Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#234274 - 10/23/11 10:25 PM Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain
Hookpunch Offline

Lost Hiker in Vancouver

Sounds like all he needed was a whistle at one point and he could have shortened his ordeal by a few days.

#234282 - 10/23/11 11:34 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Another article said he was wearing running shoes. If his feet were so bad he required morphine, I assume he loses some toes at best.

I don't know the terrain, but he had a tarp and a little food. It seems to me that any knife, a lighter, a whistle, a cell phone, maybe a mirror, and boots would have saved his feet at least.

#234285 - 10/24/11 12:08 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Another article said he was wearing running shoes. If his feet were so bad he required morphine, I assume he loses some toes at best.

I don't know the terrain, but he had a tarp and a little food. It seems to me that any knife, a lighter, a whistle, a cell phone, maybe a mirror, and boots would have saved his feet at least.

Boots alone, it sounds like, would have made a significant difference.

#234292 - 10/24/11 12:48 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: chaosmagnet]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Boots alone, it sounds like, would have made a significant difference.

Here is the general area and an idea of the terrain in this picture that I took in Dec. 2010. Hanes Valley is slightly NW from here.

This link to a pdf map of Lynn Valley Park shows Hanes Valley just to the bottom right of the map legend.

The above picture was taken in the river bed at the Third Debris Chute location as denoted in the pdf.

This man was very lucky. This is extremely rugged and unforgiving country which has turned me back on more then one occasion.

Some more info on the rescue here.

John Lubbock

#234299 - 10/24/11 04:13 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Teslinhiker]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
[quote=TeslinhikerThis man was very lucky. This is extremely rugged and unforgiving country which has turned me back on more then one occasion. [/quote]

A beautiful landscape photo as always. Thanks for providing us a view into the area.

Looking at your map, it appears that he didn't make it in too far from the entry point, and that it is a well-used trail. I wonder if there's more to the story...........

#234303 - 10/24/11 08:57 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Odd... not much of a beard after 10 days.

Sue

#234307 - 10/24/11 10:12 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Susan]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I don't think that picture is fresh...

Big bonus for bringing a tarp and being able to stick around for 10 days. It takes some guts to do that.

Big anti-bonus for not filing a trip plan by a responsible person. Search initiated because his car wasn't moved for 10 days is a lousy substitute for a trip plan.

As always, there's very little detail reported. Bad shoes may have been a factor, but I would be reluctant to accept that as a hard fact with so little hard information to go on. I'll also abstain from commenting on what other preparations he made for that trip.

One other lesson, though: Being able to make a fire isn't always as easy as you think. Fire starters and a tool for manipulating wood are important tools.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (10/24/11 10:12 AM)

#234308 - 10/24/11 10:17 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

[quote=TeslinhikerThis man was very lucky. This is extremely rugged and unforgiving country which has turned me back on more then one occasion. /quote]

A beautiful landscape photo as always. Thanks for providing us a view into the area.

Looking at your map, it appears that he didn't make it in too far from the entry point, and that it is a well-used trail. I wonder if there's more to the story...........

Lower Lynn is a popular area but not a lot of people, proportionately do not get up into Hanes Valley. If you do venture up there, as always you need to be prepared. The area is punctuated by rugged terrain and dense forest. Step off the off the main trail(s) even 10's of yards, people can walk right by you and not even know you are there as was in this case. This man was fortunate that the woman who found him is a member of the local SAR and had access to the local SAR supply caches up there.

John Lubbock

#234309 - 10/24/11 10:20 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

One other lesson, though: Being able to make a fire isn't always as easy as you think. Fire starters and a tool for manipulating wood are important tools.

You are correct on the difficulty of fire making. There has been a lot of rain (days and weeks worth) up here along with temps at night close to freezing. The ground and vegetation up here are thoroughly saturated. Pretty tough conditions for fire making for even the experienced person...

John Lubbock

#234319 - 10/24/11 01:22 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

the 2 cents solution: Leave a trip plan with 2 people...and one in your car.

WHERE are you going?

WHO are you with?

WHAT are your carrying?

WHEN do you expect to be back?

ANY communications gear? Cell phone/ radio/etc?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.