Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#235425 - 11/10/11 05:39 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
So a coin cell will last as long as a single AAA light? That's counter intuitive

I haven't tested it out myself, but both are advertised to run about 12 hours.

The E01 is brighter and uses up more power than a Photon, so that's one reason.

A common alkaline AAA is bigger than a coin cell, but lithium batteries have a higher energy density than alkaline batteries and coin cells are usually lithium batteries. In addition, two stacked coin cells also results in a higher voltage than 1xAAA (6V vs 1.5V nominal), so less current is sucked from the coin cells to generate the same power at a lower voltage.

#235426 - 11/10/11 05:51 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Is there any Fenix single AAA with a clip, or is there a compatible clip available? I know the 4Sevens Preon has a clip.

I think all small flashlights should have a clip option, even though that increases the price by a dollar or whatever.

#235427 - 11/10/11 09:58 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Arney]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
So a coin cell will last as long as a single AAA light? That's counter intuitive

I haven't tested it out myself, but both are advertised to run about 12 hours.

The E01 is brighter and uses up more power than a Photon, so that's one reason.

A good, but dim coin cell should be able to last for a looooong time.

The E01 will run for about 11 hours with approximately the same output (10'ish lumens) but it will give out a dim and slowly diminishing light (a.k.a. "moonlight mode") for another 10 hours. Which is a great feature when you want lights for emergerncy use.

#235428 - 11/10/11 11:13 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I formerly carried a photon on my keyring, but some years ago I switched to a AAA light; I have found the latter to be far more useful. For one thing, a twisty AAA is far less likely to be accidentally turned on, compared to a photon. I equip the AAA with a lithium battery, thus having a bright stable light for the duration of the battery. A backup battery is always in my EDC. One battery typically lasts about a year in typical service. I have carried both the Peak Matterhorn and, currently, a Fenix LD01 - I prefer the variable light levels of the Fenix.

#235433 - 11/10/11 01:07 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I love my photon IIs. I've wear one around my neck and have one on my keychain. Never had a problem with them turning on my accident (Fauxtons maybe, but never the real thing.)

I've had the one around my nack since I joined ETS, and changed the battery once. In some ways I think I like them better than regular handhelds because it fits nicely between my teeth giving me a handsfree option.

Edited by bacpacjac (11/11/11 12:06 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235437 - 11/10/11 03:35 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Is there any Fenix single AAA with a clip, or is there a compatible clip available? I know the 4Sevens Preon has a clip.

You used to be able to buy a pocket clip for the EO1 and later the LD01 that would fit other models, but it looks like all of them have been discontinued.

#235454 - 11/10/11 07:14 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: ireckon]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'm stumped. Assuming everything else is roughly equal, why is a twist preferable over a button?

I have both. I prefer a button, but maybe there's something I don't know.

I've had button-types turn on in my pocket without me knowing.
-Blast

Thats pretty much my thoughts, the key chain attachment points on the flashlights I've seen/tried to date seem be able to jam the button down.

#235582 - 11/12/11 02:41 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: wileycoyote]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
chaosmagnet: i look forward to hearing your comments too. just because i like 'em and they fit my needs doesn't mean they're right for everyone. hope you'll post your thoughts here after you've had a chance to try them. (ps - it shouldn't be long either, because seller ships via Priority so i had them two days later)

Here are my first impressions on the ThruNite Ti:

Shipping was very quick. The lights were well-packed and arrived in good order. I would definitely buy again from Illumination Supply (note: I was given no consideration for my review, and I have no affiliation with Illumination Supply or ThruNite other than as a customer).

The flashlight came with a manual, two spare o-rings, and a sturdy-looking split ring, perhaps slightly larger than I would have expected for a keychain light.

The flashlight itself has a very high build quality. Anodization is impeccable, and the lettering (including serial number) is razor-sharp. A special note on the knurling, which is generous and well-cut. ThruNite seems to have found the perfect way to cut knurling such as to make the light easy to grip without being rough on your fingers or catching on things in your pocket.

It's easy to operate one-handed. While I haven't had it very long and I don't know how it will stand up to keychain carry, the first impression is that ThruNite paid very close attention to details and quality control.

There is no pocket clip and the light will roll off a table easily. The keyring attachment is sturdy without being bulky, and a flat machined on the end allows the light to tail-stand.

The UI is simple: Twist on for firefly (ultra-low) mode, and twist on tighter for high. It's easy to accidentally skip firefly mode, which if you're working in the dark can lead to ruined night vision before you back off and find the sweet-spot. My rough measurement is that there are about three millimeters worth of firefly mode. Give this light to a non-flashaholic and they're almost sure to think it's a single-mode light.

The mode spacing is less than ideal. Firefly mode is useful only in total darkness and very low-light conditions, where high is good and bright for a 1xAAA flashlight. A low mode in between firefly and high would be really good to have, although that might be tough to do without significant additional expense.

Beam quality is excellent, with a tight hotspot and good spill. No artifacts seen. Tint is a bit green.

Compared to a Fenix E01, it's much brighter on high and runs much longer on low, with a better beam quality and much better tint. The E01's single mode is much more useful (to me, at least) in moderately low-light conditions.

Compared to a 4Sevens Preon ReVO, the ReVO's low mode is more useful and the high mode is noticably higher. The ReVO is thinner and has a better tint too. But the ReVO is almost three times more expensive and discontinued to boot.

Compared to a Titanium Innovations Illuminati, the Illuminati has a useful pocket clip, better tint, better mode spacing and the best beam I've ever seen in a 1xAAA flashlight. But it's nearly as expensive as the ReVO and harder to operate one-handed.

The best comparison is to your particular flashlight needs. If you need a single AAA keyring flashlight with a very low low and an excellent high, the ThruNite Ti can't be beat anywhere near it's price range. I like it a lot.

#235586 - 11/12/11 04:54 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: chaosmagnet]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
bravo! great review. and i agreed with everything you've said.

thnx for taking the time to share chaosmagnet.

after that informative review, i had to include an image i took show the ThruNite's size:

ThruNite Ti, Microstream, E01, iTP, Arc, Mako, Tiny 2

#235587 - 11/12/11 05:08 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: chaosmagnet]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Thanks for that review, chaosmagnet.

Sounds like a quality product. Just an unusual niche that it fills with those power level choices.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.