Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#235516 - 11/11/11 05:43 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I go with the Adventure Medical Kits "Pocket Trauma Pack." For $20 you get QuikClot along with the traditional trauma items.

Does it come with a tourniquet?

Quote:
Showed them my AMK PTP and they were like "Pfft. Don't need it."

Mindset is first, training is second, gear is third. They need to get themselves an improved mindset if you ask me.

#235517 - 11/11/11 05:46 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
"Pfft. Don't need it."
Famous last words.

Yeah, a twisted ankle is probably a more frequent occurrence on a hunt than a gunshot wound, but it does happen. Think of it as a PFD for hunters. Not something you plan to use, but just a sensible (and reasonable) precaution, and like a PFD, the consequences of not having one are potentially quite dire.

HJ

#235523 - 11/11/11 06:07 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

A tourniquet for someone else isn't too hard to improvise if you've got the right belt or some strapping. For self-aid, though, you really want to have one that's purpose-built for one-handed application. The SWAT-T in the Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit doesn't fit that bill, I should really add a CAT-T to my laptop bag. Finding room for an IFAK in my laptop bag is excessive; I'm better off using that room for other things.

My most complete IFAK (http://www.narescue.com/USCG_IFAK-CN5B2F15EFB001.html, highly recommended, no affliation) is in my range bag. I've added a few things to it. It goes onto my belt when I'm on the range shooting or as an RSO. I keep a modified Army IFAK in my BOB.

#235535 - 11/11/11 07:57 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Personally I EDC both a IFAK (AMK Ultralight & Watertight .7) and my pocket trauma pack. I've been victim or witness to Murphy's Law too many times to not want to cover all my bases.

The Army IFAK I was referring to is this one: http://www.armyproperty.com/Resources/NSN-Listings/IFAK.htm. I've added better and more tape, a CPR facemask, better gloves, shears, a dose of aspirin, a dose of Benadryl, petrolatum gauze, and a tension pneumothorax decompression needle. Thank goodness I've only opened it up for training and restocking. The regular FAK in my BOB gets a heck of a lot of use, though.

#235539 - 11/11/11 08:13 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Last Friday night I was at a bonfire party. Few guys there who hunt. Another who does tactical pistol shooting competitions. None of them carry blow out kits. Showed them my AMK PTP and they were like "Pfft. Don't need it."

You must be losing your hearing as you get older Izzy. Surely you must have missed the "hopefully" or "God willing" in there somewhere. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235548 - 11/11/11 09:04 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: bacpacjac]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Last Friday night I was at a bonfire party. Few guys there who hunt. Another who does tactical pistol shooting competitions. None of them carry blow out kits. Showed them my AMK PTP and they were like "Pfft. Don't need it."

You must be losing your hearing as you get older Izzy. Surely you must have missed the "hopefully" or "God willing" in there somewhere. wink
Maybe they said "In'shallah" -- slightly different meaning (sort of resigning oneself to the will of God).

HJ

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.