Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#232323 - 09/16/11 09:44 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Pete]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Pete
But I can't see any reason for you to carry a large folding knife into Disneyland.

Respectfully, this is a decision that shouldn't be up to anyone other than the individual. I could come up with at least a dozen good reasons to carry a large folding knife at an amusement park, and while my reasons might not apply to you, they might apply to someone else. We're talking about a basic tool here, not WMD.

#232326 - 09/16/11 09:59 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Pete]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Mack ... I support personal freedom as much as the next guy. But I can't see any reason for you to carry a large folding knife into Disneyland...

As I understand you correctly, you are assuming carrying a large folding knife into Disneyland serves no purpose other than to cause a possible danger. I guess we can say that about a lot of things then. For example, the only purpose for high-performance running shoes in Disneyland would be for a person to run from security. That type of person is potentially dangerous to the kids. So, Disneyland had better prohibit high-performance running shoes. Walking shoes are sufficient for Disneyland.

As another example, Disneyland should make sure MMA fighters and similar athletes have a legitimate reason for being in the park. Their bodies are their weapons. Disneyland should only allow these athletes in the park if they can prove they are going to spend a significant amount of money. Otherwise, the risk of having their weapons in the park is unjustified.

Seriously, I have been carrying a relatively large folding knife for over twenty years. Never have I hurt anybody with my knife. Never have I thought about hurting anybody with my knife. It's a tool. It's not a bizarre tool either. I may have a need for this tool in Disneyland, as others have also pointed out above. Anyway, I should not need a reason. If carrying a knife is not outlawed by state or federal laws, then it's unnecessary for Disneyland to impose additional restrictions.

Last but not least, criminals will smuggle whatever weapons they want. Knives and other weapons are plentiful in prison, which is an environment that is way more controlled than Disneyland. Accordingly, even if Disneyland had a policy of not allowing knives, the policy would only regulate honest people and make the simple-minded people feel safer, while actually providing no additional safety whatsoever.

#232327 - 09/16/11 10:13 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Pete]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Mack ... I support personal freedom as much as the next guy. But I can't see any reason for you to carry a large folding knife into Disneyland. Disneyland is a pretty safe place - it's not like you're going to get trapped in a roller coaster for several days. You can take an exit and escape (!). Try to remember ... Disneyland is a family establishment. Think "Moms and kids" and adjust your gear to be compatible with that objective.

Knives are very compatible with families. Families cook with kitchen knives, which absolutely dwarf any "large folding knife." (A large folding knife, in my impression, has no more than a four inch blade.) Families require knives for picnics, in order to cut cheese, bread, meat, etc. I once saw children who refused to eat food that hadn't been cut to a size suitable for their little mouths. I gladly whipped out my knife, wiped it clean, and offered it to the parents. The handier members of the family like doing instant repairs (including sewing and such), and often a basic tool like the knife proves quite useful. So the safety of the location isn't terribly relevant, because the knife isn't primarily a weapon. Like most tools (hammers, screwdrivers, and such), it can be used as a weapon, though it wouldn't be as good as truly specialized weapons (swords, guns, bow & arrow). If you ban knives, you might as well ban flashlights, compasses, and thumb drives, just to take a few items I have on my keychain.

Da Bing

Edited by Bingley (09/16/11 10:15 PM)

#232331 - 09/16/11 10:55 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Somehow, I think this discussion is upside down. I would like to know why anyone would waste their time in Disneyland, with or without a knife, when they can easily visit locales where carrying a knife makes very good sense.

Within just a few hours of Dland, you have mountains, deserts, and oceans where reality beckons...

#232343 - 09/17/11 01:55 AM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Matt26]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Matt26
The only reason for using the fingerprint is that the first time you go through the turn style your print is assigned/associated with the pass that you hold, making it unique to you.
Your pass + your finger print = admission. You run your card and scan your print each time you enter the park.
This is so the passes cannot be stolen or if lost can be replaced and it also prevents you from giving over the last day of your ticket to some lucky person.

Just read KG2V entry, sorry to repeat.

Well, the only problem with this is.... The first time I went to Disney, I didn't realize that I could refuse the fingerprinting. We had a weeklong pass, and I didn't like it. So, every day, I gave the scanner a different finger. I was let in every time.

Sounds like their databases aren't that good... Now I simply refuse the fingerprinting - no problem.

#232351 - 09/17/11 10:05 AM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: ireckon]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
[quote=Last but not least, criminals will smuggle whatever weapons they want. .............. Accordingly, even if Disneyland had a policy of not allowing knives, the policy would only regulate honest people and make the simple-minded people feel safer, while actually providing no additional safety whatsoever. [/quote]

Great quote, and it sums up the fatal flaw in all knife and gun control laws. Politicians continue to buy votes from the 'antis' and the only person who is actually safer is the violent criminal.

#232352 - 09/17/11 10:06 AM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Somehow, I think this discussion is upside down. I would like to know why anyone would waste their time in Disneyland, with or without a knife, when they can easily visit locales where carrying a knife makes very good sense.

Within just a few hours of Dland, you have mountains, deserts, and oceans where reality beckons...

Where's the 'like' button?

#232358 - 09/17/11 08:53 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I think Byrd Hunter is onto the right philosophy.
Disneyland is really expensive these days, and can be super-crowded. It's not exactly my favorite place to relax.

Pete2

#232371 - 09/18/11 01:15 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Now, now. It is expensive and there are lots of more natural activities we could do with our family but kids are sucked in by Disney. I AM, sucked in by D-Land. Even outsdoorsy types need a fantasy day. Yours might be a trip back to your college for a big season football game, for others it might be antiquing or taking a weekend trip to Vegas. All of those outings can be or are just as expensive as a family 3 day to D-Land.

Plus, after almost 2 years of working urban map & compass with my son, when I gave him the D-Land map on Day 2, it all totally clicked in perfectly for him and he led us for an entire day. So its not a total waste of skill training.

#232372 - 09/18/11 01:23 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: comms]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've never been to Disneyland or Disney World . . just never felt any desire to go.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.