Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#234720 - 10/29/11 02:16 PM Couple lost in apple orchard - called 911
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Some people apparently need a SPOT locater duct-taped to their hiney if they go anywhere wilder than a shopping mall.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/10/couple-lost-in-apple-orchard-calls-911/

#234725 - 10/29/11 03:40 PM Re: Couple lost in apple orchard - called 911 [Re: Dagny]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

(shakes head)

#234728 - 10/29/11 05:20 PM Re: Couple lost in apple orchard - called 911 [Re: Dagny]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I do not understand how people can be so unbelievably small minded.

IMO the 911 dispatcher should tell callers like this "I am hanging up now and you are NOT to call back unless it is an emergency. If you call back for the same issue we will be sending an officer out & he won't be there to assist you."

#234730 - 10/29/11 07:26 PM Re: Couple lost in apple orchard - called 911 [Re: 7point82]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: 7point82
I do not understand how people can be so unbelievably small minded.

IMO the 911 dispatcher should tell callers like this "I am hanging up now and you are NOT to call back unless it is an emergency. If you call back for the same issue we will be sending an officer out & he won't be there to assist you."

Have a heart - from the article it sounds like the farm operators had a good sense of humor about the 911 call. City folks getting lost in your orchard - it sounds like something to tell your grand kids about. 911 operators are paid to rally response to calls with appropriate speed, and not to editorialize and decide which to respond to. Its up to the first responders to deal with things at the scene. As long as they weren't diverted from a life threatening call, I would think this response would be high on their discussion list with the spouse that evening; a nice relief from MVAs and domestic disturbances.

Some people are easily discombobulated in strange surroundings, especially with the onset of darkness. I blame the zombies, or the fear of zombies actually. Every horror movie ever made has told us you never want to be left out at dark in a remote place - like an orchard, or corn maze - after dark. Don't believe me? Someone should commission a poll and ask people, do they believe in the existence of zombies, the walking dead? Like the poll that established that 70%+ of Americans believe in angels, given all the media focus on zombies, I think many actually do believe in zombies. And if not zombies, then vampires - Kirsten Stewart makes the whole vampire thing way sexier and more stylish than zombies. Every 15 year old female dreams of having her neck drooled on by Robert Pattinson.

#234732 - 10/29/11 07:35 PM Re: Couple lost in apple orchard - called 911 [Re: Lono]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The corn field maze call was bettter than a lot of calls 911 gets in many jurisdictions. I read a piece a few years ago about this; it seems it is fairly common to call 911 to get the time of day, among other frivolities. I would not 911 dispatchers making judgment call.....

#234736 - 10/29/11 08:22 PM Re: Couple lost in apple orchard - called 911 [Re: Dagny]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I do have a heart wink and I wasn't worried about the disposition of the orchard owners. I agree, you don't want the dispatchers making those decisions. (When I typed that I knew I would think differently in ten seconds, but I decided to post it anyway because I'm just getting tired of the general narrow-mindedness of some people.)

It just baffles me that people think so little of others; or so little in general. I hope that stories like this will make people think twice about dialing 911 for anything but emergencies. It shouldn't take an object lesson to make people realize that someone that actually NEEDS emergency services may be in queue behind them. In the suburban and rural areas I frequent these trivial calls could be occupying the sole dispatcher or deputy. If my wife or daughter were the caller in queue I'd be mad as a mashed cat.

#234739 - 10/29/11 09:33 PM Re: Couple lost in apple orchard - called 911 [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
The corn field maze call was bettter than a lot of calls 911 gets in many jurisdictions. I read a piece a few years ago about this; it seems it is fairly common to call 911 to get the time of day, among other frivolities. I would not 911 dispatchers making judgment call.....
People calling 911 to get the time ought to get some time all right -- in the county lockup for the night.

HJ

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 152 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
28 minutes 12 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.