The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#235107 - 11/04/11 07:07 PM New keychain flash light recommendations needed
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Hi guys

My current keychain flash light, a streamlight key mate has just stopped working and I'm in the market for a new one.

I've taken a look around and the fenix E01 would seem to be what I'm looking for but I thought I would ask the brain trust here first before buying just in case I missed a good alternative.

I also looked at the the Countycomm maratac AAA light but as I live in the UK shipping would be an issue, I've kept an eye on ebay but no luck so far.

I'm pretty open to ideas thought I would like it to:

1) Run on AA or AAA batterys

2) Have a twisty on/off switch, NOT clicky

3) Runtime over lumens, this flash light would be used mainly to look under desks, behind cuboards ect, so 10 or so lumens would be plenty of light for my needs

4) Less functions the beter, on and off is all I realy want.

5) Cost, I would guess I'm looking in the $20 - $30 range top end, though I would be prepared to pay more for a good quality light.

Many thanks in advance for your time and I hope that this thread will generate some good responses & information other people can make use of themselves.

#235108 - 11/04/11 07:11 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The Fexis EO1 would be an excellent choice. Another option, also fairly cheap, would be the Gerber Ultimate Infinity. It takes a AA battery and puts out a fairly low powered beam, may be 30 lumens (I am not positive), so it has a really long runtime, especially with lithium batteries. I have several versions and I have been quite satisfied with them all.

#235112 - 11/04/11 07:32 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
The NiteCore T0 AAA fits your requirements nicely.

The Nitecore EZ AA is also a fine flashlight but a bit above your price range (maybe $50). It's a twisty two-stage (6 and 160 lumens). Crank up the lumens for brief periods to do things, like search under your desk for that dropped pen, but you still have super long runtime at the 6 lumen setting plus the higher capacity of the AA battery over a AAA one.

I recommended it just the other day, so I'll just say that the E05 is also a very useful light that I now EDC. Just in my own experience, an E01's output is often not quite enough and I wish I had more light, such as when you need to look for something. That's where the higher output of the E05 makes it more useful to me than my prior EDC, the E01. Of course, it loses in the runtime department to the E01.

Edited by Arney (11/04/11 08:36 PM)

#235113 - 11/04/11 07:35 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Go with the Fenix E01.

#235119 - 11/04/11 08:51 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA

#235129 - 11/05/11 12:51 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
the EO1 has a good reputation. As does the Maratac AAA, or alternately, there's a similar model by the same manufacturer. (forget the name, go to Candlepowerforums and look around) problem w/ the Maratac is the keychain attachment is junk, and looks like it'll fail in about 30 seconds.

#235130 - 11/05/11 01:07 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
LED Offline
Veteran

The ITP A3 EOS is very popular with people over on CPF. Very similar to the Maratac.

I don't really care for a 3 mode keychain light so I use a Fenix E05. Its okay, runtime is a little short though.

#235131 - 11/05/11 02:27 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
DR-designed eGear Pico. 10 lumens, 15 hours, single-mode, tiny, twisty, it has everything you ask for except expense: available for $10 locally. I have several attached to all different kinds of gear as a failsafe light source.

My favorite is still the Maratac AAA from Countycomm. I use a fishing swivel to work-around the funky keyring attachment clip, no problems or wear in over 2 years. The ITP A3 EOS Upgrade is the same light with a better keyring attachment, though you can't tail-stand the ITP.

#235132 - 11/05/11 02:44 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I'd say any 1xAAA light that is a clone of the no-longer-made Arc-AAA. The Fenix E01 is one such clone, and a nice light for a cheap price. Many Arc-AAA's tended to develop flicker over time (and not just from dirty contact surfaces). I don't know how the E01 lasts over time. I used a Gerber Tempo 1xAAA on my keychain for quite a while (because I got it on sale for $5). It does not feel like it has the build quality of one of the Arc clones, but the Gerber has never failed and never flickered. A solid performer despite its thinner metal feel.

I see someone else mentioned the Gerber Infinity. I have an Infinity Ultra from back when CMG made them, before Geber bought them out and changed the light somewhat. That's a fantastic low-output long-lasting light that has never failed. But a 1xAA light is too big for a keychain light IMHO. You really need 1xAAA. I don't like the watch battery type keychain lights either. The batteries are too expensive and don't last all that long.

I no longer carry a keychain light. I carry a 4Sevens Quark 1xAA with a 14500 rechargeable lithium ion battery in its small pouch on my belt. Much more versatile (and much more expensive!) than a Fenix E01 if you're willing to give up keychain carry and go for belt carry instead.

For your stated needs, I vote for the Fenix E01.

#235137 - 11/05/11 07:17 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: haertig]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for all the replies so far guys, now to throw the cat among the pigeons.

I had a look around on the net and it seems that Peter Gransee the founder and designer of the Arc lights set up another company in 2004 making the same lights, the website they have up seems to show that they are still in business.

I know this should probably be taken with a pinch of salt but it might be worth taking a closer look.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.