Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#233672 - 10/13/11 06:38 PM Re: Couple lost in corn maze calls 911 [Re: Frisket]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Every Corn Maze I have been too have "Lifeguards" that watch above the corn for people in distress. Not to mention they almost always have had PVC Poles with flags that you can raise above the corn incase you give up.

You must live in a protective place. I've never seen any of that at any corn maze around here.

Quote:
Not to mention what farm would allow people with a infant into a freaking corn maze.

??? What farm WOULDN'T let a family into the maze? You must live in a REALLY protective place.

#233675 - 10/13/11 06:41 PM Re: Couple lost in corn maze calls 911 [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Many people seem to think that the money of OTHER people is in endless supply, but they want to keep their own.

Yes, and they've been in the news a lot recently...
whistle
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#233682 - 10/13/11 07:06 PM Re: Couple lost in corn maze calls 911 [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Yes, and they've been in the news a lot recently...

Yes, indeedy!

Sue

#233691 - 10/13/11 07:48 PM Re: Couple lost in corn maze calls 911 [Re: Susan]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Susan
It's NOT just me! WHOO-HOO!

Quote:
... an exhaustive effort that took no lives but cost about $16,000, a painful dent in the Pitkin County sheriff's meager rescue budget... When the Aspen Seven began talking with Hollywood, things really got ugly.

......... The Aspen Seven could probably have afforded to pay for their entire rescue, but thought it should be free.

Sue
Yes, as I pointed out in another thread, the occasional expensive high profile search gets a lot of play in the media. And even in the present economy, Aspen isn't exactly an impoverished area. In any case, the fact remains that over all, SAR is mostly done by volunteers. Quoting from the the article at http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/TrooperTimes/ArchiveStories/12.18.07%20Avalanche%20Training.pdf

Alaska State Troopers rely heavily upon these
volunteer search and rescue organizations. By state
statue, the Department of Public Safety is responsible
for overseeing search and rescue operations within
the state. Sometimes that responsibility is shared with
the U.S. Coast Guard or the Air National Guard’s
Rescue Coordination Center. Seventy to 75 percent
of all SAR operations are done by volunteers on
behalf of the DPS and the Alaska State Troopers.
“Without the search and rescue volunteers, the
Alaska State Troopers would be extremely limited on
our ability to do search and rescues across Alaska,”

And

As of 2007, there are 45 volunteer search groups
throughout Alaska...............................
In 2006,volunteer search teams contributed to
more than 13,500 hours of actual search time. This
does not include time volunteers spend training

(Emphasis mine.) By the way, I was one of the volunteers at that training event. I just didn't get my picture in the article. frown

Just in King County, in your state of WA, you have eight different volunteer units providng SAR support to King County Sheriff. See http://kcsara.org/units/ for more info. Why don't you consider joining one of those groups? You will learn some valuable skills, and get to hang out with a good bunch of people.

#233692 - 10/13/11 07:56 PM Re: Couple lost in corn maze calls 911 [Re: AKSAR]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Quote:
Why don't you consider joining one of those groups?

Nice idea, but my job is on-call 24/7, with as little as 5-30 minutes notice to hit the road.

Yes, it IS pathetic, isn't it? But in a 15% (some say twice that) unemployment area, I'm lucky to have it.

And AKSAR, thank you for the work you do and the people you help, whether they're idiots or not.

Sue

#233697 - 10/13/11 09:03 PM Re: Couple lost in corn maze calls 911 [Re: bws48]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: bws48
Maze solution:

Put your left hand on the wall to your left. Keep your hand on the wall and walk, following the left wall. Eventually you will come to the exit.

Exactly!!

#233783 - 10/15/11 02:21 PM Re: Couple lost in corn maze calls 911 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I never considered stalks of corn to be much of a barrier. I was in the car driving back from a service call and had on some talk show and they played the 911 call.

I am astounded that a fully grown adult male would let his wife make such a call. You could just yell and get help.

Bob

#233788 - 10/15/11 08:52 PM Re: Couple lost in corn maze calls 911 [Re: ILBob]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Quote:
I am astounded that a fully grown adult male would let his wife make such a call.

Maybe it wasn't a matter of 'let'. Maybe he handed her the phone and took the baby, and said, "Call 911, I'm scared". laugh

After some of these baby-guy rail crews... Crews complained that the drivers were turning on/off the car flashers (required in RR yards) without coming to a full stop. They also complained that they were getting hurt while getting in and out of the cars themselves. They also complained that they couldn't open the lift-up back luggage door without hurting themselves. But they let them operate 19,000-ton trains with four or five locomotives!

Sue

#233970 - 10/19/11 06:14 AM Re: Couple lost in corn maze calls 911 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Why would a couple bring a 3 week old baby into a outdoor maza? Then complained "mosquitoes are eating us alive".

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein quotes

#233983 - 10/19/11 04:49 PM Re: Couple lost in corn maze calls 911 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is the general public unfamiliar with the 'left wall' theory of mazes?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.