Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#232092 - 09/14/11 01:03 AM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
The problem with some TI cups is that they do not tolerate repeated high heat cycles and will warp after awhile which is troublesome for the TI cups that have a fitted lid.

I use a SS cup that has provided years of usefulness and will probably last for the rest of my hiking days. I am not a weight weenie when it comes to gear so I don't worry about the pros and cons of TI vs SS weights.

I would think that warping is not a problem if your cooking technique is basically boiling water. My SP 700 seems to handle that process just fine. Just don't let it run dry....

I am a weight weenie. While the law of diminishing returns does apply to the process of lightening your pack, years of mountain SAR taught me that searching out lightweight, functional (key word) gear was well worth the effort. Lighter equipment may or may not be more expensive.

#232097 - 09/14/11 01:34 AM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor

I am a weight weenie. While the law of diminishing returns does apply to the process of lightening your pack, years of mountain SAR taught me that searching out lightweight, functional (key word) gear was well worth the effort. Lighter equipment may or may not be more expensive.

The best way for any person to be a weight weenie is to lose some body lbs. There are not many people that cannot afford to do this. It would take a lot of expensive TI and other lightweight gear to make up for 5 -10 lbs of lost body weight...not to mention the obvious health benefits.

John Lubbock

#232099 - 09/14/11 01:56 AM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I haven't put any of my titanium over a flame so have no idea about whether it'd be prone to warp or how much of a problem warping would be. Good to know that could be an issue.

For me, the Snow Peak 700 is an emergency item only so wanted it to be as light as possible.

I don't backpack and if I want a hot beverage on a day hike will carry a thermos.

#232100 - 09/14/11 02:10 AM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You make a really good point. My concern for shaving pounds and ounces was probably at its height when I was running marathons and was also quite active in mountain SAR. My pack weight was usually around 45 pounds, occasionally up to 50, and a lot of it was mission critical material whose weight and bulk were fixed -radios, first aid items, climbing gear and the like. Everything that could do double duty, displayed versatility, or that was a bit lighter was welcomed.

The benefit was that I was able to respond immediately with my pack and stay in the field for two to three days, in either the desert or the mountains. There was a lot of seasonal adjustment - one of my colleagues remarked that in the summer our packs became "giant water bottles," and anything but lightweight. There is no getting around the need for water.

Currently, I must admit, I am not in marathoning shape, but I get along reasonably well for an old guy....

Back to your point - at one point, I did work at trimming my weight, getting it down to about 170-175; the improvement in my vigor and endurance was well worth it. Body weight is an excellent starting point for improving performance.

The bottom line is that there is precious little benefit to dragging around a lot of excess weight. Every bit shaved off will enhance performance. And yet, like so many other things, it is possible to carry this process to ridiculous, unproductive extremes.

#232102 - 09/14/11 02:21 AM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: Dagny]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Dagny

I haven't put any of my titanium over a flame so have no idea about whether it'd be prone to warp or how much of a problem warping would be. Good to know that could be an issue.

Heat from backpacking type stoves are not a problem, however wood fires are. I have an old TI cup somewhere that is warped from far too many exposures to hot wood fires. The warping is to the point that the lid does not close and the cup sits with a bit of lean to the left.

John Lubbock

#232109 - 09/14/11 03:31 AM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: Dagny]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Dagny

For me, the Snow Peak 700 is an emergency item only so wanted it to be as light as possible.

I don't backpack and if I want a hot beverage on a day hike will carry a thermos.

Do a test run at home if you've got a gas range. That way you'll also know how hot the handles will get. I've never had a problem with Ti stuff warping, but as others have said, never leave Ti empty on a flame.

The only cookware I know will not warp is my stainless GI canteen cup. Then again, its a solid hunk of steel.

Edited by LED (09/14/11 03:31 AM)

#232125 - 09/14/11 04:40 PM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

More pics of my Snow Peak 700 -- packed with some helpful items in a crunch. The smaller cup next to it is an Evernew titanium "Sierra cup" that serves as my dog's water cup. I have a Sierra cup in my rucksack whenever I walk her around town in addition to longer day hikes outside the Beltway.

The 700's contents are: Lipton soup mix, two packets of cocoa, Bic lighter, two firesteels, two firesteel strikers, Vaseline, cotton balls, Katadyn Micropur tablets and Doug's MK5 knife.

Am thinking I should take the soup mix and cocoa out of the original packaging and put them in more malleable zip lock bags.

Attachments
DSC_3254.JPG

DSC_3257.JPG

DSC_3258.JPG

DSC_3260.JPG

DSC_3263.JPG

#232126 - 09/14/11 04:48 PM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

The Evernew titanium Sierra cup, which REI carried for years but does not currently, weighs only 1.6 ounces (45.4 grams).

http://www.rei.com/product/607224/evernew-titanium-sierra-style-cup

Attachments
DSC_3246.JPG

DSC_3250.JPG

#232134 - 09/14/11 05:34 PM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: TeacherRO]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I have the same Snow Peak 700 which has had some use and still in great shape. I also have the smaller snow peak single wall in one of my smaller kits. Good stuff and light in weight for the packs.

#232146 - 09/14/11 08:12 PM Re: Today's easy addition: a tin cup [Re: Teslinhiker]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
The problem with some TI cups is that they do not tolerate repeated high heat cycles and will warp after awhile which is troublesome for the TI cups that have a fitted lid.

I use a SS cup that has provided years of usefulness and will probably last for the rest of my hiking days. I am not a weight weenie when it comes to gear so I don't worry about the pros and cons of TI vs SS weights.

I love pics of used gear. I'm going to purchase a stainless steel cup. cool

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.