The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#233458 - 10/09/11 10:23 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Hikermor, Paranoia is the delusional state of mind of one who imagines that someone or something is out to get them and they are not. Geezerhood is the state of mind of one who knows that someone or something is out to get them.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#233459 - 10/09/11 10:57 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
At first I thought your post re "dirty fighting" was an attempt at humor. Evidently you are serious.

You go your way and I will go mine. Good luck.

Oh, and thanks for the warning if we should ever meet....I now know what to expect.

Edited by hikermor (10/09/11 10:59 PM)

#233460 - 10/09/11 11:07 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: hikermor]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: hikermor
At first I thought your post re "dirty fighting" was an attempt at humor. ....

I believe you have given the wrong contributor credit, but thanks anyway.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#233461 - 10/10/11 01:31 AM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
I am contemplating moving the spare tire and other gear from a roof rack to a small trailer. The roof rack gets a little less accessible to me every year. I dont' think my next truck will have a 4" lift kit either - it's just too much trouble to climb in and out of.

I've also firmly adopted a policy of buying my way out of trouble. I carry cell phones, PLB, SPOT, cash, credit cards, and even a significant amount of gold bullion hidden in my truck. I have memberships to Coachnet roadside assistance as well as the GEOS SPOT rescue service and the roadside assistance that Chrysler offers all their customers. I am prepared to shell out major amounts of cash to buy my way out of a bad spot. 20 years ago, I would have no problem hiking 5 miles with an empty gas can to get a refill but not today - Today, I'd shell out $200 for a gallon of gas in a heartbeat if I have to smile Old age has a way of changing your priorities and perspective. smile

Traveling alone is also going away for me bit by bit. I've found that it takes considerable effort and many years to cultivate traveling companion relationships and I have spent a lifetime doing this. I've found that multiple travel partners are the easiest way to go... In other words I have fishing partners and then I have offroading partners and then I have air travel partners and I have hunting partners, etc. It's hard to find one partner that wants to do everything you want to do and then still have a fun time. As I get older, I find it really nice to have some nieces and nephews and children and also friends who like to travel with me. As I get older, traveling alone is getting harder and harder to pull off successfully. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you spend your entire life building relationships around outdoor activities, then those same people still want you around even when you're old. As an example, I'm off to a hunting trip with a nephew in a couple of days - a tradition that I started with him 25 years ago when he was just a boy.

You also have to let the young folks know ahead of time what your limitations are. If you like to go to sleep at 8pm every night, need to be near a bathroom, and do not like to drink alcohol, then make sure your travel companions know this and will accomodate you, especially if they are younger. You don't want to find yourself in the middle of a rowdy dance hall at 1am and have no way out because your young nieces and nephews think it's cool to bring you along into their world. Another facet of this is "control" - as you get older, you need to maintain control over your situation to make things go your way.

A lot of people don't like to talk about this part - but cash is king. If you are poor then getting old isn't all that much fun. Like it or not, geezer survival hinges a lot on how much money you have. So save your pennies and if you don't know what "compound interest" is, then that should become your number one homework assignment.

#233466 - 10/10/11 02:58 AM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
gimpy Offline

Loc: PNW
Quote "......"compound interest" is....."
Your showing our age. That is primarily past tense now......:-(

That fact is essentially an indirect 'tax' on the people industrious enough to earn money and then smart enough to delay gratification by saving. Now, in order to prop up an economy ravaged by reckless irresponsible government spending, the govmt is manipulating interest rates to yield essentially nothing.

Well, when we saved it, it was the smart thing to do.....
Now it is looking like the 'spenders' are being rewarded and coming out ahead. We (society/govmt) are also rewarding those who live and party in the economic 'safety net'.

Things are turned up side down.
gimpy

#233467 - 10/10/11 03:11 AM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: hikermor]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
At first I thought your post re "dirty fighting" was an attempt at humor. Evidently you are serious.

You go your way and I will go mine. Good luck.

Oh, and thanks for the warning if we should ever meet....I now know what to expect.

Yes, if you attack me.

#233469 - 10/10/11 06:31 AM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Another thing. Susan, you are entirely too young to be commenting on a geezer thread...

Really?

I have some arthritis in one hip, grey hair, six cats, have no patience left at all and, as most here can attest, I no longer give a rat's patootie what most people think, and can irritate practically anyone at very short notice. Have I missed something?

Sue

#233474 - 10/10/11 12:11 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: Susan]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
"six cats"

Oh No she has cats!!!!
she really is a geezer LOL

Mike

#233491 - 10/10/11 05:10 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: kd7fqd]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Oh No she has cats!!!!
she really is a geezer LOL

HA! See?

TOLD YOU SO! TOLD YOU SO!

Sue

#233497 - 10/10/11 05:59 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The problem is, Sue, that the term "geezer" seems to be a term denoting males; it just doesn't work for ladies.
We need something a little different - "geezarina?" geezella?, geezeba?

I like geezella best.....

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.