Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#235302 - 11/09/11 03:17 AM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: ironraven]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: ironraven
... a spare blaze vest for the deer, and some surveyor's tape.
Excellent idea to bring a vest for the deer. Some surveyor's tape on the antlers should clear things up for any bleary eyed hunters.

Question on the chem lights/light sticks. I stopped carrying them because they generally have a short shelf life. Any brands out there with year+ shelf lives?

HJ

#235304 - 11/09/11 03:33 AM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've mostly stopped for that reason to, but I do still keep some around becuase they are zero-spark and utterly waterproof. And then I throw them into jackle lanterns at halloween- radioactive green is kinda cool to me, and the landlord appreciates the no candles. But I EDC a Garrity light stick, not the most robust light I have but it is on par with a normal Cylume for brightness, lasts longer, and can be turned off. Or set to strobe, and then if you swing it like a bullroarer, yeah, that's obvious at night.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#235309 - 11/09/11 04:22 AM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: ironraven]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I've mostly stopped for that reason to, but I do still keep some around becuase they are zero-spark and utterly waterproof. And then I throw them into jackle lanterns at halloween- radioactive green is kinda cool to me, and the landlord appreciates the no candles. But I EDC a Garrity light stick, not the most robust light I have but it is on par with a normal Cylume for brightness, lasts longer, and can be turned off. Or set to strobe, and then if you swing it like a bullroarer, yeah, that's obvious at night.
Exactly. The Garrity might be good way to go. I used to carry a life jacket type USCG approved strobe but finally gave it up as too heavy. I keep it in my car kit now.

HJ

#235311 - 11/09/11 04:27 AM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: ironraven]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I'd start with my Core 15:
Knife, Firestarters (2 kinds), water carrier and purification, metal pot/cup/bottle, signals (cell, active audiable and visual- you should have passive visual with your blaze orange already, PLB if you can swing it), cordage, navigation (compass, map, gps), flashlight (with batteries), fak, tools (pliers and a SAK or a multi), socks, ID, some small food, and rain gear and/or thermal layer, in a small pack. Oh, wait, that's my EDC- so I'll add a little more.

For hunting, I'd add a tarp or sportsmans blanket (maybe a wool blanket, to), gauntlets, guts bag, a couple chemlights or a light stick, some thermal packs, minimal cleaning kit, and a spare blaze vest for the deer, and some surveyor's tape.

Oh, and a partner. I don't do big game alone, deer or bear. Easier to carry out with two. smile
How does he feel about the inside of your pack? wink

HJ

#235312 - 11/09/11 04:30 AM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
A bright orange fleece or merino wool Balaclava,w/ an xtra large wool watchcap(beanie)to go over that,good mittens w/ shooting finger,a frisbee to sit on,dig snow with,eat off of,organize tinder,etc.,etc.Waterproof gaiters & A Doug Ritter PSK hanging around your neck or in a shirt pocket.

#235316 - 11/09/11 05:41 AM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Question on the chem lights/light sticks. I stopped carrying them because they generally have a short shelf life. Any brands out there with year+ shelf lives?

HJ

My experience is that the typical chem lights are worthless since they more often than not are dark when you need them. The exception are chem lights made for PFS's. They are packaged in a tough plastic capsule that does protect them properly. Look for a USCG approval.

#235322 - 11/09/11 12:27 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
One of the big problems with winter survival is starting a fire in a cold wet windy environment. Carrying a bic lighter and some vaseline coated cotton balls may not be enough. You might want to tuck a road flare and/or a small can of zippo fuel in your pack for that ultimate wet wood fire starting capability. Might save your life if you suddenly find yourself soaking wet.

#235323 - 11/09/11 12:56 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
One of the big problems with winter survival is starting a fire in a cold wet windy environment. Carrying a bic lighter and some vaseline coated cotton balls may not be enough. You might want to tuck a road flare and/or a small can of zippo fuel in your pack for that ultimate wet wood fire starting capability. Might save your life if you suddenly find yourself soaking wet.

+1. I like to think I'm pretty handy with firecraft but winter here is challenging. We can get extended sub-zero temps. Humidity isn't usually an issue but of course we get cold and wet, too. I've been keeping some vacuum sealed Esbit/Hexamine tabs for emergencies...once it gets bad out I'll test them in the wet & cold.

#235324 - 11/09/11 01:44 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
It's hard to beat an Esbit tab for a firestarter.

#235337 - 11/09/11 04:18 PM Re: Hunter's pack [Re: NightHiker]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I like to carry a small medicine bottle stuffed with cotton balls/vasaline and big chucks of pine pitch.

A tiny squeeze bottle with chalk line chalk in a bright color
to test wind direction and as another method for marking a blood
trail if grid ribbon runs out.

Sometimes a 6 foot piece of tubular climbing webbing to make a
drag harness out of.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.