The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#234686 - 10/28/11 07:19 PM Re: A sad story that makes me angry [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm a big fan of the lanyard too Jim. My current set-up is a Fox40, a keychain LED, a firesteel and a Gerber micro multi-tool.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#234687 - 10/28/11 07:21 PM Re: A sad story that makes me angry [Re: Phaedrus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Not wearing a life jacket, while on the water in a boat, seems like a dumb way to die, especially for a fireman. Such a simple solution.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#234689 - 10/28/11 07:31 PM Re: A sad story that makes me angry [Re: bacpacjac]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I guess that the human capacity to NOT let knowledge influence his actions and routines is beyond comprehension...

As a father you have obligations to the next generations, such as sticking around until they reach maturity. Having two kids does not mean that I won't do some risky things, but I am more than willing to modify my behavior on some risk that are just too plain stupid to die from. Such as not using seat belts or PDF's.

If I engage in something risky (which usually I don't, I'm not a high risk seeker) then it should at least give me a little adrenalin fix. Not wearing PDF's isn't exactly one of those occasions.

But I'll give credit to his effort to make his son survive in the best possible style when things went awfully wrong.

#234694 - 10/28/11 09:34 PM Re: A sad story that makes me angry [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I pray for the kid. The mental image will be burned on his brain forever. Unfortunately, this incident will likely be his biggest childhood memory. I can't imagine.

#234699 - 10/28/11 10:57 PM Re: A sad story that makes me angry [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I totally agree with the comments about adults who put PPE - helmets and life jackets - on their kids and then do not wear them themselves. The emotion that is aroused in me is not anger, however, but sadness and a certain amount of admiration for a dad who could keep it together for his kid in that situation - probably better than simply slipping away silently. Let's hope he had good survivor benefits because it is going to be tough for mom.

#234701 - 10/28/11 11:31 PM Re: A sad story that makes me angry [Re: ireckon]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I pray for the kid. The mental image will be burned on his brain forever. Unfortunately, this incident will likely be his biggest childhood memory. I can't imagine.
Yeesh. eek Yeah, you got that right. Poor kid.

HJ

#234703 - 10/28/11 11:53 PM Re: A sad story that makes me angry [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

There is something else about this situation that is rather odd. "Being thrown from a kayak" should not constitute a life threatening emergency. Elementary kayak training teaches one to get back into the kayak, either through an Eskimo roll (a bit tricky) or a wet exit (much more straightforward). No one should have died, unless there are circumstances that aren't mentioned.

#234709 - 10/29/11 04:52 AM Re: A sad story that makes me angry [Re: Phaedrus]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
I see this often in boating where adults don't wear a PFD, kids are made to. It's the "do as I say, not as I do" crowd.

Reminds of the parents I see our riding a bicycle with their kids. Kids all have helmets, parent(s) do(does) not.

Agreed. Sometime, cost may be an issue. Parents provide their kids with PFD / helmet. etc. While the parents themselves feel they could handle the risk without safety equipment, to save some money.

I know of people having their personal self inflating PFD. But when they are on a boat, their PFD is nearly stored in their bag. Reasons for not wearing PFD is uncomfortable, embarrassed to be seem wearing one.

These people believe that they have sufficient time to put on their PFD before things get ugly.

Edited by firefly99 (10/29/11 05:21 AM)

#234717 - 10/29/11 12:33 PM Re: A sad story that makes me angry [Re: Phaedrus]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I don't understand the stigma of wearing a PFD, but admit that its there. The new self-inflating models are comfortable and not nerdy at all. When I see an adult wearing one, I think "that's a smart guy", not "what a geek". But then again, I'm an old married guy who frequents this forum. I'm likely not the 99%.

#234719 - 10/29/11 02:10 PM Re: A sad story that makes me angry [Re: celler]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The standard PFDs are bulky and awkward to wear. There are 'working' type PFDs with handy pockets that are somewhat better, but they are not readily available and are a bit pricy. The best compromise is a float coat which works very well when things are a bit nippy out on the water. models with a beaver tail will also do a better job of conserving body heat, a job at which the typical PFD fails miserably. in cold water, a PFD is nothing more than a handy marker for those retrieving bodies.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.