Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#235393 - 11/10/11 12:01 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: ireckon]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Note the Fenix E05 is smaller, lighter and higher performing (more lumens) than the E01. The E05 is only about $6 more on Amazon.

Yes, and I've read some very nice things about them. Personally I'd pick a 4sevens preon if I wanted a new AAA light (I don't - the AA light gives almost tripple the runtime for the slight increase in size).

I'm sure anyone with E05 or LD01 on their key chain is happy. But E01 is for anyone that does not really care about lighs and lumens, but requires reliabilty above all else.

#235398 - 11/10/11 12:22 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Compared to just a few years ago, there are quite a few reliable, key chain size lights for a variety of prices, and more seem to be coming to market every day.

#235402 - 11/10/11 01:18 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Cauldronborn2]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I'm stumped. Assuming everything else is roughly equal, why is a twist preferable over a button?

I have both. I prefer a button, but maybe there's something I don't know.

#235405 - 11/10/11 02:00 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: ireckon]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'm stumped. Assuming everything else is roughly equal, why is a twist preferable over a button?

I have both. I prefer a button, but maybe there's something I don't know.

I've had button-types turn on in my pocket without me knowing.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#235409 - 11/10/11 02:37 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA

It's harder to give yourself a hot pocket, and twisties are more reliable than clickies. Twisties tend to be shorter (and thus easier to carry). Some people prefer twisties because they feel it's easier to operate them.

Personally, I prefer clickies for any purpose other than a keychain.

#235412 - 11/10/11 02:58 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: chaosmagnet]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
It's harder to give yourself a hot pocket, and twisties are more reliable than clickies. Twisties tend to be shorter (and thus easier to carry). Some people prefer twisties because they feel it's easier to operate them.

Bingo! That's basically my list of reasons, too. The Mini Maglite and Solitaire are also twisties.

However, to be fair, the very common coin cell keychain lights are...well, not exactly clickies, but certainly not twisties, so twisties are not the only reliable game in town. I've had the same Photon II on my keys for over 10 years and the switch has never failed to light up yet. I forget if the Photon II is waterproof, but all that dirt, lint, dead skin cells and sweat hasn't bothered its switch yet.

#235415 - 11/10/11 03:11 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
...E01 is for anyone that does not really care about lighs and lumens, but requires reliabilty above all else...

And/or runtime, as the OP mentioned. I carry an E05 for the output and beam quality for routine use in various situations and I don't worry about how long the battery lasts. However, if I were mostly concerned about having an emergency light source on my keychain for when I'm unexpectedly plunged into darkness, I think I'd lean towards the E01.

Whenever there's some power outage for whatever reason, I always shake my head whenever I read about people trying to use the screens of their mobile phones as a sort of makeshift flashlight as they stumble around in the dark. It's so easy to have a decent flashlight on you always. Phones make poor flashlights, and that's an incredible waste of battery life for a valuable tool.

#235419 - 11/10/11 04:31 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Arney]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Arney
Phones make poor flashlights, and that's an incredible waste of battery life for a valuable tool. [emphasis added]
A very very good point.

Sigh. Maybe I'll go back to EDC'ing a flashlight on my belt. I've been EDC'ing just a key chain Photon around my neck, but a bright light with a tiny battery can't have much battery life. I get tired of being teased about my "super hero belt" (if I have multiple things on my belt), but then again who will be laughing when there's a power outage and I've got a light?

HJ

#235421 - 11/10/11 05:14 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I've been EDC'ing just a key chain Photon around my neck, but a bright light with a tiny battery can't have much battery life.

Actually, depending on how bright you want a light to be, maybe you don't really need to switch. I believe the runtime between your coin cell Photon and a 1xAAA Fenix E01 is going to be roughly similar. The E01 should be brighter, but in true darkness, you don't need much to get by as long as the light is focused enough so you can point it at what you want to see (and why the unfocused light from mobile phone screens are a poor substitute for a flashlight).

The Photon might be less convenient because you have to continually squeeze it (hence the reason why I carry a Photon II with a switch), but conversely, using the Photon intermittently will greatly increase the runtime. With the E01, you're far more likely to turn it on and leave it on continuously, but battery changes are easier and can be done in the dark.

Two coin cell Photons (say, one around your neck and one on your keys) are arguably better preparation and take up the same volume than a single "bigger" light on your belt that you're not that eager to clip on every day because you will probably be far more likely to have the Photons actually on you when you need it. The Photons just won't be able to be as bright as a bigger light can get.

#235422 - 11/10/11 05:23 AM Re: New keychain flash light recommendations needed [Re: Arney]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I've been EDC'ing just a key chain Photon around my neck, but a bright light with a tiny battery can't have much battery life.

Actually, depending on how bright you want a light to be, maybe you don't really need to switch. I believe the runtime between your coin cell Photon and a 1xAAA Fenix E01 is going to be roughly similar. The E01 should be brighter, but in true darkness, you don't need much to get by as long as the light is focused enough so you can point it at what you want to see (and why the unfocused light from mobile phone screens are a poor substitute for a flashlight).

The Photon might be less convenient because you have to continually squeeze it (hence the reason why I carry a Photon II with a switch), but conversely, using the Photon intermittently will greatly increase the runtime. With the E01, you're far more likely to turn it on and leave it on continuously, but battery changes are easier and can be done in the dark.

Two coin cell Photons (say, one around your neck and one on your keys) are arguably better preparation and take up the same volume than a single "bigger" light on your belt that you're not that eager to clip on every day because you will probably be far more likely to have the Photons actually on you when you need it. The Photons just won't be able to be as bright as a bigger light can get.
Hmm. Interesting points. I've actually got the Photon II (with a switch) by the way.

So a coin cell will last as long as a single AAA light? That's counter intuitive.

HJ

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.