Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#234141 - 10/21/11 03:17 PM Re: Beginners tip - The $1 first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Please produce the evidence for this. I've no opinion since obviously we don't have dollar stores. But in the UK our equivalent would be 'Pound stores' or '99p stores'. Not once have I ever heard of toxic goods in them.
qjs

>Just make sure the $1 store stuff you intend to ingest is made somewhere other than China,Also don't feed your dog anything made in China,you have to remember those people eat Everything,so anything discarded from there,Can't be Good!Ibuprofen could possibly be compressed drywall,pepto bis pills-possibly drywall w/watered down red paint! Using cheap crap for a kit of any kind,Will still be cheap crap when you need it most!Beginners Tip-Start with Quality,End with Quality!I would rather have my wits & empty pockets than Full pockets of crapola!>

#234142 - 10/21/11 03:23 PM Re: Beginners tip - The $1 first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Interesting points -- Yes Its not a trauma kit. Its not comprehensive. BUT

Its a start, For $3 I can have some tools available. (or my kid in school, or travel bag, etc.) I have a $60 first aid kit...But most people don't. As a teacher, when I want people change their behavior, small step are easier.

This thread is for beginners who need simple ideas...and solutions that don't break the bank.

Start, then perfect. Not the other way 'round.

#234146 - 10/21/11 03:52 PM Re: Beginners tip - The $1 first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
This is $19.98 at my local Sam's club.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=196928&navAction=push

This offers the best bang for the buck for a complete kit I have seen. I use this kit often. It's not perfect but at $19.98, I am not complaining.

I'm not associated with Sam's Club or T.R.I. I just like their kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

#234150 - 10/21/11 04:42 PM Re: Beginners tip - The $1 first aid kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I like that SAM'S CLUB kit! Thanks for pointing it out Jeanette. I think I'll buy two of those, one for each of my kids (now young adults living away from home).

#234175 - 10/22/11 03:47 AM Re: Beginners tip - The $1 first aid kit [Re: Susan]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
As I write this,I have an empty can of Armour-Vienna sausages I just ate in front of me,So Hold your horses there,Maxine! They were made in Cherryhill,NJ 08003-3620,I purchased them at the 99 cents only store.I don't see any posts that claim to dis-spell shopping there or anywhere for that matter!I also don't see anything regarding wealth/poverty or toxic anything,Sherlock,lol!As for cheap bandages,I use Duct tape & Gauze more often than not,I'm also drinking a water bottle that was bottled at Niagara Bottling LLC,Same place the $1 stores bottled water came from except mine was bought at Costco from Kirkland,WA 98124 I did see a post telling about" Most of that stuff is Junk",of which is Absolutely Correct!I posted about Ingestable Chinese products,Read where things are made,it just may save a person Alot of Grief!Quality in fact can be cheap,& very affordable,ie... The Doug Ritter PSK,Still the most Bang for your Buck! I have no affiliation with the above products/company's,but I did stay at a Motel 6 once! wink

#234190 - 10/22/11 01:33 PM Re: Beginners tip - The $1 first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Hello, All,

I have bought some items at the dollar store- notably duct tape, some tools and non-perishable (& common branded) foodstuffs. Do I expect L.L. Bean quality? No, but those items have held up. Caveat emptor. Research & test.
WalMart has several great items for $1- the Outdoor Gear folding lockblade with partially serrated blade (its EDC & work for me) and the Day-Glo Coleman match safe. I have used the knife to throw sparks off the mini ferro rod on the safe. Yes, the blade is stainless, but it worked.
The Sam's Club kit looks pretty good. I purchased one from Cheaper Than Dirt and built my own (former Army medic). After EMT education & certification, my FAK will be significantly larger & complex.
Anyway, with a minimum of expenditure, you can buy a few bits at a time and check them out. I'm dirt poor (8.25/hr.) and get deals where I can. Of course, I'm saving for a Kabar and have paid good money for quality items, but I research & save.
Have a great weekend!

Finn

#234193 - 10/22/11 01:58 PM Re: Beginners tip - The $1 first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
The theme seems to be, put together a kit for cheap that if you lost it you wouldn't be out a lot of money.

Just had a decent minimal kit stolen from my truck, in my driveway. I'm more mad the knife in it I'd had since the mid 80s.

The new kit will come from the dollar store, more or less. Rather than losing a $12 space pen, lose a $1 for a pack pencil.

Live and learn.

Figure the dollar store stuff is daily quicky use.

#234204 - 10/22/11 06:11 PM Re: Beginners tip - The $1 first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I've mentioned her videos before, but "The Patriot Nurse" on YouTube has recommendations to equip a pretty comprehensive home kit...it is in the $50 range, and addresses upper respiratory, diarrhea, and skin integrity problems

also recommend "USNERDOC" series on YouTube

#234394 - 10/25/11 05:16 AM Re: Beginners tip - The $1 first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Get a dollar store FAK. Has 42 items! (mostly band-aids and alcohol wipes) in a handy plastic case. Add a $1 imitation pepto tabs and a bottle of $1 ibuprofen and you're set.

Recently I bought a couple of (similar?) kits from a local store. They had the basics for my kids, and came in a very nice little plastic case - with room to add some extras.

Its certainly not a fully comprehensive kit by any means, but its a great way to start a kit, and its far better than nothing !

Everything in the kit is well within anyone's ability to use - selected bandaids, small bandages, wipes, tweasers etc. It can't cause any harm and gives the kids some more independence and responsability - ie having their own FAK

#234444 - 10/25/11 10:03 PM Re: Beginners tip - The $1 first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I think one advantage of starting with any kind of emergency kit (even a very cheap one) is that it may get the owner to thinking what else could go into it whenever they see it.

"Hey, I could put that multi-tool Dad gave me in there! And a pair of gloves. And a woolly hat for winter..."

Sue

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.