The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#231419 - 09/05/11 04:29 AM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mark_M]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Yes, like any self-respecting terrorist wouldn't have a decent ID.

Sue

#231423 - 09/05/11 11:43 AM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mark_M]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

It's been on the news in Fla for awhile Mark, I think (but don't quote me on it) that Disney is using it to cut down on the scalping of tickets being sold. There are a lot of these stands that sell tickets to Disney that are nothing more than used tickets from guests who do not stay the full length of there tickets. If you buy say a 4 day pass and stay 3 days and sell your ticket to one of these places for a small fee, then they turn around and sell it to me (lets say) as I am visiting. Then I go to the park on a used ticket and when they ask for a id or fingerprint (your choice) and it doesn't match the original purchaser, they assume it was stolen or scalped. That is my understanding according to one of our news station. Correct me if I am wrong.

#231437 - 09/05/11 03:30 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mark_M]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
What is the point of reading fingerprints when visiting an amusement park, or for that matter, any ID whatsoever? It's been several years since I went, but the only time ID was an issue was for a Disney cruise, where passports were required due to a stop in the Bahamas.

As long as you've got cash or valid plastic, I see no valid reason for an amusement park to demand any kind of ID.

It's because of their parkhopper pass - they REALLY don't care WHO you are, just that "person with fingerprint that reads on OUR scanner as #123456 who bought pass #12" is still the same person trying to use pass #12 later that afternoon at another park
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#231438 - 09/05/11 03:32 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: falcon5000]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Originally Posted By: falcon5000
It's been on the news in Fla for awhile Mark, I think (but don't quote me on it) that Disney is using it to cut down on the scalping of tickets being sold. There are a lot of these stands that sell tickets to Disney that are nothing more than used tickets from guests who do not stay the full length of there tickets. If you buy say a 4 day pass and stay 3 days and sell your ticket to one of these places for a small fee, then they turn around and sell it to me (lets say) as I am visiting. Then I go to the park on a used ticket and when they ask for a id or fingerprint (your choice) and it doesn't match the original purchaser, they assume it was stolen or scalped. That is my understanding according to one of our news station. Correct me if I am wrong.

Nope, you're right. As I said, I worked for a company owned by the mouse, and actually met folks involved with the fingerprint scan - the database is purged (or was) when your ticket expires - pure ticket scalping issue

#231446 - 09/05/11 05:20 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mark_M]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
The only reason for using the fingerprint is that the first time you go through the turn style your print is assigned/associated with the pass that you hold, making it unique to you.
Your pass + your finger print = admission. You run your card and scan your print each time you enter the park.
This is so the passes cannot be stolen or if lost can be replaced and it also prevents you from giving over the last day of your ticket to some lucky person.

Just read KG2V entry, sorry to repeat.

Edited by Matt26 (09/05/11 05:21 PM)

#231462 - 09/05/11 09:12 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Hey Matt,
No problem.

#231474 - 09/06/11 01:40 AM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Who Knows, you may have to help cut a distressed Micky Out of his Costume when the zipper gets stuck.

Edited by Frisket (09/06/11 01:41 AM)

#231475 - 09/06/11 01:53 AM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I've carried different knives into Disney World for years without even a comment. Just be low-key about it and you're likely to never even hear a peep from them. I've seen other guys walk right in with obvious large folders visibly clipped on their jeans pockets, but I at least drop mine down inside my pocket or inside my waistband. I get a lot of use out of a small Swiss Army knife throughout my Disney trips, especially the scissors.

About the fingerprint thing: I believe you can decline to have your finger scanned and present photo ID instead. If you ask nicely you might not even have to present ID.

Disney cast members are usually pretty accommodating and will bend rules for you if you ask nicely and look like you're just there having fun with your family (and spending money).

#232301 - 09/16/11 04:36 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Mack ... I support personal freedom as much as the next guy. But I can't see any reason for you to carry a large folding knife into Disneyland. Disneyland is a pretty safe place - it's not like you're going to get trapped in a roller coaster for several days. You can take an exit and escape (!). Try to remember ... Disneyland is a family establishment. Think "Moms and kids" and adjust your gear to be compatible with that objective.

It is possible that when they search you - on entering the park - that they might object to a knife with a large blade. I don't know exactly what that policy is - but why test it?? If there is a problem, I'm guessing that they would either ask you to store the knife in your car in the parking lot, or alternatively place it in some sort of secure storage and pick it up when you left Disneyland. Either option is good ... I can't imagine a need for a large folder in that environment. In the event of a major emergency inside Disneyland, the place is FILLED with items that you could use to improvise survival techniques for just about contingency. Seriously.

Some amusement parks actually sell knives. Knottsberry Farm definitely has a vendor inside their park that sells knives and long-bladed weapons. The assumption, of course, is that you would pack up the item and take it home. Not all the parks are paranoid about this gear.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (09/16/11 04:40 PM)

#232316 - 09/16/11 08:22 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Pete]
Eugene Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Pete
Mack ... I support personal freedom as much as the next guy. But I can't see any reason for you to carry a large folding knife into Disneyland.

The mayors of NY and Boston agree with you.

Hopefully that wasn't too political but its quite an easy step from "no reason for anyone to need a gun/knife" to ban a gun/knife.

I haven't needed my leatherman, my fire extinguisher, my PSK, my BOB, my air bag, etc but I still have them.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.