The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#233655 - 10/13/11 05:02 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
They're pretty expensive, and if you needed one, you would probably have it by now.

Sue

#233656 - 10/13/11 05:07 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In most plans, no. Far too heavy/ expensive to be useful. What are the real odds of a given scenario occurring in your life? Reality, not sexy events. I use a ten year model -- if it happens every decade or more, plan and prepare** If not then don't worry.

( **Likely events
Power/ water outage
storms
hot and cold spells
car breakdown
lost dog)

#233660 - 10/13/11 05:42 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Unless you live in an area prone to riots, or have trigger happy enemies, it's kinda a waste of space. OK, I'll will admit it's kinda cool in a Walter Mitte'esque way, but I'm not buying one. It's like that old punchline about self defense arguments (That's all good and fine, but what are you doing in a dark alley at 2:00 in the morning?)

Personally, I'd take the $500 dollars that a vest would cost and buy a reliable three season tent, sleeping bag, and lots of instant rice.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#233683 - 10/13/11 07:07 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: dweste
Should we include a bullet-proof vest, or equivalent, in preparedness gear?

They are in a class of things that you hope you never need. Life insurance, PLB’s, defensive firearms, pepper spray and Kevlar fit that bill. They are invaluable if you do. If you never need it you are happy. Most police departments in the US list them as mandatory. A hospital can usually save you if you are not shot in the head, neck or torso.

In extreme weather like golf ball sized hail, a Kevlar helmet and a military vest allowed me to get the stock in.

I have put mine on twice for other reasons. No shots were fired. I am still happy I had it on.

I have sold many of these over the years.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#233919 - 10/18/11 05:10 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I leave people to sort out 'their' legal issues.... I only offer this from a practical standpoint... Look up bulletproof backpack on the web. I remember a number of suppliers that offered them a number of years ago. They were being offered when there had been a number of 'public' shootings and some people were talking about cover and concealment for 'kids' in particular. Something a 'kid' could hide behind. I'm not sure of the legal standing of owning one as a 'civilian'. But I do know that they do look 'normal' and would provide what looks like a decent amount of protection.

#233920 - 10/18/11 05:36 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
LED Offline
Veteran

I'm pretty sure you could puchase used body armor for cheap. From what I understand they do have a shelf life though. 5 years maybe? Someone with more knowledge can correct me on this.

#233921 - 10/18/11 06:07 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: LED]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: LED
I'm pretty sure you could puchase used body armor for cheap. From what I understand they do have a shelf life though. 5 years maybe? Someone with more knowledge can correct me on this.

It depends on the material and the manufacturer, but I'm told most are around 5 years.

#233922 - 10/18/11 06:14 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: LED]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: LED
I'm pretty sure you could puchase used body armor for cheap.

Moisture, like sweat, and UV degrade Kevlar and most other high tech ballistic fabric, I believe. Ceramic SAPI plates probably hold up well over time, as long as they aren't abused. I don't think I would trust the Kevlar in used body armor if I had a choice. You just don't know much strength might have been lost. Unlike a used car, you can't take body armor for a test drive before you buy.

Of course, something is better than nothing, but degraded Kevlar might be worse than nothing if it gives you a false senes of security that increases your chance of getting shot.

#233925 - 10/18/11 06:43 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Recently there has been a trend to move to more powerful calibers (5.56 NATO standard round being out gunned and out ranged by 100 year old Enfield .303) so even Level III protection is getting past its sell by date. i.e. .338 Magnum Laupa will zip through 30+lb ceramic plated vests @1000 metres.

Trading immobility for dubious protection has to be a very specific scenario question. Good camouflage is very lightweight by comparison. Not being around when the shooting starts is even better, hence the SAS moto, 'Run away, run away, live to fight another day' whistle 30lbs of ceramic plated vest isn't conducive to running away very quickly.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/18/11 06:46 PM)

#233927 - 10/18/11 07:05 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I have no plans to get a bullet-proof vest or equivalent.

I'm having a hard time imagining deploying a bullet-proof vest for self-defense. More specifically, I don't know of any public shooting incident where a victim could have successfully deployed their bullet-proof vest, unless the victim was either (1) wearing the vest already or (2) informed of the attack beforehand. Option 1 is not viable for me personally. For Option 2, I can spend my energy on not being there. Either way, I'd prefer to have the mobility instead of the vest.

I imagine the most likely scenario for successfully using a vest is in a home invasion. Even then, it's hard to imagine me putting on a vest every time I hear a bump in the night. I need to concentrate on many other things, like figuring out what exactly is happening, keeping my kid safe, identifying the intruder, calling the cops, recording the incident, making sure my gun is loaded, being quiet in order to hear, etc. Further, at home, I could set up a stationary barrier that would be quicker, easier, and more effective than a bullet-proof vest.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.