Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#234897 - 11/01/11 07:23 AM People Stuck on Tarmac for up to 7 Hours
Frisket Offline
Addict

Just found this story

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/jetblue...=MW_latest_news

Regardless of the source/story What would you do if you where stuck on a packed plane due to snow on the ground for multiple hours on end?

#234898 - 11/01/11 10:05 AM Re: People Stuck on Tarmac for up to 7 Hours [Re: Frisket]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
This is a particularly difficult exercise given silly TSA restrictions and extra baggage charges that have been causing folks to try to pack all the things they need for the trip in their carry on luggage.

I would think the most important thing to have with me would be an extra cell phone battery or portable means of charging the cell phone so that I could reach someone at the airline to let them know how I felt.

Although, in this case, if they would not listen to the pilot, I do not know what good my call would do.

#234900 - 11/01/11 11:16 AM Re: People Stuck on Tarmac for up to 7 Hours [Re: Frisket]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
With no bathrooms, establish a pee corner. Preferably as close to first class as possible, send a message...

#234901 - 11/01/11 11:33 AM Re: People Stuck on Tarmac for up to 7 Hours [Re: Frisket]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
It is moments like that when you are thankful that you are prepaired. Normaly I carry a way to charge my cellphone, and I carry a smart phone. for me it would be Netflix on my phone and an atempt to chill as much as posable.

after hour 3 I would be talking to somone asking them if the idea of going back to the terminal wouldn't be out of the question.

#234902 - 11/01/11 12:35 PM Re: People Stuck on Tarmac for up to 7 Hours [Re: Frisket]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
In extreme cases passengers have called police to tell them that they were being held against their will on the tarmac. It seems like these sorts of incidents have become less common since the "Passenger Bill of Rights" passed.

If I flew regularly I'd definitely want an Advanced Boredom Reduction System like an iPad. It's too hard to use even my smallish laptop in coach.

#234905 - 11/01/11 02:07 PM Re: People Stuck on Tarmac for up to 7 Hours [Re: Frisket]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

iphone, ipad, books, ipod, pillow so I don't sleep in a bad position. If you raise too much of stink, they can cause you some legal issues for interfering with the drew. Calling someone outside to complain might help. If there is a health issue you can use to your advantage, you might consider it for that long of a stay. I have been there for up to 4 hours without being allowed to deplane. Painful.

#234906 - 11/01/11 02:17 PM Re: People Stuck on Tarmac for up to 7 Hours [Re: Frisket]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

A good book to read (several if carrying an i-Pad or Kindle) and some salty and sweet snacks would get me comfortably through several hours. Internet access would easily kill a few hours. I always have my laptop.

And I always have tissues (substitutes as tp) and some other comfort items on board.

There are far worse situations than sitting in an airplane for a several extra hours - that is one which does not worry me. It would be very irritating.

Remember to pack the earplugs -- well worth the fraction of an ounce.

#234910 - 11/01/11 03:38 PM Re: People Stuck on Tarmac for up to 7 Hours [Re: Frisket]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Wow, what a huge lawsuit waiting to happen, I would think the airline would do everything it could to get those passengers out of there. On top of that, huge fines are likely according to the article. I don't see why the airline could not have deplaned people after the 2:00 hours mark or so, or at least deplane those who absolutely needed to get off.

Another bad thing is that the flight was going from Connecticut to Paris. That's a long flight. Did the plane just take-off for the long flight after the delay? That would continue the nightmare.

For me personally, after this experience, I'd end up doing a lot more driving for trips of 500 miles or less. I could entertain myself for days without a problem. That's not a survival issue for me. However, the lack of a working bathroom would be a huge problem for me and for everybody else on the plane!

#234912 - 11/01/11 04:10 PM Re: People Stuck on Tarmac for up to 7 Hours [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'd end up doing a lot more driving for trips of 500 miles or less.

Having been stuck on the tarmac for four hours before, it's pretty rare that I'll get on a plane for any reason any more.

#234918 - 11/01/11 04:36 PM Re: People Stuck on Tarmac for up to 7 Hours [Re: Frisket]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Its good to remember - Its not that it was impossible to get off, its that someone decided not to drive a stairs over to the plane. ALL airports have portable stair units for passengers to walk down and into the building. They decided not to use them. And all 22 gates busy for every minute of the 7 hour delay...hard to imagine.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.