Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#235339 - 11/09/11 05:41 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: chaosmagnet]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
It's hard to beat an Esbit tab for a firestarter.
It's pretty good stuff although "Boy Scout Juice" (white gasoline) works pretty good too.

HJ

#235342 - 11/09/11 05:52 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
My experience is that the typical chem lights are worthless since they more often than not are dark when you need them. The exception are chem lights made for PFS's. They are packaged in a tough plastic capsule that does protect them properly. Look for a USCG approval.

Any brand recommendations? I guess I'll have to test one of my chem lights tonight. Would hate to find out that I wasted money. Would be worse to find that out when I need them.

DB

#235347 - 11/09/11 06:42 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I carry the ten essentials with a beefed up FAK, yellow Playtex kitchen gloves (much more rugged than surgical gloves), a GPS, PLB.

In winter I'll add my small alcohol stove, hot chocolate, and some extra food high in carbs.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz
www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

Edited by Outdoor_Quest (11/09/11 06:44 PM)

#235350 - 11/09/11 07:19 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have not messed around with chem lights for several years, so perhaps things have changed, but on at least six occasions either I or someone in my party has ripped off the covering from a chem lite and snapped it, only to find - no light. I did carry the more durable kind and I found them to work much better, although I only had limited experience, perhaps three samples.

The ones that work are made specifically for installation on a PFD; they have a large clip for that purpose attached to the tube. I am not sure about brand names, but they did have a USCG approval number.

The problem with the normal variety seemed to be wear and tear on the outside covering; the ones that failed were worn and displayed pinholes.

There are electronic versions of chem lights that I suspect are more reliable, if equipped with good batteries. I have not tried any of them.

#235353 - 11/09/11 07:30 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
TeacherRO,

A question or two first. What kind of hunting? Cooler north of where? Hunting boar in North Florida is a LOT different from hunting phesant in north Nebraska, which is even more different from hunting Elk in north Montana. All of these call for different packs.

In a general sense I agree with the information you have already been given, but I like to look at the pack in a slightly different way. There are three sets of "stuff" in your pack, although some of them work in more than one set. First is the things you need for everyday in the field - the stuff you WILL use. Water, lunch (for me a pot, tea cup and matches) spare socks, TP, jacket, maps and compass, etc. Then there is the stuff you need for what you are planning to do - Rifle, ammo, knife, game bags, gauntlets, wet naps, etc. This is the stuff you hope to use.

The third catagory is those things you hope you DON'T use. The dedicated survival stuff. This includes your PSK in a shirt or pants pocket, your FAK, survival matches and additional fire starters plus tinder, shelter (including clothing) for a night out, etc. It often includes backups for many of the things you carry for the first two reasons as well.

I will assume that you know what you need for the first two reasons. I can't answer them except in the most general way without the answer to my first questions. The last reason is, I think, what you are asking about. My criteria for this last group is that I can spend a safe - if not comfortable - night out in the worst weather possible. I need to augment my daytime clothing with additional pieces suitable for nighttime temps in whatever shelter I carry or can provide from the environment. Then I wish to be found in the morning when people come looking for me (they will, I leave a good trip plan).

Now to something of a list for Fall/Winter -
Your 10 - 20 :-) essentials,
a shelter appropriate for the weather (from a heavy duty reflective sheet to a bivi bag to a tarp or forester tent to a tent),
an insulating layer (blanket, poncho liner, sleeping bag, etc) enough to help the daytime clothing become appropriate for the night,
some ground insulation (situpon, thermarest chair, mattress)
and dinner and breakfast (in cold weather food is critical for maintaining temperatature, only this and a fire add heat).
Several ways of making fire for warmth, companionship and warm food.
a trip plan.
several means of finding my way home (for me this is usually part of my basic gear and/or my reason for being in the woods) map & compass, GPS.
several means of summoning help (whistle, mirror, lights, radio, PLB, cell phone)

I consider these the minimum for cold weather protection. After you spend a few nights out you may too. Many people consider me an "over-achiever" in survival gear (my words, not theirs). I have spent too many unintended nights out to consider less.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (11/09/11 07:32 PM)

#235366 - 11/09/11 09:10 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: NightHiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
IMHO white gas = tinder & esbit tabs = kindling

Like a cotton ball (sans the pj) liquid fuels tend to burn for a few seconds, use that to light a solid fuel tab which normally burns for several minutes and you've got a hard to beat combo. (I go with a jp cotton ball & an esbit tab, it's been a long time since I've been able to get a fire to the add fuel stage.

Ah. I see what you're saying.

HJ

#235388 - 11/09/11 11:24 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Energizer is marketing a battery operated lightstick similiar to the Lifegear one, albiet without the cheesy whistle. Side by side in Target, the Energizer looked slightly brighter to me.

Cheers,

C. Rowe

#235396 - 11/10/11 12:13 AM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Doug_Ritter Online   happy

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
What should a hunter carry in the cooler regions for the north - Fall to winter season?

Small pack with
1. dry socks
2. rain gear
3. basic 10
3. water
4. Direction finding; gps/ map/ compass
5. cell phone. charged

FWIW, I wouldn't consider going out hunting without a good emergency trauma package with me. Used to be a PITA, now you can get them all assembled with good supplies for a reasonable price. Stuff happens hunting that can be a lot more difficult to deal with than a typical injury on a hike.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#235411 - 11/10/11 02:39 AM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I second that. Blow out kit is a must.

There's a very small and inexpensive one that I carry in my laptop bag: http://www.rescue-essentials.com/product_p/30-0955.htm (no affiliation other than as a customer).

#235505 - 11/11/11 04:27 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
bulletproofvest Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York
hey, don't forget some snacks. and a first aid kit, mind you. hunting in the wild is always dangerous so you need to be prepared for injuries.

-----------------------
http://concealedbodyarmor.weebly.com/

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.