Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#234461 - 10/26/11 01:57 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
My kids have all been hiking with me since they were able to walk. I've carried the youngest on my shoulders for miles when she got tired of walking, but she still didn't want to leave. Each had there own little pack with some supplies. Nothing like we bring today, but at least a jacket, rain gear, flashlight and food.

Some people aren't raised that way, and I commend them for getting out and enjoying nature. Unfortunately, they were never taught the importance of being prepared for unexpected trouble. Its too bad more kids don't get involved with scouts, though sometimes that's a mixed bag, too (I've helped rescue more than one lost scout leader, the most recent this summer. He was shockingly unprepared). Many schools in my area are adding an adventure course to their curriculum to introduce kids to more outdoors activities. Sadly, they do not seem to be providing any preparedness training to the course.

#234463 - 10/26/11 02:09 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Mark_M]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Many schools in my area are adding an adventure course to their curriculum to introduce kids to more outdoors activities. Sadly, they do not seem to be providing any preparedness training to the course.

I had not heard of this. So, it's just another expensive feel-good idea with the kids not learning to be self-sufficient in any way?

Your kids are incredibly lucky that their father (parents) cared enough to invest the time and effort.

I joined the Scouts just to learn how to camp and all that 'fun stuff'. All we did was sell calendars, sell candy, sell cookies, sell greeting cards, and make little circle poufs of cloth.

Sue

#234496 - 10/26/11 02:08 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Mark_M]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
My kids have all been hiking with me since they were able to walk. I've carried the youngest on my shoulders for miles when she got tired of walking, but she still didn't want to leave. Each had there own little pack with some supplies. Nothing like we bring today, but at least a jacket, rain gear, flashlight and food.

What a great set of habits to teach your kids, Mark! Teaching them to think proactively about their safely is a great gift to give them.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#234498 - 10/26/11 02:19 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've been trying to decide about the scouts. I was in the cub scounts growing up and it was more crafts than anything else. There is a pack of the Royal Rangers associated with out church but seems they are mostly on the other side of the city with their activities. And my daughter wants to follow right beside my son with anything we do and some of the different scouting troops are segregated.

Edited by Eugene (10/26/11 02:21 PM)

#234500 - 10/26/11 02:46 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Eugene]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Scouting all comes down to the unit leaders (most of whom are parents too). Cub Scouting is for younger boys, and so does tend toward more indoor activities; but a Pack with leaders who like to get outdoors will still do a lot of outdoors activities. Boy Scouts (usually 11 and up) tend more toward camping, but again it depends on the unit leaders.

My troop went out at least once a month, and our leaders had work and life experiences that meant we got to do first aid, wilderness survival, rappelling, backpacking, etc. There were other troops that did not do so much. If the nearest scouting unit (for either gender) is not doing what you want, put your kids in a better one. Or find other like-minded parents and start one!

#234504 - 10/26/11 03:26 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Eugene]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I've been trying to decide about the scouts. I was in the cub scounts growing up and it was more crafts than anything else. There is a pack of the Royal Rangers associated with out church but seems they are mostly on the other side of the city with their activities. And my daughter wants to follow right beside my son with anything we do and some of the different scouting troops are segregated.

Realistically, how the program is run comes down to the leaders, parents and kids involved. I think the best thing to do would be to talk with the leaders of a given program to find out how they do things.

Additionally, in Canada, we have Program Standards that each group's programming is expected to meet or exceed. Finding out how a group plans on meeting these standards could be a good starting point. I don't know if the BSA or other national organizations have anything similar.

As for your daughter, in Canada all levels of Scouts are co-ed but I don't know what options exist elsewhere.

#234507 - 10/26/11 03:35 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

When are the Equipped to Survive Troops starting up? smile

#234522 - 10/26/11 04:48 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
ETS troops are home schooled.

#234523 - 10/26/11 04:49 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Eugene]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Every Scout group is different, Eugene. You may have to try more than to meet like-minded people. Our groups gets each section out for a hike at least once a month, and we plan a group camping trip and evening outdoor adventure at least once a season, often twice. Other groups in our local area aren't as concerned about getting out into nature.

Someone has already mentioned the program standards we follow here in Canada, so I'll just say that if your group does crafts or plays dodgeball every week, talk to your leaders and get involved.

Sadly, if often comes down to money. We need enough youth to participate in excursions so we can off-set the costs. Also, if parents balk at their kids doing activities (appropriately dressed, of course) in inclement weather, we quickly get limited to the gyms.

As a Scout leader, and as a mom, I hate that!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#234525 - 10/26/11 04:54 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats the one downside. We see the a local scout pack in front of stores here selling popcorn every morning, thats not how i want to spend my time. I buy my kids gear but the scouts require their uniform and certain items that you have to buy through them. IMHO eliminate some of that and you can save some $ for outdoor gear.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.