The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#235630 - 11/14/11 07:13 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A 12 volt cigarette lighter type cell phone charger can top off a cell-phone as long as the car is nearby. In this case it's 50 ft from bacpacjac's office desk.

#235632 - 11/14/11 09:14 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I carry a usb cable for my phone anda 120v and 12v usb adapter so I can charge from the wall, a car or a computer.

#235634 - 11/14/11 09:45 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Agreed about the cel phone charger. Oddly, I have a few different ones in the car but I don't have a cel phone. Working on that one this month!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235635 - 11/14/11 10:35 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
These Energi-to-go chargers are now well out of production but there are still a lot floating around. They've served me well.

Amazon link to illustrate the product. I got 4 of them from woot for $4 a piece.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Energi-Instant-Phone-Charger/dp/B000JD09P4

#235637 - 11/14/11 11:01 PM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Agreed about the cel phone charger. Oddly, I have a few different ones in the car but I don't have a cel phone. Working on that one this month!
lol

HJ

#235639 - 11/15/11 12:02 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: MarkO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MarkO
These Energi-to-go chargers are now well out of production but there are still a lot floating around. They've served me well.

I carry a rechargeable LiPo battery for this purpose, the version I have is this one: http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp2000/. It's served me very well.

#235643 - 11/15/11 03:04 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
lol

HJ

Prepped to charge someone else's phone - how's that for being over-prepared? What have you people done to me? LOL!

(Actually, other than hubby's phone, I've used them to charge co-workers' cell phones when our office phone lines went down.)

#235644 - 11/15/11 03:09 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I support the idea of having your own stuff in addition to what office should provide. I hate to depend on office tools which always seems to wander around and not come back without a fight with this or that careless guy

Talking about tool, I would suggest you keep a few basic tools because you never know what kind of improviozation you may need in a survival situation.

Even if you have a multitool, I make sure I have another stand alone pair of pliers. You may need them both to twist / straten a paper clip or whatever. A slip joint pair of pliers is a very useful tool. A multitool typically has a long nose pliers.

#235646 - 11/15/11 03:35 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great suggestion, Chisel. Thanks! Pliers, hammer, screw drivers, crowbar... and the like? Already have a saw, which I think I'll leave in. It light and you never know when we might need to cut up a palett to reinforce a door or window. (i.e. explosion in our industrial area.)

#235648 - 11/15/11 04:52 AM Re: Office Bug-in Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Great suggestion, Chisel. Thanks! Pliers, hammer, screw drivers, crowbar... and the like? Already have a saw, which I think I'll leave in. It light and you never know when we might need to cut up a palett to reinforce a door or window. (i.e. explosion in our industrial area.)

Aside from using tools to fix or reinforce your shelter, you might need them to escape your shelter. A lesson learned from 9/11 is that exits can be blocked by fire and debris, requiring rescuers to force/cut their way through locked doors and walls to get to survivors.

Perhaps not a problem for you, but I work in a high-rise, so water is a concern. I keep a 2.5 gallon container of water in the bottom drawer of my lateral file. I'm thinking of adding a second.

Also, consider your co-workers when stocking-up. A sad reality is that most won't have any supplies or gear. I have a couple of Costco-size boxes of granola bars and a box of Clif bars in addition to my personal supply of food so I can share without impacting my own needs. Ditto for cheap flashlights (a recent addition due to another thread here).

In addition to flashlights I have a dozen 12-hour chem sticks so I can provide a little general lighting in places like dark hallways and bathrooms without wasting batteries on flashlights.

The comment about rain gear should be reconsidered. If the building's sprinkler system is activated it will rain inside. Also, if there are any hazardous materials in the air, a rain poncho can help provide protection. A rain poncho can also be used as a wind breaker if the building structure is compromised.

As for cell-phone chargers, I have several cheap, 2xAA emergency charger with a USB port. Using lithium AA batteries, it will completely charge my iPhone 4 in about 4 hours. I keep an Otterbox full of lithium AA, AAA and CR123A batteries to power all my emergency electronics for the duration.

You would be surprised how few businesses have battery-powered radios. I keep a solar/crank radio with AM/FM/WB plus an LED flashlight in my kit.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.