Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#233619 - 10/13/11 07:21 AM Powdered food?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
You can store food in many ways, but dried and powdered food may be the lightest and most compact. You can buy some powdered food commercially, but I have not found a very wide selection. You can dehydrate and powder a wide variety of food, but have you done that? What powdered foods have you used and found acceptable? What role have you given to powdered food in your preparedness?

#233627 - 10/13/11 11:58 AM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
my initial venture (this year) into long term food storage, was with the less expensive bulk staples...many were less than $1 per pound

rice
pinto and white beans
pasta
cocoa mix
salt
tea
instant mashed potatoes
pop corn
boullion cubes
dried spices

I plan on adding some higher cost, or more protein in the near future

honey
powdered milk
powdered eggs
possibly some TVP

I hope to get some through LDS's Provident Living outreach... already canned

Edited by LesSnyder (10/13/11 11:59 AM)

#233646 - 10/13/11 03:41 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: LesSnyder]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
How about:

Oatmeal (any unflavored type)

Dried Fruit, e.g. raisins, prunes, bananas, etc. (keeps a long time, but not forever)

Buckwheat groats (aka "Kasha"); mostly found in stores specializing in Eastern Europe foods -- it is a grain like rice, cooked in the same way. Was a staple food for most of our ancestors in Eastern Europe). It used to be a major crop in the U.S. also.

Flour and Corn meal.

Just some suggestions to add to the list.

#233659 - 10/13/11 05:40 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Powdered food is generally bland and energy-intensive to produce. If you want to eat something the consistency of toothpaste for a weekend hike, go ahead, but I'll bet the thrill wears off really soon.

Sue

#233677 - 10/13/11 06:52 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
My family and I really like Shelf Reliance's dehydrated and freeze-dried foods. While we did have some issues with them getting our order right at first, the food itself is very good. I whip up awesome omelets for the family while camping using their powdered eggs, dehydrated sausage crumbles, and freeze-dried peppers & onions. Their prices may seem high but the food tastes surprisingly fresh. DW and the DDs love snacking on the dried fruit ad adding it to their breakfast cereal...though I wish they'd save it for emergencies. mad

-Blast

Edited by Blast (10/13/11 06:54 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#233686 - 10/13/11 07:12 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: NightHiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
... why make a bad situation worse by having to endure nasty food?

Nasty or unfamiliar food in an already-stressful situation will just make things worse. Store what you normally eat, or at least have taste-tested.

If there is a time for comfortingly familiar food, this is it.

Sue

#233698 - 10/13/11 09:04 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
So, now is the time to experiment!

A recent cheese-making class suprised me by relying on powdered milk. The cheese made from powdered milk was, of course, fresh -and tasted little different from that made from fresh milk.

The instructors said it was the same with making butter.

In an earlier class on dehdrating food, the instructors showed us a half-pint jar containing over 40 tomatoes. They used the powdered tomato, hot water, and other dehydrated and powdered vegetables, herbs, and spices to make a tasty soup.

I seem to recall that in the fictional story called something like, "The Long Way Home," the hero ate powdered beans, corn, and rice as the most compact and lightweight rations. I think I would have added onion, garlic, carrot, spices, etcetera.

#233699 - 10/13/11 09:33 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Are you an Astronaut?You will be better prepped for whatever fears you have by eating Real food,you can't get around it!Just curious? Travel to a 3rd world country,Your choice,& observe what the poor folks there are eating,I'll bet they don't have a clue to,What powdered food is!That should be food for thought!

#233707 - 10/13/11 10:42 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: Richlacal]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Add tapioca to the list - easy to prepare, nutritious, and tastes good. I don't think you're necessarily wrong to store away dehydrated foods and powdered foods - you just want to add a few extra flavoring substances as well. Do you like spices - then add a few things like paprika, chili, jalapeno etc. so your re-constituted food doesn't taste so bad.

cheers,
Pete2

#233708 - 10/13/11 10:45 PM Re: Powdered food? [Re: dweste]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Powdered wheat grains are very handy for food preparedness especially if you have powdered dried yeast and powdered Bicarbonate of Soda.

Long term availability of bakery bread and cake products can be quite difficult to obtain during an extended emergency.

I personally like the baking products from a company called Wrights in the UK. Bread and cake mixes are available in quite large bulk purchases of 12Kg (for domestic use) Packs at a reasonable price.

http://www.wrightsflour.co.uk/shop_sub.aspx?productcategoryid=1

http://www.wrightsflour.co.uk/shop_sub.aspx?productcategoryid=2

Other powdered foods I have include powdered milk (Milbona), Malt drink (Ovaltine), Cocoa powder, Bisto gravy powder, Powdered Soups, Potato (Smash) etc.

In the UK finding powdered eggs is quite difficult at local supermarkets but I would only use powdered eggs for baking anyway and these are catered for using the Wrights baking mixes.

Vacuum sealing the powdered products can effectively double the shelf life. Powdered products are also very energy dense for minimum storage space.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/13/11 10:50 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.