Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#235000 - 11/02/11 06:34 PM Recommend me a deer-butchering knife
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I get 1-3 deer a year skinned and quartered from a co-worker but I do all the rest of the cutting. I'm currently using a hand-made Nesmuck-style knife, but either my technique is poor or this style knife doesn't live up to its hype. It takes me 4-5 hours to process a deer and the end results are pretty hacked up.

Anyone have a knife they really like for butchering deer? Is it possible that my knife is too sharp?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#235006 - 11/02/11 10:06 PM Re: Recommend me a deer-butchering knife [Re: Blast]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

Blast,

I came across this article, with videos, a week or so ago. This guy uses a fillet knife. You sound like you get your deer later in the process but perhaps this will give you some ideas. Hope it helps.

Bill

#235008 - 11/02/11 10:27 PM Re: Recommend me a deer-butchering knife [Re: Blast]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
A Neesmuck knife is desinged for skinning I believe.A different process entirely.I would get an "Old Hickery" butcher's knife.That style of blade was purpose specific.My father was a butcher for a while and used one.He also had a huge knife made from a cross cut saw blade W/ 16 inch blade.He only used carbon steel blades and would touch up on a butchers steel.Hope this helps.....

BOATMAN
John

#235010 - 11/02/11 10:38 PM Re: Recommend me a deer-butchering knife [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Blast
...Is it possible that my knife is too sharp?

-Blast

Is there such a thing as too sharp? Which Nesmuk do you have? D2 steel can be sharp but toothy and will sometimes tear rather that cut cleanly.

It sounds to me like your Nesmuck is the wrong knife for the job, not a sharpness issue.

Outdoor wilderness knives have their place as do cleavers and fillet knives designed for kitchen duty. Why not try a simple Butcher knife? Or maybe one of the many Chefs knives available. A Santoku is another kitchen knife that works well slicing.

#235024 - 11/03/11 04:13 AM Re: Recommend me a deer-butchering knife [Re: boatman]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: boatman
A Neesmuck knife is desinged for skinning I believe.A different process entirely.
BOATMAN
John

That's the conclusion I've come to. The Nesumk has it's place at the beginning of the process but by the time I get the quartered carcass a different blade-shape would probably serve me better.

The knife was made a knife-maker friend of mine. Judging from the scales on the blade it looks like he he forged the blade from an "Old Hickory" style knife. I started the butchering process with it absolutely razor-sharp and steeled it every 10 minutes or so throughout the job. It seemed like it just slid over the meat and membranes rather than cutting through them.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#235026 - 11/03/11 05:44 AM Re: Recommend me a deer-butchering knife [Re: Blast]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Here....Has a Deer...

Here Has one very suspicious of what Im doing.

Right Click and view image for a lil bigger.

#235027 - 11/03/11 06:09 AM Re: Recommend me a deer-butchering knife [Re: Blast]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i think Russ may have the right idea,just a simple butcher knife.
when we were cutting up road kill to toss to the wolves at a science study center here in Minnesota i asked one of the staff what sort of knife he used daily and it was just a plain butcher knife.i have a good book on the tools of the fur trade era by Carl Russell,1968,and it seems when you look past all the big fighting knives and general camp knives what people were really using on farms and homesteads was the Green River butchering knife with a bit of a up swept blade.on a personal basis i have used a Helle with a short blade and a big grip,sorry can't think of the name right now,on deer along with a Mora 2000.the Mora cut thru the meat with no effort and the Helle was good in the tight spots.
..i just went to Ragweed to check on the name of that Helle,it's a Nying..also why not get one of those reindeer butchering knives he has---that will solve your problem--

Edited by CANOEDOGS (11/03/11 06:10 AM)

#235028 - 11/03/11 06:41 AM Re: Recommend me a deer-butchering knife [Re: Blast]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
For meat cutting many people like a toothier edge. A 320 grit belt followed by a stropping on a leather belt doped with CrO will do the trick.

#235032 - 11/03/11 12:13 PM Re: Recommend me a deer-butchering knife [Re: Phaedrus]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
My go-to for butchering pig (we get one every year from my cousin's farm) is a very plain Mora. I touch it up with a very simple carbide sharpener he keeps on the table as we're working.

#235057 - 11/03/11 11:30 PM Re: Recommend me a deer-butchering knife [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I help bone out a deer or two every fall. Usually, people start out with their fat, clumsy hunting knives ... and then rapidly switch over to my pail full of second-hand specials: Mora, Henckels, Victorinox, and Old Hickory.

There is a reason why the "butcher" and "green river skinner" blade patterns are universal items. That said, I'm not convinced that pattern is the critical issue.

First, a thin blade is better (simply less resistance). You need a cutter for this job, not a prybar.

Second, as noted by others, a "toothier" edge is actually better for peeling off membrane, chewing around cartilage and bone etc. A blade can indeed be too sharp IMO, both for skinning and for processing. I use a medium diamond or a well-worn garden stone for this type of edge, maintained with a good quality steel (I pick up Henckels steels for a buck or two at garage sales; and I have a Norton garden stone that is now 30 years old and starting to break in rather nicely).

I like the idea of a longish, semi-flexible knife for boning out an animal. There are purpose-built boning knives, but I think you can get a better quality semi-flexible filleting knife for a song and it would work wonderfully.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 379 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.