Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#229340 - 08/06/11 06:47 PM Movie Talk
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I should have started the earlier thread with a general title like this.

My thoughts are shattered among many movies, so here goes.

1 - Look at the small girl in the (Waterworld) movie.
Now, look at the (feral boy) in the Mad Max2 ( Road Warrior ) movie. Do you notice something ????

I don't know if it is only me but if they werent of different genders (and age), I would have thought they were the same person.

2- I wish ...

Survival movies fall in many categories. Many of which are war movies ..etc. I like some of them a bit but will prefer more of McGyverish type movies where people pull themselves out of the rubble ( or wreck) and use their HEADS to survive instead of brute force and massive dose of luck.

I have seen both Flight ofd the Phoenix movies, and really really wish to see LAND-based, and OCEAN-based movies in the same line. Like a group in a yakht crash on deserted island, and use bits and pieces from the yakht, in addition to whatever they find, to make another MULTI-powered boat ( like engine and sails), and squeeze the last drop of ingeniouity to barely make it back to land.

No zombies for me
I prefer a McGyver, but a bit more realistic McGyver

#229341 - 08/06/11 07:03 PM Re: Movie Talk [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chisel
I should have started the earlier thread with a general title like this.

My thoughts are shattered among many movies, so here goes.

1 - Look at the small girl in the (Waterworld) movie.
Now, look at the (feral boy) in the Mad Max2 ( Road Warrior ) movie. Do you notice something ????

I don't know if it is only me but if they werent of different genders (and age), I would have thought they were the same person.

2- I wish ...

Survival movies fall in many categories. Many of which are war movies ..etc. I like some of them a bit but will prefer more of McGyverish type movies where people pull themselves out of the rubble ( or wreck) and use their HEADS to survive instead of brute force and massive dose of luck.

The survival role play "After Chaos" was inspired by the movies you mentioned.

Jeanette Isabelle

#229389 - 08/07/11 07:44 PM Re: Movie Talk [Re: Chisel]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Off the top of my head you could list Vertical Limit, Speed, Iron Man, Italian Job, Alaska, First Blood, The Edge, even Animal House...my head explodes in movie titles. I'd include any episode of the A-Team.

I get what you're saying, though and I agree. I like movies that spend time on the nuance, celebrating the thought process, crafting and celebration of making something from nothing but with what you have ready in your hands to beat the bad guy.

To open this a bit to reality tv, that might be the one area where there is a celebration of being a McGuyver. From building an elaborate wedding cake to creating fire or finding water in an adverse climate, its all there in better contrast to movies, because here we truly see people with the expertise to think outside the box rather than just using it as a mechanism to provide plot points.

(I can not believe I am comparing the realism of reality tv to a completely fabricated fake tv personality).

For example, there was an episode of a reality show called, Man, Woman, Wild. In the epi, Mykel Hawkes with Ruth gets dehydrated and suffering badly. He makes a fire by bow drill or friction technique (can't recall) and while we it only taking a few moments of screen time, he is discussing the technique, walking us through the process and admits its taken him 90 minutes to get it started.

To me that was huge compliment to the Preparedness community compared to Bear, Les, et al that even when they obviously have trouble with a fire it is rarely if ever mentioned the time or effort to complete it unless there is drama like a cut or accident or something.

Sorry if I rambled and hijacked.

#229419 - 08/08/11 11:09 AM Re: Movie Talk [Re: Chisel]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Chisel

2- I wish ... Like a group in a yakht crash on deserted island, and use bits and pieces from the yakht, in addition to whatever they find, to make another MULTI-powered boat ( like engine and sails), and squeeze the last drop of ingeniouity to barely make it back to land.

I still say Maryanne was the best looking one.............

Attachments
ma.jpg

#235608 - 11/14/11 01:38 AM Re: Movie Talk [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

Just saw the movie "The Road", while it is grim, I like the lack of crazy scenes of destruction, they never really say what happened, but things are changed forever, people are moving, dying, surviving. It is VERY VERY matter of fact in what it would be like to try to survive a life/ planet altering event (at least as I see one scenario, as they are obviously limitless), there is cannibalism, killing, hunting of weaker people, etc.... Certainnly gets you thinking.

Just thought others might gain perspective by watching it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

Ironwood

Edited by Ironwood (11/14/11 01:40 AM)

#235609 - 11/14/11 02:18 AM Re: Movie Talk [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I posted these in another, especially for Izzy, and for the unitiated, of course. The movies don''t fit the criteria but 2 of my favorite movie "survivalists" are Burt from Tremors and Marvin from Red.

Burt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOELVyd3Esw

Marvin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-JBl9TKqw

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235624 - 11/14/11 12:44 PM Re: Movie Talk [Re: comms]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.

For example, there was an episode of a reality show called, Man, Woman, Wild. In the epi, Mykel Hawkes with Ruth gets dehydrated and suffering badly. He makes a fire by bow drill or friction technique (can't recall) and while we it only taking a few moments of screen time, he is discussing the technique, walking us through the process and admits its taken him 90 minutes to get it started.

To me that was huge compliment to the Preparedness community compared to Bear, Les, et al that even when they obviously have trouble with a fire it is rarely if ever mentioned the time or effort to complete it unless there is drama like a cut or accident or something.

Sorry if I rambled and hijacked. [/quote]

Should we rename this the "we HATE Bear forum"?
Bear, at least, has the brains to pack along a ferro rod, water bottle and something to boil water in.

Frankly, the only good think that I can see coming out of Man, Woman, Wild is the rather small possibility that people suddenly wake up to just how stupid it is to not carry a lighter, matches etc.

Seeing someone like Mykel not carrying something like a DOAN frankly disgusted me.

#235626 - 11/14/11 03:09 PM Re: Movie Talk [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We probably should not rename ETS, but perhaps we could establish a sub-forum. I volunteer to be the moderator. Bear comes in for a lot of well deserved criticism because he sets such a dreadful example-performing appallingly stupid stunts that will get imitators killed. There is a total disconnect between good practice and what is depicted on most of these shows.

From what little I have seen, one of the objectives seems to be to display all the exotic and wierd ways there are to start a fire. After all, that is much more dramatic that simply saying -"Be sure you have three different means of ignition and some tinder."

#235629 - 11/14/11 07:09 PM Re: Movie Talk [Re: hikermor]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
We probably should not rename ETS, but perhaps we could establish a sub-forum. I volunteer to be the moderator. Bear comes in for a lot of well deserved criticism because he sets such a dreadful example-performing appallingly stupid stunts that will get imitators killed. There is a total disconnect between good practice and what is depicted on most of these shows.

From what little I have seen, one of the objectives seems to be to display all the exotic and wierd ways there are to start a fire. After all, that is much more dramatic that simply saying -"Be sure you have three different means of ignition and some tinder."

Which is fair comment as far as it goes. However it has to be noted that to date, so far as I am aware, no-one has died from imitating Bear. Also fair warning is given at the begining of the program. And I for one have no issues with some idiot getting Darwined.
Now if I was to pick out some one to take serious issue with, it would be a certain gentleman who wanders off alone into the Wild Blue Yonder with one match, a SAK and 70kg of camera gear.

#235633 - 11/14/11 09:43 PM Re: Movie Talk [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There were a couple of fatalities at Zion National Park about a year ago that are uncomfortably close. The two had assembled a makeshift raft and were attempting to pilot it down a stream in the park which was running at flood stage. They died. Their only equipment was allegedly a video camera. They were planning to submit their video to some some sort of contest conducted by BG.

I just think it is inexcusable to portray really stupid stunts on commercial TV simply for the sake of ratings. I have spent enough time talking to audiences and trying to get across the basics to be annoyed.

On second thought, I probably shouldn't be a moderator. I would not be moderate enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 73 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.