Over the years I've narrowed the tools I want on any multitool down to these:

Pliers
Wire cutters
Scissors
Saw
Knife
Can opener
Screw drivers

Any MT that lacks any of those isn't something I consider for general purpose use. Anything beyond that list that is gravy or dead weight, depending on point of view.

The saw servers two purposes: One, the LM saws(and SAK saws) are good for odd finicky jobs in weird angles and tight corners, as well as backup tools for small jobs when you can't be bothered to fetch real tools.

Secondly, a saw is extremely helpful for wood processing in a wilderness survival scenario. To me, that function is very important.

The pliers, wire cutters and scissors are used A LOT. So are the screw drivers.

The knife isn't used a lot, which means it stays sharp. A decent (and sharp!) backup knife is important, at least to me.

Can opener makes life easy wherever there's canned food.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (11/15/11 07:15 PM)

#235668 - 11/15/11 08:26 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: MostlyHarmless]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Pliers
Wire cutters
Scissors
Saw
Knife
Can opener
Screw drivers

Good list.

A bottle opener is darn handy; the LM multis I have all have combined bottle/can openers.

I've used the file enough in the field to come to really appreciate having one; I won't consider a multitool "serious" for my purposes unless it comes with a file. I've used an awl enough to like having one of those around as well.

#235672 - 11/15/11 08:50 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

A bottle opener is darn handy; the LM multis I have all have combined bottle/can openers.

Ah, that is a little pet trick of mine: I open bottles with (almost) ANYTHING at hand: PET bottles, knives (the spine, not the edge), snuff boxes (delicate, but can be done with JUST the right technique), lighters (OK, but wear out quickly), fire extinguishers and the unopened multitool itself.

For me it is far quicker to open the bottle with the closed multitool than to flip out the bottle opener.

This little trick isn't difficult: Your left hand firmly closed around the bottle neck creates a pivot point and the whatever-that-has-a-hard-enough-edge object held in your right hand act as a lever (wikipedia). But it takes a bit of practice to get the feel of it, and apply the force in just the right direction.

The trick is also dependent on the glas quality of your local brewerey. Glas bottles of poor quality may chip or break easily if the cork is flipped off by unorthodox application of force. Where I live we use bottles that are required to be washed and refilled maybe 20 times before being remelted. Those bottles are pretty robust.

I've used the file enough in the field to come to really appreciate having one; I won't consider a multitool "serious" for my purposes unless it comes with a file. I've used an awl enough to like having one of those around as well.

A file is pretty darn hard to substitute, so if you need one you really want one. But after 15 years or so of MT use I haven't used the file. Ever. No matter how hard I try to justify it being there "just in case" I can't come up with a sound reason for being on my "required" list. Your mileage obviously differ.

I haven't used the awl either (or perhaps I have, once or twice, or my friend did - can't remember right now). But if I need an awl I think I usually will be able to do without or improvise.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (11/15/11 09:04 PM)

#235676 - 11/15/11 10:10 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
.... I do consider a lighter tool (I also have a Kick) if I am hiking and overall weight becomes more significant.....
This may be shocking to some, but the truth is, I rarely if ever carry a multitool when day hiking. When back packing I might carry one, depending on the trip and what other gear I have along, and how far back in the boonies I'm going. On the other hand, when sea-kayaking I always carry small but fairly complete repair kit, which includes a leatherman and a very small crescent wrench.

When deciding whether or not to carry tools, my approach is to look at what stuff I have, and try to imagine what tools I might need to keep that stuff functioning. It also depends on how remote I'm going, and how critical it might be to do field repairs. If I'm dayhiking, I usually don't have much gear with screws, bolts, or whatever, so why carry a screwdriver and pliers? I can manage most forseable jobs with a pocket knife. If backpacking, I might conceivably need to fix a stove or metal tent pole or something, so I might carry a leatherman. On the other hand, my sea kayak has some bolts etc on the rudder assembly, and I also have stoves, tents, etc, so a few tools might be necessary to effect a repair. Carrying a bit more weight is not such a big issue on my kayak. And I sometimes kayak places where it could be crucial to be able to do field repairs.

That's just my approach. I've been knocking around in the mountains and on the water for my whole life and it has worked for me so far (and I'm now past the Big Six Oh shocked ). Others may have different approaches, and that's cool. Whatever works for you! smile

#235677 - 11/15/11 10:55 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of the things that immediately attracted me to my first Leatherman was the pliers. I had been carrying a separate pair of pliers on many of my trips, and especially SAR callouts, specifically to open jammed locking carabiners, so the first L-tool was a giant step forward,slimming down my minimalist tool kit.

Your approach is disgustingly rational.:) I find that these days, more often than not, I am riding my touring bike. Around bikes, having a good multitool is very handy. Deep in the woods, there is less need. One tiny exception-pliers are great for pulling cactus spines.

#235679 - 11/15/11 11:05 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
One tiny exception-pliers are great for pulling cactus spines.

I've pulled out more splinters with Leatherman pliers than with tweezers.

#235689 - 11/16/11 02:20 AM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
One tiny exception-pliers are great for pulling cactus spines.

I've pulled out more splinters with Leatherman pliers than with tweezers.

Not too many cactus spines in Alaska where I hike! smile (Except on those infrequent occasions when I get an opportunity to travel to the SW USA.) The tweazers in my FAK usually handle slivers pretty good. But whatever works for you...works for you. smile

Edited by AKSAR (11/16/11 02:22 AM)
Edit Reason: clarify wording

#235706 - 11/16/11 06:16 AM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: AKSAR]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I find the Skeletool to be the perfect combination of tools for me, everything I want and nothing I don't. But I find I'm less and less likely to bring it into the woods with me. For that I am now likely to turn to my SAK to go with my fixed blade.

I do figure there is the possibility of needing the pliers for gear repair, so I added a tiny no-name multitool to my altoids repair kit.

#235728 - 11/16/11 08:49 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Over the years I've narrowed the tools I want on any multitool down to these:

Pliers
Wire cutters
Scissors
Saw
Knife
Can opener
Screw drivers

My requirements are similiar.

For urban EDC in decending order of importance
*Scissors
*PE blade
*2-3 sizes of flat screw drivers
*Phillips screw driver
*Awl or other pokey tool
*Can/bottle opener

For a bug out bag tool(s)
*PE blade
*Scissors
*Can/bottle opener
*2-3 sizes of flat screw drivers
*Corkscrew
*Saw blade
*Serrated blade
*Phillips screw driver
*Awl or other pokey tool
*Pliers
*Wire cutters capable of handling 9 gauge steel(chain link fence)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#235765 - 11/17/11 01:35 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: Frisket]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
The leatherman wave weighs one ounce more then the two new tools being discussed, and has all the tools anyone has mentioned, except an awl. For weight and tool selection the wave still rules.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.