Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#235139 - 11/05/11 12:58 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn2
I had a look around on the net and it seems that Peter Gransee the founder and designer of the Arc lights set up another company in 2004 making the same lights, the website they have up seems to show that they are still in business.

i purchased my arc aaa in '05 or '06. it's always in my pocket. use it daily. all i've had to do is change the battery. i saw a series of photos showing a car running over one once - takes a lickin' and keeps on shinin'. sold me.

Edited by bsmith (11/05/11 01:00 PM)

#235140 - 11/05/11 03:16 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: bsmith]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
just checking the time stamp.

#235142 - 11/05/11 03:57 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've carried an Arc AAA light in a pocket with gobs of keys every day for many many years. It looks as good today as it did when I bought it - AMAZING. The only extra protection it has is I bought one of those plastic caps that go over the end of tubing and had to sand it down a bit to fit snugly over the LED end of the Arc. It stays on with no problem and removes any potential of LED damage.

Another light that I think is amazing, but consider it a tad too thick for pocket carry, is a Fenix single CR123A light - I don't think they make this specific model anymore. My wife carries one on her barn keychain, which has been tossed about in a pretty abusive way for years, and its still going amazingly strong - though it is pretty scratched up.

BTW, Arc's web site is http://www.arcflashlight.com

#235144 - 11/05/11 04:09 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I'll throw in another vote for the Fenix E01.

I like that its AAA so spares are common and usually on-hand (for my lights, I run all AAAs too). Its also pretty bullet proof and has lasted for over 2 years on my keyring so far.

For wilderness use, I've started moving it from my keyring to a neck lanyard and it works well in that capacity too.

#235145 - 11/05/11 04:13 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I have carried a PeakLED Matterhorn around for several years now. It has been dropped in water, run through the washer (and dryer), dropped, stepped on etc. so it is a tough little light. The Matterhorn uses a single AAA battery and I have the 3 LED which is a bit brighter than the single LED version. Overall very similar to the original Arc, though I think Peak gives you some LED options (color etc.).

- Eric

#235175 - 11/06/11 09:55 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Eric]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX

(my photo)

the new runtime king for 1xAAA is the ThruNite Ti.

it just kicked the 82-hr-runtime Revo out of first place, because the ThruNite Ti has been tested at 125 hours on low (and it also does 60 lumens with a simple twist).

low beam is just enough for roaming around a very dark house, use on a moonless wilderness night, caving or during black-outs.

i bought two at $16 each and couldn't be happier.

HERE is a review i did on it over at CPF.

having owned hundreds and hundreds of 1xAAA 'lights, ranging from $1 to $250 (including a dozen of the above mentioned Fenix E01 and a few dozen Arc AAA), i'd call this new one a best-buy. while the E01 is still a great standard of comparison and is rated for 11 hours runtime (and can do much more), the beam tint is just plain awful (purple-green). and the quality of the current run of Arcs isn't what the old ones were.

seller seems like a good one too: Illumination Supply's sale page for the ThruNite Ti

and new models with different levels, and in different body colors, will be coming out shortly.

===

ThruNite Ti light are designed for Key chain application. It is the first AAA light with super-low Firefly mode (0.04lumens)

Features:
• Uses Cree XP-E R4 LED with a lifespan of 50000 hours
• Uses one 0.9-1.5V AAA (Ni-MH, Alkaline) battery
• 7.2cm (Length) x 1.4cm (Diameter)
• 20-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• OP reflector
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Reliable twist switch. Tighten for super-low Firefly mode (0.04 lumens), tighten further for max Output (60 lumens)

===

Cauldronborn2: that said, the super low level might be too-low for you, so an E05 or E01 might fill your needs best.

#235178 - 11/06/11 11:42 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: wileycoyote]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
LOL, 0.04 lumens, wow, that's low. But I can see its uses. Sometimes even the 0.3 lumen low setting of something like my Novatac seems too bright when your eyes are dark adapted.

Personally, I think 60 lumens is a bit too much output for a keychain light. To me, a keychain light is primarily meant for close range, arm's length usage, and 60 lumens seems like it would be a lot of glare in many situations, and certainly way too much for situations where you'd like to be somewhat unobtrusive (reading a menu at a restaurant, looking for something you dropped at the movie theater, etc.)

Still, for that price, I think I may need to get me one!

And you're right, wileycoyote, the tint of the E01 can be pretty disappointing if you're unlucky, which is another reason why I prefer the E05 over the E01, besides the output and flood optic.

#235179 - 11/06/11 11:58 PM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Arney]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
Originally Posted By: Arney
LOL, 0.04 lumens, wow, that's low. But I can see its uses. Sometimes even the 0.3 lumen low setting of something like my Novatac seems too bright when your eyes are dark adapted.

Personally, I think 60 lumens is a bit too much output for a keychain light. To me, a keychain light is primarily meant for close range, arm's length usage, and 60 lumens seems like it would be a lot of glare in many situations, and certainly way too much for situations where you'd like to be somewhat unobtrusive (reading a menu at a restaurant, looking for something you dropped at the movie theater, etc.)

Still, for that price, I think I may need to get me one!

And you're right, wileycoyote, the tint of the E01 can be pretty disappointing if you're unlucky, which is another reason why I prefer the E05 over the E01, besides the output and flood optic.

i couldn't agree more Arney! well said.

for years i have been very happy with simple single-stage 10 or 30 lumens lights, but have been amazed at the Ti's utility of having both super-run-time for extreme dark, and having a burned to blinding things at a distance.

#235180 - 11/07/11 12:04 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Arney]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Speaking of small flood lights, check out the 1xAA Zebralight I have one and the beam is very smooth with no discernible hotspot, just a nice even light over a broad area -- good choice for close up IMO.

#235182 - 11/07/11 12:13 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: wileycoyote]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
the new runtime king for 1xAAA is the ThruNite Ti.

Looks very impressive. Thanks for the heads-up, I've ordered a couple.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.