Topic Options
#233437 - 10/09/11 04:24 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Many Many years ago, my mentor had a sign over his desk:
"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill."

Truer words never spoken.

We had to learn something to make it this far; so use it!

#233438 - 10/09/11 04:30 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
to add to what Cliff commented on ...

make sure you have steel entrance doors with quality deadbolts and reinforced striker plates...vision peep holes

combination of motion sensor lighting with continuous yard light (I get a couple of years out of a compact fluorescent)

wireless alarm and video monitoring systems are reasonable...even without a monitoring service

curbside house numbers in addition to visible house numbers for EMS

good neighbors are a bonus

and if your gun safe is running out of room... pre drill a hole near your doors for a 16D nail with the head removed...slip a piece of rubber tubing over the nail..slide on an archaic revolver thingie's barrel you don't shoot any more (Security Six and .44 Charter)....

remember you don't have to open the door just because somebody knocks on it...

#233441 - 10/09/11 04:43 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
bws48...years ago, at an Area 6 USPSA championship, a couple of young SF NCOs were on our squad...from their equipment it was pretty obvious they were either Delta, or trying out for the teams..I was shooting a single stack at that time, and had a good run... and one commented "sir, how in the hell did you beat me?" and the natural answer... "old age and treachery, and I just wore out a barrel with 80,000 rounds thru it"

#233447 - 10/09/11 06:00 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
"Dirty fighting," "sucker punches'" and "poaching" are short sighted ploys that are counter productive in the end. Eventually we will all die and all we will leave behind our legacy. I try to act so that mine will exemplify honesty, trustworthiness, and dependability rather than snarky, behind the back ploys

You are only fighting, needing to punch, or dispatching animals for survival, if things are pretty bad. Geezers are by definition at a competitive disadvantage and to survive need to consider going beyond what might be considered "fair" - even being "snarky" [whatever that means] and using "behind the back ploys."

We are discussing situations in which the goal is survival, not building your resume in the community. In such times, to be blunt, if the situation forces the choice, it is okay with me for you to go to your legacy first.

#233449 - 10/09/11 06:15 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
"Dirty fighting," "sucker punches'" and "poaching" are short sighted ploys that are counter productive in the end. Eventually we will all die and all we will leave behind our legacy. I try to act so that mine will exemplify honesty, trustworthiness, and dependability rather than snarky, behind the back ploys

I liked the advice, myself.

What's the point of using Marquess of Queensberry rules when your attackers are just predatory punks? They're not going to report that you went by the rules, and you'll be just as dead.

And suppose you have family to defend?

Sue

#233451 - 10/09/11 06:56 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
GEEZERHOOD 101 – RETURN WITHERING FIRE
My Geezerhood home defense weapon costs $4.90/sec to turn on. Being a Geezer, cost is of no concern – the noise is. In 14 seconds I must stuff another 100 round Beta C Mag in it to continue.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#233452 - 10/09/11 07:05 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Geezers also remember that you can't miss fast enough to win.

chaosmagnet (geezer in training)

#233453 - 10/09/11 08:09 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I love the paranoia in this thread. I don't advocate naivete, or remaining clueless, but adopting shady tactics as my primary strategy is not in the cards for me.

It is perfectly true that sweetness and light will not always prevail, and certainly geezers ought to have learned that adaptability is a good trait. It is a good idea to keep your powder dry and have weapons in good shape.

I think if you look at the responses to disasters and tough situations, that cooperation and working together is far superior, with better results for everyone, than forting up and guarding your stash. It didn't work for Gollum and it won't work for you, either (precioussss,,,,where is my preciousss?)

Another thing. Susan, you are entirely too young to be commenting on a geezer thread...

#233456 - 10/09/11 09:13 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Remember, we didn't get old by being nice.

#233457 - 10/09/11 09:30 PM Re: Survival for geezers [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
hikermor, I am sorry we are having this apparent failure of communication, but as a geezer I have learned to just move on when it does not work.

Geezers should know what they need to survive, do their best to redundantly secure those resources, and trust themselves to judge how much of those resources to share with others, if any. Harsh decisions and apparent cruelty, as well as dealing with survivor guilt, may become the norm in extreme survival challenges. Geezers have usually had to learn some mental toughness and dealt with the negative judgments of others.

Probably geezers have already begun limiting their exposure to risk, but in a survival emergency this should become a reflex and habit. Do what must be done in as low key a manner as possible, no more. Limit movement, visibility, noise, and all the other "look-at-me" signatures.

Develop what-to-do plans for when things fail, as many layers deep as you can afford and figure out. Do what-ifs on ETS that assume the unfair and the unfortunate have happened.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.