The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#234243 - 10/23/11 05:22 AM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Pete..i got the best frozen corn,not the store brand,and "parched" it in a dry fry pan---no oil--until it had a semi brown look.not burned.i kept the corn moving around in the pan with a fork and then cooled it on a plate.the corn is now hard as a rock!..to grind it i put it thru a electric coffee grinder.when i did the post some years ago someone came back with parched corn as a snack that could be bought at his local stores.i forget where.the trick is how you eat it.taken dry and then washed down with cold water it swells in the stomach to give you a full feeling.1900's testing showed it to be high in everything needed to make it a single main food item..

#235580 - 11/12/11 01:34 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
gimpy Offline

Loc: PNW
Seriously, folks, I don't think your grain and your legume (beans, lentils)need to be mixed together in the same 'dish' for proper nutrition. If they are eaten at the same meal or even the next meal or the next day is ok-the combined items for the complete protein need to be in ones DIET.
For those who might care, quinoa is a seed, but is not a true grain-not being from the grass family. That is likely why it breaks rank and provides nutrition the other grains do not.

gimpy

#235590 - 11/12/11 09:16 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Our powdered goods are limited to flour, milk, cocao, potatoes, pancake mix, pudding, jello, cake mix, biscuit mix, soup, gravy mixes and boullion.

We're tried a few brands of powdered eggs, with no requests for repeat yet.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235591 - 11/12/11 11:43 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
... specific brand of powdered egg mix that I believe is only in Canada. It's called "Nutriom OvaEasy."

Their website indicates they are a U.S. company, doing sales in the U.S. and Canada. I see that MEC carries them, which is a good sign (MEC doesn't sell cr@p). You should be able to get them.

I'd offer to test them, but I confess I'm a total egg snob. I get mine from a farm family I've known all my life. Brown eggs, from happy chickens. They apologize when the yolks are too dark; I keep telling them they should be charging a big fat premium for those. The flavour is just magnificent ... !

#235593 - 11/13/11 12:09 AM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

I'd offer to test them, but I confess I'm a total egg snob. I get mine from a farm family I've known all my life. Brown eggs, from happy chickens. They apologize when the yolks are too dark; I keep telling them they should be charging a big fat premium for those. The flavour is just magnificent ... !

IMHO, eating local is one of the best things we can do for the earth and the economy. Sometimes it's a little more expensive but it always seems to taste more yummy! Besides, Farmer Fred down the road is a more likely dource of food if things go seriously south.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235627 - 11/14/11 04:45 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i know this is more "camping" than "survival" but i take Wakefield brand egg mix. it has egg with dry milk,oil and salt added in the pack. and it's just fine on long canoe trips.i have it ever other day for breakfast,pancakes on the others.it seems to be made for people without refrigeration and just not the outdoor gang.
the trick is not to make it just as scrambled egg but add too it.
i found just egg leaves you hungry after awhile so i add Minute Rice as a carbo filler along with sun dried tomato and freeze dried onion for taste.a pack of bacon chips adds the "grease factor".half a pack a person is more than enough.i would think that a box of this put away would work for those times when you are without power for a long time or bailed out someplace.

now i know thats not the rat jerky and greens that pure survival guys would be into but with a family waiting for the power to go back on or once a week waiting for the roads to be cleared so you could get back home a meal like that would make things just a bit more tolerable

Edited by CANOEDOGS (11/14/11 04:48 PM)

#235696 - 11/16/11 03:01 AM Re: Powdered food? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i know this is more "camping" than "survival" but i take Wakefield brand egg mix. it has egg with dry milk,oil and salt added in the pack. and it's just fine on long canoe trips.i have it ever other day for breakfast,pancakes on the others.it seems to be made for people without refrigeration and just not the outdoor gang.
the trick is not to make it just as scrambled egg but add too it.
i found just egg leaves you hungry after awhile so i add Minute Rice as a carbo filler along with sun dried tomato and freeze dried onion for taste.a pack of bacon chips adds the "grease factor".half a pack a person is more than enough.i would think that a box of this put away would work for those times when you are without power for a long time or bailed out someplace.

Hmmm. That actually looks pretty good!

#235697 - 11/16/11 03:11 AM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Gotta love canoeists -- they serve up chow that's actually edible. Unlike my usual backpacking swill.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.