Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#234095 - 10/20/11 10:36 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Where i come from, bullet proof vests are used to stop rounds aimed intentionally at one's center of mass; hopefully, the rating of the vest will exceed the strength of the round employed.

i believe in most departments these days, bullet proof vests are worn routinely when on patrol.

They don't always work. Just before I retired, I donated two weeks leave to the widow of a ranger who caught an AK-47 round that sneaked in between the seams of his vest.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that the soft vests won't stop that round. Even the ceramic plates have gaps where the plates don't overlap, not to mention they can fail w/ repeated hits.

#234112 - 10/21/11 12:34 AM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I'm not sure, but I'll bet he had plates. This was on the border at organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. But yes, vests aren't perfect....

#234114 - 10/21/11 12:44 AM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: hikermor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I'm not sure, but I'll bet he had plates.

Sigh, it's a sad state of affairs when a park ranger has to gear up as if he's on patrol in Afghanistan. RIP

Smugglers, pot grows, meth labs in our national parks? Crazy.

#234167 - 10/21/11 08:48 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Almost no vests will stop a major caliber rifle round.

#234473 - 10/26/11 04:13 AM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
TAB Offline

Loc: The Redwood Forest
If you anticipate getting shot in the torso, then yes, wear one. If not, then no, do not wear one. crazy

If your are still unsure... then place a % to the likelihood that you will be shot at and ask yourself whether or not that is an acceptable risk.

#234542 - 10/26/11 09:54 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
Pete Offline
Veteran

My $0.02

Following up on what CJK said ... you can buy soft armor ballistic pads online. I've got a couple that are about 12 inches square. They're not cheap, but they're also not as expensive as a full armored vest. Just get a couple of the pads and use them to line your backpack. It's unobtrusive. In the event of a hold-up in a disaster zone, you've got some minimal protection if the robber does shoot you with a handgun. Of course, you've got to be able to use your backpack as a shield - if you don't get it off in time - you're dead anyway. With the ballistic pads and the backpack material - it might work against most handgun bullets.

As several people have pointed out - this won't stop a rifle bullet. Use common sense ... which is always the best protection.

Pete2

#234592 - 10/27/11 04:28 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: hikermor]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Where i come from, bullet proof vests are used to stop rounds aimed intentionally at one's center of mass; hopefully, the rating of the vest will exceed the strength of the round employed.

Wearing a bullet proof vests, DOES NOT mean you can stand still and be a target for someone shoot you with a gun. I would still dive for the nearest cover when shooting starts.

Edited by firefly99 (10/27/11 04:43 PM)

#234595 - 10/27/11 05:35 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: Pete]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Pete
My $0.02

Following up on what CJK said ... you can buy soft armor ballistic pads online. I've got a couple that are about 12 inches square. They're not cheap, but they're also not as expensive as a full armored vest. Just get a couple of the pads and use them to line your backpack. It's unobtrusive. In the event of a hold-up in a disaster zone, you've got some minimal protection if the robber does shoot you with a handgun. Of course, you've got to be able to use your backpack as a shield - if you don't get it off in time - you're dead anyway. With the ballistic pads and the backpack material - it might work against most handgun bullets.

As several people have pointed out - this won't stop a rifle bullet. Use common sense ... which is always the best protection.

Pete2
How much do those two pads weigh?

HJ

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.