Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#233418 - 10/09/11 07:58 AM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: Susan]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Susan

If it doesn't have all that regulated crap on it, how is it allowed/sold in the U.S.?

Sue

Lotus got an exemption on some things because they're such a small volume importer. However, I remember hearing that their free pass is about to run out, so they're going to have to add a bunch of crap into their cars soon.

A friend of mine is a big Lotus (Lotii?) collector. He let me take his Elise and Exige S for a drive a couple of times. It's about the closest thing to a street legal go-kart I've ever driven.

With that said, I think I've also driven motorcycles that were more practical. With my size 14 feet, I couldn't wear my normal shoes to drive 'em (the pedals and foot-well are too small); and at 6'3" I couldn't find a way to get in or out of the car that didn't make me look like a total dufus.

They've got a new one out called the Evora that's supposed to be a bit more practical, but at $65,000+ it's not exactly at the top of my purchase list.

#233420 - 10/09/11 10:08 AM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: Paul810]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Susan

If it doesn't have all that regulated crap on it, how is it allowed/sold in the U.S.?

Sue

What Paul said.

And Paul, I'm shorter than you and there is still no graceful way to get in and out of the car. The only person that I have seen that can is my friend that introduced me into the world of Lotus. She is a little taller than I am, she's 5'8". She can wear a short dress with heels and still remain a lady while she gets in and out of the car.

#233478 - 10/10/11 01:54 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Spare car key. Spare house key.

Here's my story that explains why I have spare car keys SEWN INTO MY LUGGAGE.

I was in the Rochester NY area on a business trip. After the meeting, I was getting ready to go through security, and I always zip my key ring & phone into my roll-on bag's outside pouch right as I go through security. Of course, no keys in my pocket. Oh boy...my flight is in 1 Hour and 30 minutes.. It's the second-to-last flight home of the day...the last flight is full. So it's the last flight for me.

I call the client - are my keys at their office? Nope.
I call the hotel - did I leave the keys in the hotel? YES!

But the hotel is a 45 minute 1 way drive back. My flight is in one hour 30 minutes...unless I can get a cab to drive really really fast...ugh..not going to happen.

The woman on the phone says, "Well, Joe here can come to the airport with your keys. Joe's a groundskeeper, but he'd be happy to come by. Where should he meet you?"

Joe showed up, I got home, but after that - spare keys are permanently enclosed in my EDC bag, my travel backpack and my roll-on.

#233490 - 10/10/11 05:08 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
This key-locked-in-car situation came up at our driver's meeting recently. One of the drivers left his key on the armrest, got out with his crew and automatically punched the door lock. At 3:00 a.m.

It ended up with our regional manager getting out of bed, calling a locksmith, and meeting him with payment.

I reached into my pocket for my small wallet that contains my DOT certif, my DL, debit card, credit card, small phone book and my extra set of keys (work van, personal car, house) and waved it around.

"Why not just spend a couple bucks for a duplicate door key?"

Some of the other drivers said it 'wasn't worth it', that they'd rather just break the window (it's not their vehicle). And sit in broken glass dust. Yeah. Smart.

Sue

#233495 - 10/10/11 05:47 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you have a high ground clearance vehicle, a brass bolt and stainless wing nut can usually find a place in an existing hole to secure a spare key... only your oil change guy will know..

#233498 - 10/10/11 06:03 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You have your own personal oil change guy?:)
Chances are your oil change guy won't even see it, they rarely manage to find all the grease fittings.

I used to tape mine over top of the tape over a rust hole, reach under and punch through the tape and you get your keys smile

#233503 - 10/10/11 09:21 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In your wallet of prob. simplest.

#233527 - 10/11/11 03:41 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
this thread has been limping along so long now, I'm not even sure if I've posted on it.

I advocate a magnetic key case attached to the vehicle somewhere (duct taped shut), in previous vehicles I've used bail wire to tie one to a spot underneath.

#233528 - 10/11/11 03:46 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
My car has a chip in it, but I was able to get a plastic key made by AAA that opens the door. The key was free, but in retrospect I would have paid $100 because the key has gotten me out of at least one bonehead maneuver.

I have a spare house key hidden on my property. It would be easier to force your way into my house, than to find the key.

#233540 - 10/11/11 11:10 PM Re: Best $4 you will ever spend [Re: comms]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: comms
I advocate a magnetic key case attached to the vehicle somewhere (duct taped shut), in previous vehicles I've used bail wire to tie one to a spot underneath.

Be careful where you place the magnetic key cases. Anywhere near a wheel well and the first puddle you hit it will be gone.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.