The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#234360 - 10/24/11 08:28 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I went for my hike wearing a blaze orange boonie hat.
Saw lots of pickups in the parking area where I've only ever seen 1 before. Must be hunting season.

I saw 2 hunters 1/2 mile away wearing blaze orange.
I walked the other way.
Didn't see anyone all day and I was in open country and walking ridgelines with very lengthy views(at least no one wearing blaze orange).

For my non-hunting season hiking clothing I wear very muted colors (camo even) but I always carry a large blaze orange bandana and a reversible stocking cap (brown/orange) in my pack in the event that I need to become visible.

Blaze orange is quite astonishing in how well it draws the human eye.

#234372 - 10/24/11 11:20 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Nighthiker, that is Hi-larious.

I'll say this, I was going through some nutritional counselling for an organ issue and we talked about eating brightly colored foods, reds, greens, blues.

I looked at him kinda funny thinking, "Blueberry's, okay". well blueberries are really that blue. They're more purple. In fact there is not much food that is really a blue, most of it is a purplish color.

#234373 - 10/24/11 11:24 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: clearwater]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: clearwater
"Among other sizes on the chart, a .22 short can travel up to one mile. A 7mm or .338 can travel up to FIVE MILES!

Anyone who thinks a property line is going to stop a person or a bullet just plain isn't thinking very clearly!"

A bit misleading. Most hunting rounds shot at hunting angles,
will hit the ground in well under a mile. A 30-06 round
sighted in for max point blank range and shot at the level
will hit the dirt by 600 yards.

I suppose if you hunt
tree squirrels with your Weatherby, you might have cause to
worry at 5 miles.

Here is a Ballistics Calculator so you can figure stuff out yourself.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx

I can see where the fish and game wants you to know the worst
case outcomes so people don't do stupid stuff like firing
into the air or across water, but I don't want hunting areas shut down based on the wildest of possible outcomes either.

Not to get in a shouting match, but I think there's valid points on both sides. You forget ricochets off the ground with your point.

This was really illustrated when I got to fire a few weapons with the military. You could easily walk the 7.62 and .50 cal rounds onto a target at a half-mile with ricochets a few hundred yards in front of that targe. Tracers made it kind of fun to watch (from the outgoing side)

#234377 - 10/25/11 12:52 AM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
In the interest of accuracy, I did some quick research. I compared Automobile deaths to hunting deaths for 2004 and 2006 the closest years I could find numbers for:

"Worldwide it was estimated in 2004 that 1.2 million people were killed (2.2% of all deaths) and 50 million more were injured in motor vehicle collisions"

"Hunting accidents with firearms, despite the large gun ownership in the U.S. and numerous game seasons in most states, remain relatively rare and do not appear to be increasing. (Huiras, et al, 1990"

Based on my research, I now believe that all cars and pedestrians should be blaze orange, and hunters are good to go with camo.

#234384 - 10/25/11 02:57 AM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Came across the following incident, reported in a fishing magazine.
---Quote---
Two buddy went fishing on a mountain stream. One guy was wearing a brightly colour T shirt, either yellow or orange. He caught many fishes and was very happy. His friend started fishing some distance from him. As the guy was fishing, danger was approaching him but he was not aware of it. Just as he pulled another fish out of the water, a black shadow jumped out of the water. A crocodile jaw missed the man head by a few inches.
Both guy quickly run away from the stream.
---UnQuote---
Usually dull/natural colour would increase catch rate as it is less likely to spook any wary fish. Hence, it is very strange why that guy wearing a brightly colour shirt was so successful catching fish that day.

Does the brightly colour shirt play a part in catching the crocodile attention?

#234410 - 10/25/11 12:53 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: hikermor]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: hikermor

If I come across anyone on my hikes, the encounter intrudes on my illusion of solitude. Color is irrelevant The pain and horror is assuaged if they happen to be an attractive lady...

Of course, but if they're wearing bright colors, the intrusion happens from a lot further away. Much too far to determine if they are attractive.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Seriously, bright colors aid considerably in finding someone who is lost. You don't have to wear bright colors all the time, but you should have something available.

Agreed.

#234445 - 10/25/11 10:42 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
"Worldwide it was estimated in 2004 that 1.2 million people were killed (2.2% of all deaths) and 50 million more were injured in motor vehicle collisions"

The leading cause of deer hunting accidents is falling out of tree stands. So you know what we should do about those darned trees!

You can quote statistics until the world ends, but they don't really mean as much as having it happen to you:
7-yr-old hunting accident victim identified, when it's up-close and personal.

You simply can't always dodge stupid, ignorant, poorly-trained, careless, and totally irresponsible people, on the roads, in the woods, or at a party. You need to try to cut your losses as much as you can, no matter where you are. Woman, dog shot on state land

And then we have these incredibly stupid people here in WA

Sue

#234458 - 10/26/11 12:31 AM Re: Wearing color [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Byrd Hunter's stats work for me. I have been involved in far more car accidents than hunting accidents (0). Maybe I was lucky. My parents trained pretty thoroughly before I got to shoot anything.

Day in and day out, the most dangerous thing we do is to get in our cars and drive.

#234464 - 10/26/11 02:10 AM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I have to admit that at first I thought this might be a discussion of when to wear a blue versus red bandanna in certain urban environments.

In the woods I tend to wear earth tone colors adjusted according to the weather (i.e., darker colors in winter, lighter in summer). But I do keep a brightly-colored buff and a reflective orange safety vest with me just in case, and wear them prominently during hunting season.

#234490 - 10/26/11 01:27 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My mentality when I'm out is "safety first", so staying or getting found is at the top of the pruiority list. I'm a fan of wearing bright colours, expecially when you're out with kids and especially during hunting season. I go for a blaze orange hat and rain jacket, and make GI Joe (DS) wear something neon mixed in with his camos. We each also carry a neon banadna in our pockets which can accent our fashion sense with some added signalling.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.