The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#234252 - 10/23/11 03:20 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I buy almost every bit of outdoor clothing on close out, which tends to give me last choice in colors. I especially love my eVent rain jacket, a bright yellow with blue shoulders from Teva, cost something like $40 years ago. A park ranger saw me walking down from Skyscraper Pass on Mt Rainier one day in blowing sleet and described me as a great yellow yeti. Loud and proud. Visibility in the outdoors is underrated.

Edited by Lono (10/23/11 03:24 PM)

#234254 - 10/23/11 04:50 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I have friends who have belonged to canoe clubs for many years. They introduced the common-sense principle of always carrying a brightly-colored scarf with some safety pins on it to attach to their hat-of-the-day just for that reason. Even so, they had a close one on the Arkansas River one day.

Sue

#234256 - 10/23/11 05:01 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Whilst times are normal I would favour bright colors for the reasons others give, less risk of being shot by hunters, and more chance of being found in case of accident or injury.

It would however be well to have dull or camo clothing and backpack for use in case of TEOTWAWKI.
In such circumstances concealment could be valuable, but in normal conditions best to be seen.

#234263 - 10/23/11 06:53 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
We spend a lot of time in the woods. From December through August, you will find me in tans, muted greens, and browns. During the hunting season however, I will select from my enviable collection of blaze orange hats, bandanas, and vests when on foot near any hunting area. They are EDC in my car kits too, in case we get stranded and have to walk out.

#234268 - 10/23/11 08:34 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I wear mostly greens, browns and greys when I hike, 99% of which is in State parks where hunting isn't an issue. This is mostly in keeping with the Leave No Trace principles of not intruding on others outdoor experience.

Last week on the trail, I came across a woman wearing a fluorescent pink jacket and huge, white framed sunglasses (on a cell phone, naturally) and found it very jarring.

The exception to this, surprisingly, is at Scout camp. We are located right next to a State forest where hunting is allowed, right up to our property line. When out on the fringes of camp, I make sure to wear a red hat or jacket.

Edited by ScouterMan (10/23/11 08:35 PM)

#234269 - 10/23/11 08:54 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
remember the 70's when "rescue orange"was the color for outdoor gear. i still have a orange tent and backpack..

Edited by CANOEDOGS (10/23/11 08:55 PM)

#234273 - 10/23/11 10:16 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You really haven't had fun until you have tried to find your way back to your test equipped with a light grey fly in falling snow; or tried to locate your white Suburban in thick fog.

When cycling I can guarantee bright colors are a safety issue.

Thinking back to the 70s and "rescue orange," one of the best all time garments I had was a light down jacket that was reversible - loden green on one side and screaming bright brilliant rescue orange on the other. Choose the color to fit the situation.

Edited by hikermor (10/23/11 10:18 PM)

#234275 - 10/23/11 10:58 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: bsmith]
TimDex Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York State
I can understand why some people would not to wear colors that are hard on the eye -- however -- if you are anywhere near where there is hunting it is senseless to wear light brown colors.

I make it a point NEVER to walk in my woods this time of year without blaze orange even if no one has permission to hunt there.

This time of year there are a lot of hunters who will fire away at anything that remotely resembles a deer.

To be really blunt about it, and while I don't want to insult anyone, but if you don't wear very ugly bright colors during hunting season in the woods, you are exhibiting as much sense as the people who call 911 from the corn maze.

Sorry.

Tim

#234276 - 10/23/11 11:05 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: jshannon]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: jshannon
Reads like the hunter shot at movement in bushes without seeing what was moving? Color may do no good in the case of a dumb hunter.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. That fool needs to be brought up on charges. He intentionally fired at a non-identified target. The discharge of the firearm was not accidental. Manslaughter charges, IMO, since I really can understand the lack of malice on his part. A shame that he ruined his life as well as that Marine's.

Personally I try and walk a middle road. Typically some sort of earth tone or BDU pant, but a blue shirt or similar. Non-earth tones, but not bright orange. Usually I have a red ball cap or a BDU hat, but my backpack/daypacks are usually blue as well.

#234280 - 10/23/11 11:16 PM Re: Wearing color [Re: TimDex]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: TimDex

This time of year there are a lot of hunters who will fire away at anything that remotely resembles a deer.

To be really blunt about it, and while I don't want to insult anyone, but if you don't wear very ugly bright colors during hunting season in the woods, you are exhibiting as much sense as the people who call 911 from the corn maze.

Sorry.

Tim

No reason to apologize...The only thing I take exception to would be the use of the word 'hunters' in this context.

There are some poorly trained, inexperienced, and generally clueless individuals in the woods this time of year. They may be 'hunting' but they are not 'hunters'.

I once saw a guy come into a big box store the night before deer opener. He bought a license, an entire blaze orange outfit, and 10 boxes (thats 200 rounds) of high-powered deer rifle cartridges........ What do you suppose he planned to do with all that ammo on opening day? I only take 5 rounds with me to the deer stand. He is an example of a dangerous idiot, but not a 'hunter'.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 235 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.