrepair again.

After being without power for a week they want to buy a new generator. First I'll try and get that old one going but I expect it to be fairly hopeless.

Anticipating their purchase I drafted up what I think is a reasonable maintenance schedule generally speaking. I'm not an expert, this manual comes with not warranty or guarantee, anyone utilizing it should first figure out if what I say is safe and reasonable. I am not responsible for your actions!

Disclaimer out of the way, here is my first draft: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16TvRDQHp1wd50aTMoT2D9fm7Zp3aZaLWd0R2hKr_mlE/edit

#235720 - 11/16/11 06:01 PM Re: Generator Maintenance [Re: roberttheiii]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My generator's manual prescribes that you run it every 14 days under load, or that you go through the long-term storage procedure (running the fuel line and carb dry, changing the oil, squirting some oil into the cylinder and cranking it a couple of times without fuel to spread the oil).

#235722 - 11/16/11 06:48 PM Re: Generator Maintenance [Re: roberttheiii]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
If they let the old generator fall apart, what's to keep the new one alive? (or is that question one that's not allowed to be asked of them?)

You might be able to get the old one going easier than you might think. Propane probably doesn't turn to varnish like gasoline. You may still have rusty cylinders to deal with though.... good luck.

#235733 - 11/16/11 09:47 PM Re: Generator Maintenance [Re: roberttheiii]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

My hope is that they had no plan to take care of the old one and that with a plan this one will last.

I am banking on the fact that it is propane, but I am also not a master mechanic by any means. I figure if it turns over and I get spark there is hope.

Finally, long term storage procedures are tempting but I fear that they won't do it and if they do they will forget how it works and not maintain the battery.

#235736 - 11/16/11 11:41 PM Re: Generator Maintenance [Re: roberttheiii]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
My hope is that they had no plan to take care of the old one and that with a plan this one will last.

I am banking on the fact that it is propane, but I am also not a master mechanic by any means. I figure if it turns over and I get spark there is hope.

Finally, long term storage procedures are tempting but I fear that they won't do it and if they do they will forget how it works and not maintain the battery.

People, in general, don't seem to change their habits on things like maintenance. My dad and I have been working on cars and trading car stories for about 35 years now. We've observed this. Good luck.

The good deal about propane is that long periods of inactivity are only problems with keeping batteries charged and preventing internal rust. The fuel won't cause carb issues which is the majority of problems from not doing proper layup on things like lawnmowers and motorcycles which are stored seasonally. Gasoline gens have not only the battery and rust issues but also the gummy fuel problem.

I think the propane generator will come back and it'll be a better rig for your folks than a gasoline one. Good luck.

#235737 - 11/17/11 12:02 AM Re: Generator Maintenance [Re: roberttheiii]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

I hope you're right about the propane generator coming back! If you are then I think I'll still put them on a similar schedule of running it occasionally, changing the oil annually, and practicing for a power outage. Overall though, it'd be a much less expensive solution.

I agree regarding habits, but my hope (and I now it may just be a hope) is that they were not fully informed in their prior attempts.

I'm going to PM you re unimogs if that's alright.

R

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.