Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#234173 - 10/21/11 10:54 PM Re: Jerks in our life [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Chisel

Problem with the squeaky wheel is that I want to live peacefully doing my things and not spend my time complaining or fighting. I will be retiring in 2-3 years and do not want to compete with anyone or bother anyone or be bothered by anyone.

If that is truly the case, you are already retired...Count your blessings, you are drawing full pay, right?

#234201 - 10/22/11 05:52 PM Re: Jerks in our life [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Yeah, I am trying to live like semi-retired , but jerks won't let that happen. I like to do my routine work, make a few small inventions now and then, and have a few benefits at reduced fees. It is only a few years to go. My pay with go down to 75% of what it is now, and no more reduced fees.

#234261 - 10/23/11 06:03 PM Re: Jerks in our life [Re: dweste]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: dweste

Look at jerks a different way: see them as a resource.

The only real resource is as a training resource, as in train to to perfect what Dweste called "jerk manipulation and distraction technique"...

Maybe they can be seen as mini-disasters to challenge your ability to adapt and overcome? Maybe they can be the source of Dilbert-like humorous how-not-to-do-it stories or lessons for which you can find an appreciative audience [like on this forum or the appropriate trade publication]?

All good points - but THIS really made my day:

Focus on pefecting jerk manipulation and distraction techniques

Anyone who's got great tip for jerk manipulation and/or distraction?

Edited by MostlyHarmless (10/23/11 06:18 PM)

#234262 - 10/23/11 06:11 PM Re: Jerks in our life [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Jerk management is a challenging skill. The most effective solutions seem to involve identifying jerks or near jerks with "complimentary attributes" and launch them at each other. Think of this a putting matter and anti-matter (or more realistically sodium an water) together.

You and the rest of the team can go about your business while the sparks fly, often resulting in rather sit-com like situations and hilarious inside jokes. As the moderator of this fun you will need to be sympathetic to both sides and encourage ongoing and continued "dialogue" to resolve the disputes without actually taking a side.

Of course if your "jerks" actually do figure out how to resolve their issues the rest of the department is doomed.

- Eric

#234297 - 10/24/11 01:35 AM Re: Jerks in our life [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I was telling my sister about this thread, and she insisted that I needed to add what is going on at the hospital where she works (a well-known west-coast chain).

The hospital has a "no-fire" policy, and they carry this insane, politically-correct format to incredible extremes.

There are two women there who are total freaks, and drive everyone else crazy: they have 'mooned' fellow employees, have grabbed male co-workers genitals, call to each other with loud gorilla sounds, hump each other, get into other employees' private e-mails, refuse to do their work, and go joyriding during work hours, etc, etc, etc.

And there is a guy who simply refuses to work. He just shows up so he can collect his paycheck.

They used to have a manager who was so nasty to everyone that they transferred her to another hospital. No one knows what she did, but she DID get fired, which was a shock to everyone. The only other firing in the system that anyone can recall is when a male nurse dragged an old man down the hall (on his back) to his room by his feet, which resulted in a lawsuit.

Corporate insanity has reached a new high in American business. Or is that a 'new low'?

Sue

#234426 - 10/25/11 05:23 PM Re: Jerks in our life [Re: Susan]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

One of our HATED managers spent heaps of money on office furniture and occupied our maintenance department for weeks on office re-modeling. When we asked for a few hundred dollars worth of stuff that will help us work efficiently , he started complaining about excees spending !!!!

That's just one example of his administrative style.

Other jerks are stil doing what they do best ( or worst)

Jerk #1 asks me as usual if I needed help !!!! There is tonnes of work and I don't understand why he wants to help ME !! Every one of us handles one job , unless someone asks another for help , everyone picks a job and finsih it.

This guy asks to help and I say NO.
He asks the other guy, and that guy tells him to do a certain job.
OK ... He comes back to me and asks me about items I am USING already. He needs them for his job !!! I point at another part of the facility and show him that he could work THERE and use THOSE tools for his job. He said : No !!! They are not complete ... Something is missing.

Can't this guy try to find that stuff elsewhere ???

So, I threw everything from my hand, took whatever part of the job I have finsihed to the next guy ( in another room ) and promised him I will bring the rest tomorrow. I just cannot work when jerk #1 is around.

I carried my bag and left !!!
My blood pressure must have reached a new high !!

#234427 - 10/25/11 05:29 PM Re: Jerks in our life [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

After reading the other thread ( mental health first aid ) I was thinking about mental first aid for myself. Sometimes I come back home after being really pissed off by our jerks, add a rash in the thighs, and fatigue , you get the picture. When I come home the little daughter wants something, the boy hasn't done what I asked him to do 2 days ago, and mom is compalining about something while my parents are upset (on the phone) why I didn't visit them for so long.

It is alot of pressure and its hard to keep calm and thoughts organized,. Sometimes I don't even have the peace of typing these posts without 2 or 3 interuptions.

I have managed to reduce my anger , but still I want to be able to handle myself better plus be able to diffuse other family problems while being totally depleted myself.

Any ideas on mental survival ?
As usual , many thanks to all of you .

#234428 - 10/25/11 05:56 PM Re: Jerks in our life [Re: Chisel]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Any ideas on mental survival ?
As usual , many thanks to all of you .

When I find myself ready to scream, I've found that an activity that involves applying violence helps immensely. I'm not suggesting you go out and start a brawl, but a 60 lb punching bag, a trip to the batting cages, or a trip to the shooting range has helped me immensely. Barring that, sic a babysitter on the kids go for a hike or at least get away from people for a couple of hours. Leave the cell phone at home or at least, turn it off.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#234431 - 10/25/11 06:22 PM Re: Jerks in our life [Re: Mark_R]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks but some are easier said than done.

A hike, for example, is not always possible or the best choice . Someone will say it is a great idea and offer/suggest to come with me, and if I say no, she will ask why not ??? I really don't want to go through such an arguement.

However, I agree in general about ways and means to relief stress and anxiety.

Dare I add something ?
... err.. can I say this ??

ahem... SEX, is a great relief .. sometimes.
Nothing like a few sizzling moments , and sleep.
Hope I didn't violate any rules !

Sometimes, awful things like news .. yes, awful news, can help. Just look at people in war torn countries or refugess surrounded by drought and war... This makes you realize your problems are nothing compared to problems of many others

#234432 - 10/25/11 06:41 PM Re: Jerks in our life [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I wrote this in June, posted at http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post225153 .

1) Attack the problem. This works with some problems (Work due soon: Get work done. House is a mess: Clean it up. Etc.) but not with other things (Family member is a sponging good for nothing).

2) Improve the state of the mind by working on the body. Food, exercise, sleep, and time alone with my wife are my favorites (not in that order).

3) Improve the state of the mind by working on the heart. Time with kids, wife and friends does this for me.

4) Improve the state of the mind by working on the mind. Work (sometimes), reading, video games, Internet fora, time alone to think (often combined with exercise), shooting (practice, training, competition).

5) Relaxation with retail therapy. Sometimes making a Costco run is therapeutic even if I'm just shopping for groceries. It seems to satisfy the hunter/gatherer in me.

6) Turning the mind off with TV, movies, and passive Internet surfing (distinct from contributing to fora).

7) Turning the mind off with beer, wine or liquor.

Note that booze, retail therapy and food can cause more problems than they temporarily alleviate. Drinking, spending and/or eating myself into drunken fat insolvency isn't as amusing as it used to be when I was younger.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.