Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#235467 - 11/10/11 11:45 PM Re: What's with all the Zombie stuff? [Re: clearwater]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Zombies rock. I've seen "bleed when hit Zombie targets" at a gun show and laffed for a bit.

What other life form (or non-life form to be correct) can you universally hate/shoot/decapitate/burn/drown/etc all in the name of saving humanity? Yeah yeah, some say it is only a "code" for hating (insert whoever here). Those people need lives.

Personally, I think most zombie movies are funnier than all heck. There was one with a Michael Jackson look-a-like doing the moon dance as it was electrocuted... no funnier zombie satire was ever made (not the movie with Ving Rhaynes either, altho that too had a dead MJ in it also).

Lighten up, it's an advertising trick.

#235469 - 11/10/11 11:49 PM Re: What's with all the Zombie stuff? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Firearms are serious business and shouldn't be treated as a toy or a joke.

Well said.

#235475 - 11/11/11 12:56 AM Re: What's with all the Zombie stuff? [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I must admit that I am surprised and dissappointed to see such holier-than-thou comments coming from people here.

Of course firearms are serious business. So is driving a car. Having children. Using a lawn mower. To call humorous advertising, whether it works on you or not, "irresponsible", "making light of the seriousness...", and calling for some people to not be allowed to own firearms because you don't like their choice of weapons or because they use the word "zombie" in humor, well, I just don't know how to respond to that kind of thinking (or lack thereof). I hope you take yourselves seriously. I certainly cannot. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill...

#235477 - 11/11/11 01:21 AM Re: What's with all the Zombie stuff? [Re: clearwater]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm on the fence about the firearms marketing but think the use of Zombie prep by FEMA to get people thinking about preparedness is a great idea. If it gets people thinking it's a good thing. If it gets them acting it's a great thing.

Yup, firearms are serious business, and I rather see other forms of preparedness take priority, but I don't think these firearms are PSAs, are they? Marketing is a creative business afterall.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235478 - 11/11/11 01:24 AM Re: What's with all the Zombie stuff? [Re: haertig]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
For what it's worth, Zombie Squad collectively wasn't too impressed by this gimmick either. There are a lot of serious shooters over there, and the consensus was that this was just a shiny wrapper for mediocre product. At least there is a warning on the box that it's not a toy. laugh

#235482 - 11/11/11 03:00 AM Re: What's with all the Zombie stuff? [Re: JBMat]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JBMat
What other life form (or non-life form to be correct) can you universally hate/shoot/decapitate/burn/drown/etc all in the name of saving humanity?

You obviously haven't seen Shaun of the Dead! I'd recommend that you drop everything and go rent the DVD.

Spoiler alert. At the end of the movie, they (normal) humans discover that they could put zombies to work at supermarkets and other megastores where employees are basically turned into mindless machines doing repetitive tasks anyway. So you can't universally hate zombies.

I'm unimpressed with the zombie ammo ad from Hornady. Any expert can tell you that it's the placement, not the caliber or even the variety of weapon, that matters. You have to destroy what remains of the brain. The zombie virus takes over the central nervous system and lets the rest of the body rot in the mean time. Its goal is to spread to another human being. Will Smith made a vaccine for us. That seems like the real solution.

DB

#235490 - 11/11/11 05:44 AM Re: What's with all the Zombie stuff? [Re: clearwater]
DanC Offline
Stranger

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: JBMat
What other life form (or non-life form to be correct) can you universally hate/shoot/decapitate/burn/drown/etc all in the name of saving humanity?

REMOVED
(dang it, that was my out-loud voice, gotta go take my medicine)
;~)
Come on guys have a little fun...

Edited by chaosmagnet (11/11/11 02:42 PM)
Edit Reason: humor beneath ETS standards

#235494 - 11/11/11 02:19 PM Re: What's with all the Zombie stuff? [Re: clearwater]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Google "Zombie" and "metaphor."

Never a fan of the zombie entertainment genre, when I first noticed zombiedom creeping, so to speak, into preparedness discussions, I thought it denigrated a serious subject. But now I can see how referring to zombies in preparedness is a way for some people to deflect with humor any notion that they are one of the paranoid survivalist types.

So if zombie-speak is what it takes for some people to discuss being prepared for natural or unnatural disasters, fine. If it draws consumers to product advertising, fine and dandy.

The federal Centers for Disease Controls and Prevention determined that zombie-speak was useful for disseminating its messages of preparedness.

Something sweet to help the medicine go down.

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/bl...l-be-ready.html

"A zombie is a stand-in for anything we fear: pandemic, racism, societal change, depersonalization of humanity, pervasive threat and how this threat affects people. It's the core of drama and a never-ending blank canvas."

1950s sci-fi films have long been seen as reflective of that era's anxieties over nuclear proliferation and c o m m u n i s m. 1951's "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is among my favorites. Perhaps that classic should be re-made a third time -- with EMP as the dramatic catalyst.

http://www.filmsite.org/50sintro5.html

Science fiction films, horror films, and fantasy films (flavored with Cold War paranoia) flourished and dominated the box-office hits of the early to mid-50s (sometimes called the "Monster Movie" decade), when aliens were equated with C o m m u n i s t fears (due to the McCarthy Era's Soviet witch hunt).

#235495 - 11/11/11 02:41 PM Re: What's with all the Zombie stuff? [Re: clearwater]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I would prefer to not have to lock this thread. Let's work on being a bit more polite when we disagree.

chaosmagnet

#235497 - 11/11/11 03:24 PM Re: What's with all the Zombie stuff? [Re: haertig]
Diosces Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: haertig
I must admit that I am surprised and dissappointed to see such holier-than-thou comments coming from people here.

Of course firearms are serious business. So is driving a car. Having children. Using a lawn mower. To call humorous advertising, whether it works on you or not, "irresponsible", "making light of the seriousness...", and calling for some people to not be allowed to own firearms because you don't like their choice of weapons or because they use the word "zombie" in humor, well, I just don't know how to respond to that kind of thinking (or lack thereof). I hope you take yourselves seriously. I certainly cannot. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill...

Well said......

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.