Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#234000 - 10/19/11 07:28 PM Re: Most Reliable Communication Means, Emergency [Re: ireckon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had a two way pager through work, it would eat an Alkaline battery a week. I took one of my old NiMH's from 1999 (1650mAH) and it would go two weeks. They replaced the pagers with blackberry's a couple years ago because the blackberry service was the same cost and we can get our e-mail and calendar and such as well.

Does anyone remember a few years ago when one of the communication satellites used for pagers went out of orbit and a bunch of doctor's lost service, it was big news then.

#234004 - 10/19/11 07:47 PM Re: Most Reliable Communication Means, Emergency [Re: Mark_R]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Drinking warm beer on Hadrian's wall? whistle

If you want to go back in time (at least 30 years) to have a warm pint then Sinatras in Dundee is the place to go.

If you want to feel really old then the Social is the place to go... wink

#234071 - 10/20/11 05:45 PM Re: Most Reliable Communication Means, Emergency [Re: ireckon]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
What ever happened to ham radio? I used to use it...don't even own any gear now...would love a pure digital pager/sms like network for robust short comms.

#234080 - 10/20/11 07:25 PM Re: Most Reliable Communication Means, Emergency [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
What ever happened to ham radio? I used to use it...don't even own any gear now...would love a pure digital pager/sms like network for robust short comms.

Way too expensive for me to buy "just to have," but the Motorola DTR series seems like it can provide pretty secure, robust, digital voice and SMS for point-to-point comms (if that's how you're defining "short comms").

Tri-square also makes some ISM band two-way radios, but I hear they're junk.

Since the OP is talking about the 9/11 Commission results, didn't they also recommend that we establish a civilian Signal Corps ASAP made up of Amateur Radio folks? Hmmm, another decent suggestion gone by the wayside.

Edited by Arney (10/20/11 09:48 PM)

#234154 - 10/21/11 05:04 PM Re: Most Reliable Communication Means, Emergency [Re: ireckon]
sotto Offline
Addict

For some reason, I'm having a problem in the "reliable" department right now, and it's a good lesson/reminder for all you folks interested in Emergency Comms.

I acquired 3 brand-new and name-brand FM transceivers in the last year to use specifically for emergency SHTF communications. They have been used very little, and the batteries have been judiciously and sensibly kept charged. 99% of the time, they sit handily on a table in my den turned off and ready to be grabbed at a moment's notice.

First one of them, and then another of a different manufacture, failed to receive at all. They transmit fine, but won't receive anything. Within a few days of their inexplicably crapping out, they had both been checked and found to be functioning perfectly.

So, a reminder of a couple lessons:

1. Two is one, and one is none.
2. And just because it's working perfectly today, doesn't mean it will work worth poo tomorrow.

#234158 - 10/21/11 05:34 PM Re: Most Reliable Communication Means, Emergency [Re: sotto]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: sotto
For some reason, I'm having a problem in the "reliable" department right now...just because it's working perfectly today, doesn't mean it will work worth poo tomorrow...

"I was just thinking the same thing," says the old codger, as he mixes up a glass of Metamucil... wink

#234166 - 10/21/11 08:23 PM Re: Most Reliable Communication Means, Emergency [Re: ireckon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Did a test a week or so ago myself, my handheld CB could no longer get a signal past the next street so no chance of getting the .5 mile to my work. I need to figure out if I just got the antenna mixed up with my scanner or if the transmit is bad.

#234170 - 10/21/11 09:22 PM Re: Most Reliable Communication Means, Emergency [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

Take a look at PSK31. With the right antenna you can easily get over 1000 miles of DX with five watts on a battery pack.

#234181 - 10/22/11 04:15 AM Re: Most Reliable Communication Means, Emergency [Re: ireckon]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
SW sounds good at first,i have a old Hallicrafters that i use to listen in with,but i could see the waves so jammed up in a real nation wide emergency that you would never be able to get thru unless you had a huge rig and kept at it day and night.for local stuff like a earth quake or storm SW could be useful.it takes skill to use SW,you can't just turn it on and start shouting "CQ__CQ!!!..and who knows the quality of the info you might pick up...

#234184 - 10/22/11 04:54 AM Re: Most Reliable Communication Means, Emergency [Re: ireckon]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
The hams are still here, and there were some rave articles RE Joplin etc

If you're a pager user in the Baltimore to Boston area, the odds are pretty good I know the guy who owns your pager company/parger site. He's hoping it lasts long enough for him to retire - He is shutting down sites all the time, the main users left are, believe it or not, hospitals

Last time I saw him, he was talking about his shutting of a site in Northeast NJ. He said "It just didn't pay anymore" - basically he had a situation where he had ONE subscriber in the covered area, almost NO transients. The MD in question wasn't happy he was losing service, but the why my friend explained it to him "Tower and radio rack rent for the antenna that cover your home cost me in the 4 figures/month, I charge you, what 20-30/month (or whatever it is - I didn't get the exact amounts) - I can't afford to keep the tower up for just you
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.