Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#235599 - 11/13/11 06:52 AM Two new leatherman Multitools
Frisket Offline
Addict

Apparently they have been out for 3 or more months but this the first time I seen them.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Wingman

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Sidekick

I purchased the wingman from Home Depot for 24$ my only complaint is the combo edge (now the only one I own and prolly will ever own. besides this its a great little knife with a interesting package opener that works with just abit more elbow grease then expected tho it is safer then flailing a knife threw a package.

#235601 - 11/13/11 07:49 AM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: Frisket]
LED Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the heads up Frisket. The Wingman is just what I was looking for. And the right price too!

#235603 - 11/13/11 09:42 AM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: Frisket]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Does the knife blade on the wingman lock?

EDIT: just looked again at the website, "All Locking Outside Blades". That should teach me not read through things first.

Edited by Cauldronborn2 (11/13/11 09:51 AM)

#235604 - 11/13/11 01:49 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: Frisket]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I bought a Sidekick. It feels solid and well-made, with good ergonomics for the pliers in particular. The knife blade was way too stiff to open one-handed, but I lubed it and backed out the pivot screw a hair and now it's just right.

The leather pouch it comes with sucks. Other than that it's perfect for an entry-level mid-size multi that won't break the bank for a gift or for bringing it where it might get lost or damaged.

No affiliation other than owning too many.

#235610 - 11/14/11 02:22 AM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys. I'm looking for a decent entry level multi-tool for my nephew and these may fit the bill. I've got a Gerber spring-action one but wouldn't gift one because the spring action is just too clunky. I love my Kick and my Fuse and was thinking about one of those.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235611 - 11/14/11 02:27 AM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm in agreement with Izzy. The Fuse is my go-to multi-tool now. Simple, not every tool but the tools in it are the ones you use. Excellent entry level MT.

#235642 - 11/15/11 02:49 AM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: Russ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Just received the Wingman. Basic but very nice. Only time will tell, but it seems capable of doing almost everything my Charge TTi can do. (the Wingman scissors are much better IMO) I paid $24 at Amazon.

#235657 - 11/15/11 04:38 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: LED]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I find that most of the tools on multitools don't get used that much. If I have a serious job to do, then I go to my tool box and get a real tool. The main advantage of multitools, IMO, is to be able to do a few simple tasks with what is on my belt. I use the pliers the most, followed by the screw drivers. I rarely use the knife blade, because I always have a better knife in my pocket.

I'm a keep it simple kind of guy. And as I get older, I find I like to keep things lighter weight. Since I rarely use most of the saws, files, scissors, etc on the more elaborate tools, those features are just excess weight to me. Therefore, the multi tool I keep handy, and use occaisionaly, is a simple one. I like the plain old basic Leatherman Kick.

Your mileage may differ. smile

#235660 - 11/15/11 04:48 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I basically agree with your points. A multitool is for occasional use. When you really have an extensive job, you need to get real tools. Over the years, my multititool, usually a Wave, has saved me a lot of time and effort, and averted at least one potentially disastrous situation (clearing entangled rope from a fouled prop on a dinghy that was drifting into rocks). I don't mind the weight of a Wave in normal everyday use. I do consider a lighter tool (I also have a Kick) if I am hiking and overall weight becomes more significant. The pliers are the most useful tool on the multitool. I switched to Leatherman tools in 1985 when I saw my first PST, giving up the SAK that I had been carrying before then.

#235662 - 11/15/11 05:48 PM Re: Two new leatherman Multitools [Re: hikermor]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I am a bit of a multitool fanatic, of Leatherman tools in particular. I picked up a Wingman a few weeks back, and have since bought five more (as gifts). It is indeed an entry-level tool aimed at those folks who would normally pick up a cheap knock-off multi because they don't want to spend $50 or more on a high-end genuine article.

The difference is that the Wingman is USA-made (for those to whom that matters) and the usual 25-year Leatherman warranty applies. It (arguably) has all the tools of the Kick and Fuse plus some others that they don't, and comes in at a lower price (unless you find one of the older tools on sale). The fit and finish is not as polished as on their more expensive models, but the tool still feels very solid.

Leatherman is also driven to innovate; they sat on their laurels with their early models long enough that Gerber, SOG, and a few others were able to elbow into the market and they're trying to keep the upper hand. Competing in the lower-end tool market means they're not only getting a piece of that pie but making a good impression for the buyer that chooses to upgrade in a few years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.